+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Sprained ankle

I sprained my ankle Friday afternoon been to hospital x- ray to make sure
    Not broken etc but just want to ask who else has done this and how long toll you felt all better?

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I sprained my ankle really badly once. The doctor at ER said to me that sometimes sprains can be worse than fractures, depending on how bad, and mine was a shocker. It was twice the size of my other other ankle and the swelling was all down my foot and up my leg, the bruising was insane. It was two weeks before I could put any kind of weight on it, and I had to have all that time off work as I couldn't get up and down the stairs at the station and fight my way through rush hour crowds. I was on crutches for about 6 weeks, after 10 weeks it was still tender. And it was weak from that point on, I would just keep rolling it all the time. Even now - 8 years later It is weaker than the other one and I have to be careful not to roll on it.

It just really depends on how bad it is. But that was a bad sprain. I've had minor sprains that felt better in a a few days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes, depends on how bad it is, and how much time you can spend off it. I sprained my ankle a lot as a teen (played hockey) and sometimes I wasn't able to do much on it for 3-4 weeks, others were just a few days.

Just remember to RICE it and take anti-inflamatories.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd recommend seeing a physio if you can. They can do some ultrasound treatment and give you recovery and preventative exercises. Put some Ice water in a bucket and try keep your ankle in there for 30 seconds and do it as many times as you can bear. It really helps with the swelling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and to answer your question! I've done it a lot and recovery has ranged from 1-6 weeks. Ice buckets gave me shortest recovery time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told by the doctor to wear the compression bandage for 2 days. Rest, elevate, ice. But I haven't done those past the first day! And do ankle exercises. And start walking on it ASAP will be best for it to start strengthening and healing. I'm not to fond of the ice bucket idea in winter lol! YestesayI could hobble about on it. Today swelling slightly down. Bruising setting in. I can walk with a limp but still tender.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Multiple ankle sprainer here, also a physio. You have been given pretty good advice on here - you will need to do range of movement and strengthening exercises to start with, and then incorporate some balance exercises. Seeing a physio will definitely help you get the right balance and will make sure that you are working it to the appropriate level for your stage of injury. They can also show you how to tape your ankle to make walking easier.

The actual ligament takes about 6 weeks to heal, but you should be walking well on it within a week or two,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep, a good physio will help a lot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok will look into physio how much are they though?

Thanks
    Reviews
    About $60-70.