+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Head lice

So first time school mummy here and we've had a note come home saying there has been head lice detected in my DD's class room.
    I have checked her head and i think shes clean but what should i do next? Should i keep checking (for how long)? Should i treat her even though i dont see any? Is there something i can use to prevent her from getting them?
    What should i use in the future if she does get them? I hate the idea of using those nasty chemicals.

I know head lice arent a big deal but im freaking out. Just the idea of head lice is making me itch!!!
    Last edited by loislane2010; 29-07-2013 at 17:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    50% mix apple cider vinegar and boiled water in 500ml spray bottle, 2-4drops of lavender, tea tree, rose, geranium essential oils you can add some citronella 2 drops as well if you like and spray on like styling spray morning and night plus after shampooing. Used this for the past 20 years of play group and school and it has been great as a repellant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I treat whenever a note comes home then 7 days later, just in case. We use Neutra Lice but there are lots of other ones on the market. Prep was the worst year for it, probably because they still play so close to each other at that age. Now she's older we rarely get a note home. In Prep when it was 4 or 5 times per term, so every few weeks, I didn't treat every time, but did treat at the start and end of each term.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I check their hair when notes come home and then 7 days later but I only treat when they have them. Mousse and hairspray is good to prevent them plus only wash hair on a Friday night. Nits love clean hair. I also use Neutra Lice spray when they do have them, it works great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Argh we've just been through our first run in with the annoying pests when 4 year old DD brought them home from kindy and also gave them to me! Even though you can't see any, I'd do a conditioner treatment just incase! I'm pregnant and can't use the nasty chemicals on myself or DD so I just saturated our hair with lots of plain conditioner and thoroughly combed it out with a nit comb. If she has any lice you'll see them in the conditioner that's combed out of the hair. If she does have any then do a follow up treatment 7-10 days afterwards to get any newly hatched lice.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I comb her hair for nits (apply ordinary conditioner to dry hair and comb whole head in small sections with a fine tooth (metal) nit comb)

If I find some - I treat. If not, I just do the preventative stuff ...

Preventative (DD has long hair)
    - always wear plaits to school
    - apply detangle solution with tea tree oil added (just buy essential oil tea tree and add to normal detangle) and sometimes de-frizz oil. The oil stuff seems to keep nits away super well
    - apply hair spray to plaits

Hair spray and oil make it hard for nits to hold on to the hair.

I do the conditioner and comb thing once every 2 weeks during term ... and extra if I get a note home saying there is nits going around.

If I do find nits - treat hair, and do the comb-conditioner thing every 2nd day for 2 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ozeymumof5 View Post
    I check their hair when notes come home and then 7 days later but I only treat when they have them.

Mousse and hairspray is good to prevent them plus only wash hair on a Friday night.
    This.

They are a massive problem at DD1s school (we got a note home in the first week of first term!) I use a nit comb and conditioner to check for them when notes come home, and I've found that hairspray works well to prevent them.