+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    621
    Thanks
    1,324
    Thanked
    174
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ohh poor bubby and mummy!!
    yes I think the hospital stays definatley don't help. I find out in august if dd needs another op in a few months so I'm starting to stress abit now... She has kidney problems. It's so hard when your child is 'meant' to be doing something... But I guess no-one allows for medical issues/ops. I hope your lo is on the mend now... No baby should have to go through this

    Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315b using The Bub Hub mobile app

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    249
    Thanks
    112
    Thanked
    94
    Reviews
    0
    Hi Oilsmumma, i just want to offer some quiet advice that you can take or leave. First i would look at your dd's wake time in the mornings. 5am is super early to start the day! Do you have any succes in re-settling?...if no success after 45 odd mins then try delay the bottle untill at least 6am. This may encourage her to sleep longer next time. 5pm is a very early bed time. I think this might be where your problem lies. - Im no expert, but i think once you get a decent and consistant sleep routine, the feeds will work themselves out and lengthen, then bring in the solids.
    Now, as i said im no expert. But here is our routine for my 7 month old who we just started on solids 4 weeks ago. We basically kept the same routine but gave him food at "normal mealtimes". Hope it gives you some guidance.

    7am wake - 200ml bottle (if he wakes earlier, i re-settle)
    8am - offer breakfast - mashed banana with formula milk and some baby cereal.
    9.30am - sleep (re-settle untill 10.30/11am)
    11am - 200ml bottle
    12pm - offer lunch some puree vegies or finger foods. fruit afterwards.
    1.30pm - sleep (re-settle untill at least 3pm)
    3-4pm - 200mls bottle
    5pm - offer dinner red meat, fish, chicken with puree vegies and pasta/cous cous/rice. poached fruit to help himself to afterwards.
    6.30pm 200mls bottle
    7pm bed for the night.

    I make sure my son gets minimum 2.5 hours of day sleep into him. It can be hard and somtimes i will throw in a 3rd nap at 4.30pm to get it - usually have to take him for a walk in stroller.
    Wake times in mornings are the same every morning. (i set an alarm for myself to wake him if he is still sleeping) i re-settle if he wakes earlier to encourage the 7am wake up. I usually get 45mins more from him after i re-settle.
    I dont miss the 7pm bed time no matter what.
    I find the time i put him down for his morning sleep and how long he sleeps for that sleep, impacts on what time he wakes in the morning. Im yet to understand why though.

    Goodluck with it all.
    Last edited by B00ts; 05-08-2013 at 15:02.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    621
    Thanks
    1,324
    Thanked
    174
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by B00ts View Post
    Hi Oilsmumma, i just want to offer some quiet advice that you can take or leave. First i would look at your dd's wake time in the mornings. 5am is super early to start the day! Do you have any succes in re-settling?...if no success after 45 odd mins then try delay the bottle untill at least 6am. This may encourage her to sleep longer next time. 5pm is a very early bed time. I think this might be where your problem lies. - Im no expert, but i think once you get a decent and consistant sleep routine, the feeds will work themselves out and lengthen, then bring in the solids.
    Now, as i said im no expert. But here is our routine for my 7 month old who we just started on solids 4 weeks ago. We basically kept the same routine but gave him food at "normal mealtimes". Hope it gives you some guidance.

    7am wake - 200ml bottle (if he wakes earlier, i re-settle)
    8am - offer breakfast - mashed banana with formula milk and some baby cereal.
    9.30am - sleep (re-settle untill 10.30/11am)
    11am - 200ml bottle
    12pm - offer lunch some puree vegies or finger foods. fruit afterwards.
    1.30pm - sleep (re-settle untill at least 3pm)
    3-4pm - 200mls bottle
    5pm - offer dinner red meat, fish, chicken with puree vegies and pasta/cous cous/rice. poached fruit to help himself to afterwards.
    6.30pm 200mls bottle
    7pm bed for the night.

