+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Exclamation Looking for Behavioural Doctors for a 5yr Boy / Dad / Mum in Melbourne VIC

Hi BH,

long time (hidden) reader, first time poster!

We've got a 5 1/2 yr boy is is very very rude, disrespectful and (based upon ours and few close fam/friends) acting out of control.

Even our teacher last week said that he's now starting to under-perform at school.

Anyways - I'm looking for some medical help. Does anyone have any recommendations for a behavioural doctor in Melb, Vic. Preferably in the Northern Suburbs near Fairfield/Ivanhoe/Heidelberg ?

There's no doubt that part of his rudeness and antisocial behaviour is due to our (my + wifes) failed parenting, so we're all in this together.

It's gone on for too many years - we need to step this up a notch and get a professional to fix all 3 of us up.

Suggestions please kind people?

Lastly, any rebates from the govt for any medical services we incur? We have private health with BUPA. If there are some 'keywords' we can look at in out policy, that would help us heaps. (Eg. search in your policy for 'child psychotherapy or whatever)

Thanks BH'ers. Much appreciated!

-A disfunctional Dad .. wanting to fix things up-

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think the first step would be seeking a pediatrician or a GP who will refer you to the right place. You normally need refferals to see specialized drs/people in the medical field.
    Other than that giant hugs, don't bash yourselves up, you are taking steps to help with behavior, it could just be a reaction to something has his life changed at all when his behavior started to spiral? Does he react to food colourings, preservatives etc? You will get there and it's great that you are all working together
    Regarding PHI I have no idea as we are just public but someone on here will be able to help you I'm sure
    Good luck xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Have you spoken to the school about getting an assessment? Schools can often send letters of recommendation to your GP outlining behaviours which can then get you a referral to a child or family psychologist.

I would start with the school, they have resources to assist you. You will need to be working with the school in regards to behaviour management anyway so it's good to be on the same page.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Monster & Boof  (29-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Dr Joe Nastasi. Not sure if he will e able to help but worth looking into.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Try Dr. Rick Jarmin @ RCH. He is a senior doc there and I heard quite good. He has private rooms at rch.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You can also send a gp referal to rch in the public area and ring 9345 3911 and ask about their waiting lists. That's where clinics run from fir behavioral mainly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Best place to start is a gp. A referral to a psychologist would be a great place to start. If you private message me I can send more information.

The parenting research centre runs some parenting programs that may help.

You can also call your local child youth mental health service. They generally prioritize children under 6.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have the answers you were asking for but just wanted to pose another idea. My son has coeliac disease and if he has gluten it causes him to behave badly. He is irritable, aggressive, really just mean. He is also lethargic and uncooperative. I've noticed other things in food affect him as well. I wonder if your son's behaviour could be diet related also. He may have an intolerance to gluten or other things he eats. Have a look into the RPA hospital failsafe diet.