+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Eating fish during pregnancy

Hi fellow bub hubbers.

I'm 10w+1day and I love my tuna and salmon. This is my second pregnancy, so I know you have to be really careful with eating fish during pregnancy. What are the limits?

How many cans of tuna/salmon p/w?

How much regular deep sea salmon?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would limit deep sea fish to once a week or less. I still ate tuna and salmon but limited it.
    Why not have some other fish, thinks like barramundi, flathead are ok.

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I've heard you can have as much salmon as you like? But should limit tuna to 1-2 serves a week. Though I've also heard if its canned tuna its ok anyway...something to do with the canning process.

Your supposed to avoid stuff like shark (ie. Flake) as it can have high levels of metal (murcury). I've just been eating what I like though as I'm not a big sea food eater anyway...had a flake for the first time in two years a couple of weeks ago.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Fish is fine - especially salmon and especially when pregnant aim for at least 2-3 serves a week - most Australian fish is low in mercury and as pp said its just the deep sea kinds like shark , marlin , swordfish etc that you should not eat a lot of and buy Australian fish or seafood if you can

http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/.../#.UfR6h2QazCQ

Thanks
    Reviews
    Salmon is actually better than barramundi, as far as mercury goes.
    Flathead & Snapper are good choices for white fish. The guidelines are 3 serves per week for low mercury seafood (such as salmon, flathead etc) but try to stay away, or only eat rarely, higher mercury fish.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm having a small tin of flavoured tuna probably 3 or 4 times a week and fish and chips on a Friday night and have no idea what type of fish they use, probably shark but haven't asked. It's not something I thought was a potential problem?

Thanks
    Reviews
    You should ask what sort of fish they're using because it is a potential problem. The official guidelines on fish consumption in pregnancy & lists of fish names are very easy to find by googling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    My doc told me one serve of tuna per week: be careful about having 3+ cans.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The nsw food authority has some great information on their site as a PP has posted. It says its safe to eat 2-3 serves of salmon or Tuna a week, canned or fresh.
    Last edited by inertia; 30-07-2013 at 07:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I stick to 2- 3 serves a week of tuna, salmon or other white fish. I dont touch shark or swordfish anytime anymore- even when not pregnant.