    I make sure my son gets minimum 2.5 hours of day sleep into him. It can be hard and somtimes i will throw in a 3rd nap at 4.30pm to get it - usually have to take him for a walk in stroller.
    Wake times in mornings are the same every morning. (i set an alarm for myself to wake him if he is still sleeping) i re-settle if he wakes earlier to encourage the 7am wake up. I usually get 45mins more from him after i re-settle.
    I dont miss the 7pm bed time no matter what.
    I find the time i put him down for his morning sleep and how long he sleeps for that sleep, impacts on what time he wakes in the morning. Im yet to understand why though.

    Goodluck with it all.
    Thank you so much for your reply, that was very kind of you!
    I couldn't help but chuckle to myself when I read it though as I would love to get lo to bed later and wake later :-)
    I should've noted that we do stretch her to 5:45-6am before we feed, we leave her to happily babble to herself for the 45mins to an hour. We don't have a problem with our bedtime routine just the timing!! Every time we try to even stretch her to 6/6:30pm it doesn't make a difference unfortunately. She is just beside herself tired and still wakes at 5-5:30am.
    Thank you for posting your routine also, really good to have a guide of another bub around the same age. I have managed to stretch out feeds to four hourly and incorporated the solids... Can I pls ask when you started your Lo on finger foods?
    Thanks again

    Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315b using The Bub Hub mobile app

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    249
    Thanks
    112
    Thanked
    94
    Reviews
    0
    I introduced DS to BLW and purees around 6-6.5mths old. We do a bit of both and he doesnt seem to get confused. He eats cut up quatered poached fruits himself and slices of tinned fruit after his meals (apricot halves, peaches, mango (i just drain and run under cold water to get rid of any syrup or juice).
    He also eats banana, wholemeal toast with some vegemite/no salt butter/avo, chunks of avocado, stalks of steamed broccoli, penne pasta, rice and pretty much any chunks of baked/steamed vege off our own plates.
    He loves lamb cuttlets (with handles!) and having a chew of a chunk of steak.
    He loves the odd plain cruskit to munch on and the good old arrowroot biscuit!
    With the purees, he has just started putting his hand into the bowl, scooping food up and shovelling it into his mouth. Messy, but he is basically feeding himself! I liked the idea of BLW and purees together because it got him used to both textures. He has no problem eating runny yoghurt/purees that i spoon feed him, toast he eats himself, or roughly mashed up meat and vege to munching on whole chunk of steak all by himself.

    Thats great you have been able to extend the feeds. I'd say she is overtired come 6pm because of her little cat naps during the day. If you can work on getting 2 solid day sleeps from her i think that would help with a possible later bedtime. I know it's hard, trust me i have been there and come out the other side. Even if you distract her come 5pm with a walk around the block in the pram either before or after a feed of solids, dont worry if she nods off....THEN start your night time routine. I have also heard a bath can stimulate some babies, so maybe this might be an idea to include into your routine if you havent already...it might just push out the 5pm bedtime
    On bath nights, we do them at 6pm.

    I just had a thought, she might be stiring, not waking at 5am...BUT hearing birds chirping and cars, bit of light ect - so she thinks it's time to start her day! The only idea i have for this would be to get her to bed a little later of a night. Try baby steps....5.30pm for one week....then stretch another 20mins further the following week and so on. Once you reach a 7pm bedtime, be consistant and also be consistant with the time you get her up in the mornings.
    Hope that helps and im not confusing you!
    Last edited by B00ts; 05-08-2013 at 20:03.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    621
    Thanks
    1,324
    Thanked
    174
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by B00ts View Post
    I introduced DS to BLW and purees around 6-6.5mths old. We do a bit of both and he doesnt seem to get confused. He eats cut up quatered poached fruits himself and slices of tinned fruit after his meals (apricot halves, peaches, mango (i just drain and run under cold water to get rid of any syrup or juice).
    He also eats banana, wholemeal toast with some vegemite/no salt butter/avo, chunks of avocado, stalks of steamed broccoli, penne pasta, rice and pretty much any chunks of baked/steamed vege off our own plates.
    He loves lamb cuttlets (with handles!) and having a chew of a chunk of steak.
    He loves the odd plain cruskit to munch on and the good old arrowroot biscuit!
    With the purees, he has just started putting his hand into the bowl, scooping food up and shovelling it into his mouth. Messy, but he is basically feeding himself! I liked the idea of BLW and purees together because it got him used to both textures. He has no problem eating runny yoghurt/purees that i spoon feed him, toast he eats himself, or roughly mashed up meat and vege to munching on whole chunk of steak all by himself.

