+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Off his food

Our little man is not eating as much as he should. By that I mean he picks at his breakfast, refuses lunch and snacks (but we coax him to eat a little before the tantrum sets in) and dinner is a few mouthfuls and that's it.

He has been sick recently with a slight cold but is otherwise energetic, happy and playful. But when it comes to meal times he's just not interested. I am patient and I coax him but he just spits it out and shakes his head.

I understand that kids go off their foods for various reasons. In the meantime, what do you use as a substitute? Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How long has he been off food? My DS seems to eat like a horse one week and barely anything the next. I don't supplement with anything, just continue on with the same meals, though smaller portions.

Seems kids just naturally follow their appetite, which is a good thing, and unless he's not eating well for an extended period I wouldn't worry.

Sent from my HUAWEI-U8850 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (29-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Could he be teething? I find DS goes off his food then or if off colour. He is fussy at the best of times though. All you can do is offer the food, make sure you always include something he really likes so if he doesn't eat the rest he might at least have that.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure what you mean by extended period but this has been going on for the past week or so now. He has a head full of teeth but, true, he may well be teething as he does go off his food around that time (has done before).

I've tried everything he likes but no dice. Already a wiry (but tall) child, I don't want him losing weight so that he looks like he's just been released from a camp!

It's probably nothing to worry about but I guess I am sensitive about it because when he was around 7 months old, we copped constant comments by community nurses about his weight (when he was eating like a horse) and made to come back in weekly for weight checks. The nurses would say: "are you SURE you are feeding him enough? He looks really underweight..." We had to get a paediatrician to intervene and crack down on the community nurses when one of them mentioned Families SA and mandatory reporting. I just lost it at them then and vowed never to go back so I'd rather approach this forum with experienced mums than health professionals about this. Sorry if it sounds a bit trivial!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Dd goes through phases of living off air. One of the best things someone said to me was to monitor their intake weekly or fortnightly rather than daily. I found that while there were some days she would barely eat anything, she would have catch up days where she ate quite a bit.

I just always made sure she had plenty of milk and water. I was always more worried about dehydration. Kids are - generally - good at regulating their food intake according to need.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you tried smoothies? I find when DS won't eat he'll always drink a smoothie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What do you give him to drink during the day? Maybe his cold has turned him off food a little? Toddlers are weird little creatures - my DS eats like a horse one day then average amounts the next day!