+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anyone with children at Perth Waldorf School or Blue Gum Montessori in WA

Post removed by Blue1234
    Thread: 501486
    Last edited by BH-tech; 07-01-2016 at 16:19. Reason: SEO

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Hi Pri,

We are in Melbourne so I don't have direct experience of any Perth schools. I will say, however, that Waldorf/Steiner and Montessori are VERY different in application, and I would be looking at your son's personality and learning style and making the decision based on that.

This may be my prejudice as a Montessori parent, so I would very much like Steiner parents to correct me if I'm wrong, but Steiner seems very much about fitting children into a developmental model, where they progress to different activities at different ages, whereas Montessori is based on the idea that all children pass through the various developmental stages at different rates, and that holding them back is as detrimental as pushing them into something before they are ready.

Both Steiner and Montessori believe in kindergarden, in particular, being a very nurturing, home-like place, and children learning through a variety of different methods. Montessori, however, "follows the child" whereas Steiner, from what I can tell, requires the child follow Rudolf Steiner's beliefs about children's development. That's fine if your child is developing along Mr Steiner's timetable, but not so much if they are developmentally ahead or behind.

My girls are now aged 6 and 8 and both have been at a Montessori school since three years of age. I have never had a moment's doubt that Montessori is the best possible place for them, even though they are very different kids. I love the way that Montessori kids don't see boundaries between home and school ... they do projects at home for fun, and end up doing things at school based on their homelives, whether it be learning about bulbs because they've helped plant the garden at home, or talking about life cycles and birth because someone has just had a new brother or sister.

Getting back to your decision, I would recommend doing some reading on the differences between Waldorf/Steiner and the Montessori Method, and thinking about how these might fit in with your family. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Obviously I'm not here a lot anymore either - so glad it could help