    Thats great you have been able to extend the feeds. I'd say she is overtired come 6pm because of her little cat naps during the day. If you can work on getting 2 solid day sleeps from her i think that would help with a possible later bedtime. I know it's hard, trust me i have been there and come out the other side. Even if you distract her come 5pm with a walk around the block in the pram either before or after a feed of solids, dont worry if she nods off....THEN start your night time routine. I have also heard a bath can stimulate some babies, so maybe this might be an idea to include into your routine if you havent already...it might just push out the 5pm bedtime
    On bath nights, we do them at 6pm.

    I just had a thought, she might be stiring, not waking at 5am...BUT hearing birds chirping and cars, bit of light ect - so she thinks it's time to start her day! The only idea i have for this would be to get her to bed a little later of a night. Try baby steps....5.30pm for one week....then stretch another 20mins further the following week and so on. Once you reach a 7pm bedtime, be consistant and also be consistant with the time you get her up in the mornings.
    Hope that helps and im not confusing you!
    Thank u so so much for the food ideas! Is a great help to see and after I read it I gave dd toast with avocado and she LOVED it :-) I wanted to do blw though was unsure when to start but am confident now after trying her with brekkie. Mchn just told me today to get straight into textures also.
    My aim is to try stretch her gradually at night and see how we go! Booked into another sleep school tomorrow so hopefully they can help with daytime sleeps and it will fall into place. Thank u so much again, I really appreciate it

    Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315b using The Bub Hub mobile app

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    249
    Thanks
    112
    Thanked
    94
    Reviews
    0
    Glad i could help you. Your MCHN is right, keep introducing textures, herbs, spices everything!. I was a little worried about the choke factor as well, but you just have to give them a go at it! DS gagged a fair bit for maybe a few days (dont let this put you off, she's learning), but he then got the hang of it and has no problems at all. He just swallows everything now, sometimes whole!
    Try a lamb cuttlet with a handle - she will suck the juices and have a lovely time and it's a great sorce of iron. Add small soup pasta to her purees. Try rough mashing instead of puree and add you baby's milk or plain yoghurt to thin it out
    My DS had raisin toast this morning with a little unsalted butter. Thoroughly enjoyed it
    For a snack yesterday arvo he munched on a corn cruskit with cream cheese. LOVES cream cheese - calcuim!

    I also have a toddler, so the fact he can pretty much at whatever my toddler eats is a godsend and so much less fuss. Im so glad i got him onto whole foods early.

    Goodluck with the sleep school, i hope they can offer you more help and support. I think once you get her to a later bedtime and later wake time in the morning, then work on 2 solid day sleeps, i think it will be alot easier. You just need to keep doing the same things over and over, hence the saying "groundhog day!"
    Goodluck with stretching the night times....if she needs a cat nap at 4.30pm, go ahead but try not to put her in her cot or she may associate it with her usual 5pm bedtime. Go for a walk or use a baby swing if you have one, even go for a drive. Dont let any naps go past 5pm or you risk her not being ready for 7pm bed!
    Last edited by B00ts; 07-08-2013 at 10:06.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to B00ts For This Useful Post:

    olismumma  (08-08-2013)

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    629
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked
    166
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by olismumma View Post
    It's so hard isn't it?
    Dd has only just started sleeping through the night the last 5-6 weeks but we still have bad night's where she wakes and wants a feed. Hope you get some info too

    Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315b using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Yeah I'm sooo over it. Although two nights ago she only woke at 3.00 and 6.00. I can handle that!

