+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Over my 9 month old!

DS is usually a great sleeper. He has two good 2 hour naps a day and is usually asleep by 6, sometimes 6:30 and sleeping 12-13 hours. I know I don't have much to complain about... But on the nights he wakes for a bottle, we're awake for 2+ hours!!!

Sometimes he wants to play, he'll cuddle but just want to stare at me or play with my face, smack his blanket around, etc. and often when I think he's at the stage after cuddling and patting that he's asleep and I put him down, he wakes up and immediately smiles at me and starts chatting.

His naps are always with a bottle which he most of the time falls asleep with, bed time as well or cuddles if he hasn't. But when he wakes at 1/2AM he has his bottle and then wants to play. He sleeps in our room still in his own cot, refuse to let him cry (although some night when it's 3 hours and counting I wish I could!) and patting in his cot doesn't work, he thinks that's hilarious or just cries.

Is there anything I can do? Co-sleeping is out of the question as we only have a double bed and DS moves and sleeps on his tummy, and there's no room to sidecar his cot. Help

Thanks
    Reviews
    He also used to self-settle on his own (none-minimal crying after deciding he hated being rocked to sleep) really well until he got sick a few months ago and ever since then we've been back to cuddling to sleep. Which is not an issue, but 2-3 hours awake is!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Perhaps cut his day sleep total to 3 hours? I was having terrible trouble with 7 month old DD doing the same and once I dropped her from three to two naps things improved. We still regularly have crappy nights.

Also you probably already are but I would be keeping interaction minimal while he's awake at night. Enough to provide reassurance if he gets distressed but nothing stimulating

4. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

callmedragon22  (29-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Maybe it's time to try moving him from your room? As he's getting older, he's maybe more aware of your presence right there so is 'playing' for you?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you tried re-settling him without giving him a bottle? He obviously can go without it if he sleep through other nights. I would also move him into another room if you can as he might sleep through more.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    Maybe it's time to try moving him from your room? As he's getting older, he's maybe more aware of your presence right there so is 'playing' for you?
    This..... And I suspect it's teeth. My DD (14 months) does this while teething. She is awake for massive blocks while teething and is usually happy but screams if we leave the room!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MinnieMouse81 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnieMouse81 View Post
    This..... And I suspect it's teeth. My DD (14 months) does this while teething. She is awake for massive blocks while teething and is usually happy but screams if we leave the room!
    I also wonder if it might be teeth. Waking in the middle of the night for hours wanting to play was also my DDs pattern while teething. Took multiple teeth to figure out what was going on! Very annoying. But it did pass.....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep... St the moment DD is happy as Larry during the day but dribbles all day and every third night or so is awake for a 2-3 hour block. Hasn't happened for four nights so not looking forward to tonight! For us a bottle is the only thing that works in the end (sometimes two). Last night a breastfeed did work but usually she just bites me!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MinnieMouse81 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by duckduckgoose View Post
    Perhaps cut his day sleep total to 3 hours? I was having terrible trouble with 7 month old DD doing the same and once I dropped her from three to two naps things improved. We still regularly have crappy nights.

Also you probably already are but I would be keeping interaction minimal while he's awake at night. Enough to provide reassurance if he gets distressed but nothing stimulating
    He gets so cranky if he doesn't have his sleeps, and even with 4 hours is tired and ready for bed by 5. He loves his sleep!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    We can't just yet, we're renting and waiting for new blinds to be put into his room, there's nothing in there at the moment,

Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    I also wonder if it might be teeth. Waking in the middle of the night for hours wanting to play was also my DDs pattern while teething. Took multiple teeth to figure out what was going on! Very annoying. But it did pass.....
    Ooooo this is a possibility! We've just got our first teeth in the past 2 weeks and he's currently cutting 3 at once! He's pretty happy though. Hoping it passes soon!

Thanks everyone