+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have calculated that this financial year we will likely just be over the threshold for ftb part A (not eligible for part B as we both work) for the first time. I always thought it the threshold was quite high, but now that we are here, it doesn't feel high iykwim. But I don't feel particularly aggrieved. It would be handy, of course, as my son now needs a few allied health professional services, and they really add up.

But, even when we were considerably below the threshold, we weren't getting a lot anyway, so I don't think it's a priority to make the threshold lower.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We won't get anything because we are over the threshold and that's fine but like so many have said I would never care if a family earning $100k got something back.

That is not a great deal of money to live off and so therefore I think it is good that something goes back to those families!

We live in Sydney and I honestly don't know what we would do if we had to live on that sort if wage but its all about what you know as well. I'm sure if we had to then we would find a way but if we were on $100k I would certainly hope for some tax benefits tbh!

Two girls, one dream and baby you are it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We live 55kms out of Melb CBD in a low socio economic area. Our mortgage is $450 a week which is very similar to what we would pay in rent for a 4 bedroom house (5 kids with 1 on the way). Both my husband and I work full time but after $400 a week in child care costs, petrol $150 a week, food $150 a week max and basic bills (gas, electricity and water etc) there's never and I mean never anything left. FTB pays for the kids swimming, birthday and Christmas presents. We earn 85-90k per year and whilst I know a lot live on way less I have no idea how.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    But that is forgetting car registration (about $25 pw), utilities (water, gas, electricity) In Sydney most people are spending a minimum of about $50 a week on just electricity! There there is PHI- around another $60 pw, telephone (even on a prepaid mobile it could be close to $10 pw)- any medical/pharmacy and then all the costs of going to work eg. professional memberships, union fees ($25 pw) etc etc and car insurance ($15 pw?) I think I work out I have about $100 pw left- and I am still yet to pay water or gas bills or medical or have any luxuries.... or even put some away incase an appliance goes belly up
    We also pay all of the above and have a combined income of $60,000.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bellibean View Post
    We also pay all of the above and have a combined income of $60,000.
    Ok so you would have seen the mock up I did of expenses for a dual income household on $150k.

Let's have a look at a comparable situation for a couple with the same aged children and with a combined income of $60k.

The tax on that income would be approximately $4250.

So down to $55,750.

Childcare costs would be about $160 a day for the two children so $800 a week (i have used $80 a day per child instead of $120 a day because presumably two people earning $30k a year aren't working in the Sydney CBD).

Because of their income they are eligible for CCB at around 91% so they get $182 per child a week back. That takes their out of pocket cost down to $436 a week or $21k a year. Minus the $15k rebate they are out of pocket $6,800 a year.

So down to $48,950.

I've assumed that the will be renting in the same area as the other family so paying probably around $350p/w. So $18,200 a year. Minus the approx $4k rent assistance they would be entitled to. So $14k a year.

We're at $34,950.

Then minus the same $10k for transport and $8k for groceries and we're at $16,950.

Minus $2k for contents insurance.

$14,950.

Compared to the $17k for the family on $150,000.

Now the family on $60,000 will also be eligible for around $7,500 FTB. The family on $150,000 a year is eligible for none.

This isn't meant to reflect anyone's ACTUAL circumstances. Just an 'on paper' comparison of how these things work out at the end of the day.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (10-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sure, but it doesn't work that way, like you said, doesn't reflect circumstances. We paid $14,000 in tax, have a mortgage and no rent assistance.

Appreciate the calculations though. But I was just sayin, yanno?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sure, but it doesn't work that way, like you said, doesn't reflect circumstances. We paid $14,000 in tax, have a mortgage and no rent assistance.

Appreciate the calculations though. But I was just sayin, yanno?
    It's helpful for general perspective though, yeah?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, dunno. Don't think so. I still have lots of friends better off in similar circumstances with more left each week due to higher income.

And ftr, it doesn't bother me people getting FTB or assistance. The cost if living is too much for most people to afford.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You seriously know how much your friends have left over each week as disposable income? Like dollar amounts? Or you just assume?

Another example... We have $6.5k of out of pocket medical expenses last financial year. That is a hell of a lot!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, dunno. Don't think so. I still have lots of friends better off in similar circumstances with more left each week due to higher income.

And ftr, it doesn't bother me people getting FTB or assistance. The cost if living is too much for most people to afford.
    I don't understand why you don't think perspective is important?