  9. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    621
    Thanks
    1,324
    Thanked
    174
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by B00ts View Post
    Glad i could help you. Your MCHN is right, keep introducing textures, herbs, spices everything!. I was a little worried about the choke factor as well, but you just have to give them a go at it! DS gagged a fair bit for maybe a few days (dont let this put you off, she's learning), but he then got the hang of it and has no problems at all. He just swallows everything now, sometimes whole!
    Try a lamb cuttlet with a handle - she will suck the juices and have a lovely time and it's a great sorce of iron. Add small soup pasta to her purees. Try rough mashing instead of puree and add you baby's milk or plain yoghurt to thin it out
    My DS had raisin toast this morning with a little unsalted butter. Thoroughly enjoyed it
    For a snack yesterday arvo he munched on a corn cruskit with cream cheese. LOVES cream cheese - calcuim!

    I also have a toddler, so the fact he can pretty much at whatever my toddler eats is a godsend and so much less fuss. Im so glad i got him onto whole foods early.

    Goodluck with the sleep school, i hope they can offer you more help and support. I think once you get her to a later bedtime and later wake time in the morning, then work on 2 solid day sleeps, i think it will be alot easier. You just need to keep doing the same things over and over, hence the saying "groundhog day!"
    Goodluck with stretching the night times....if she needs a cat nap at 4.30pm, go ahead but try not to put her in her cot or she may associate it with her usual 5pm bedtime. Go for a walk or use a baby swing if you have one, even go for a drive. Dont let any naps go past 5pm or you risk her not being ready for 7pm bed!
    Boots! We did it!!!
    QEC really helped yesterday, she had 2x1.5hr sleeps and another hr catnap so we were able to get her to bed at 6:30 and started the day at 7am!!! I'm so stoked :-) she did wake at the usual 5:30am though resettled... Today is so far so good :-)

    Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315b using The Bub Hub mobile app

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to olismumma For This Useful Post:

    B00ts  (08-08-2013)

  11. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    249
    Thanks
    112
    Thanked
    94
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by olismumma View Post
    Boots! We did it!!!
    QEC really helped yesterday, she had 2x1.5hr sleeps and another hr catnap so we were able to get her to bed at 6:30 and started the day at 7am!!! I'm so stoked :-) she did wake at the usual 5:30am though resettled... Today is so far so good :-)

    Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315b using The Bub Hub mobile app
    FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!! keep it up and PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE dont give up!!! keep doing the same things to re-settle. Keep her days the same even if you have to stay home the next 2 weeks to drill it in. It's going to be hard before it gets better BUT you wont regret it once she clicks!!!
    im sooooo glad she re-settled for you at the 5.30am wake up!!!

    Yes, the longer day sleeps will help with the later bed time at night.
    Keep up the fab job you're doing and keep us posted

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to B00ts For This Useful Post:

    olismumma  (08-08-2013)

  13. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    621
    Thanks
    1,324
    Thanked
    174
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by B00ts View Post
    FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!! keep it up and PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE dont give up!!! keep doing the same things to re-settle. Keep her days the same even if you have to stay home the next 2 weeks to drill it in. It's going to be hard before it gets better BUT you wont regret it once she clicks!!!
    im sooooo glad she re-settled for you at the 5.30am wake up!!!

    Yes, the longer day sleeps will help with the later bed time at night.
    Keep up the fab job you're doing and keep us posted
    Thank u!
    It has not even been hard today, I'm so pleased. I think she knows the drill, she slept 2x2 hrs today and 1 hr catnap. Was so much easier than when she was younger. And all I gave to do when she wakes at the 40 min mark is give her the dummy if she calls out otherwise she drifts off herself.
    I think we've turned a corner :-)

    Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315b using The Bub Hub mobile app


 

Similar Threads

  1. SOS 24 month + Routine
    By MarkandSandy in forum General Sleeping & Settling Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-06-2013, 19:50
  2. 3 month old, routine disappeared
    By Sally1981 in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 23-02-2013, 11:18
  3. 4 month old routine
    By JesseBear in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-08-2012, 09:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Nice Pak Products
Australian Made and Owned. The Baby U Goat Milk Skincare range is enriched with soothing goats milk sourced from country, Victoria. Goat's milk has a pH level close to that of our own skin and contains natural sources of amino acids and vitamins.
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
Carmels Beauty Secrets
An online beauty and wellness site which offers simple and effective time saving methods and tips which help you look younger for longer.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!