+ Reply to Thread
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15

Default Successful VBAC's- did you get yours?

So I'm 39 weeks today and all throughout this pregnancy my ob and I have been talking VBAC.
    Baby is still sitting up high, no engagement, no BH, nothing to indicate that I will go into labour any time soon- which has prompted my dr to say that by my scheduled appt with him at 40+3, if it still looks like it will be a while away, then ill be booked in for a c/s by the end of that week.

Whilst the possibility if having another c/s doesn't really worry me, the recovery time does- dp only gets 2 weeks off work this time, and I have the boys to take care of too- they need to go to kinder 3 days a week as well as normal life happening as well!

Did you get your planned VBAC? Did it look like at any stage you were going to miss out? Or did you miss out? Just interested to know of others experiences at this stage- I don't have much else to do to keep my mind busy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes, I did get my VBAC, but for me, it was a no brainer. I had made it very clear that I would not be having another c-section unless there was immediate danger to myself or my baby. It wasn't popular, and I had to fight numerous times with the Ob, because for whatever reason I guess he thought I would back down - I didn't.

I never had any 'signs' that labour was imminent either. DS1 was always up pretty high, never fully engaged into my pelvis, I had no braxton hicks at all, no nothing. But low and behold, I did go into labour spontaneously, and there's no way that it was going to be predicted as I still had no warning signs that labour was about to start, it just started.

I guess for me, because I was so against the idea of another c-section, that little details like "post dates" and "baby not engaged" were not good enough reasons. I also laboured at home for 24 hours before heading to the hospital to give myself the best possible chances of a vaginal birth, without the time restrictions that I had been told would apply.

The road to my VBAC was certainly not an easy one, I was still having to fight for it whilst I was in active labour and had the classic 'dead baby' card pulled a few times, but it was nothing more than scare tactics. I guess what I'm getting at, is to avoid a c-section, there may be times that you will still have to fight against it, despite things progressing well, which is terribly wrong, on the care providers part.

I really hope that these are non-issues for you though, and that you simply go into labour, and have a baby and everything goes swimmingly and your hospital 'team' are supportive enough to leave you to do your thing

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (27-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes - two now

My body didn't go into labour with my first child and the placenta perished so had to get him out.

With our second it seemed as though my body was still getting used to the idea of going into labour, but it started itself and I had contractions every 3 mins for two days, but dilation was slow but they were encouraging that I could do this. When I finally got to 7cm after two days they broke my waters as they could see I was getting tired. Gave me an injection to slow down contractions as they became too intense. He got stuck for a few hours on my cervix, but then when that was over my uterus stopped contracting and took 40min to push him out. But sooo worth it! Healed much faster, no throwing up, could lift, walk, do groceries

They can also induce mechanically if you don't go into labour naturally. My 2nd vbac came the day before they were going to do this! Much quicker, half day of pre-labour, then 5 hours to become fully dilated and out in two pushes. Went home that night - even better.

All the best Nomsie!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Ted For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (27-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Fortunatley I was able to have my planned vbac, all 3 of them, but to be honest, I wasn't going to have it any other way. (that was my mindset anyway).
    My first baby was a c/s because she was breech so I knew that there was no medical reason for me not to be able to try for a vbac and with this in mind I did all I could to research the whys and why nots and attended a vbac info course that the Hospy ran, just so I could know 'ahead of time' what they deemed acceptable in terms of vbac. That then enabled me to go away and think about what I would be willing to accept/not accept and I wrote a birth plan and clued my DH up on it so that he could act as my advocate once I was in labour etc and this was invaluable as it would turn out.

I didn't have an OB, but had midwifery care, so I found it quite easy to say no to anything which I deemed counter productive to having a successful vbac. I said to leave me alone till at least 41 weeks (which they agreed to) I refused any stretch and sweeps and pretty much was left to my own devices to go in to spontaneous labour which thankfully I did at 38wks, 40wks and 40wks. The first vbac I laboured in the water till the pushing stage and that is when an Ob entered the room and tried to alter the course of everything the midwives were happy to do (let me birth in the bath). So she ordered the midwives to put me up on the bed, on my back and to be monitored. I immediately knew then and there that this is what I had read about with the medical fraternity not giving vbacers a chance so to speak and that it would all go pear shaped and I wouldn't get my vbac. The Ob wanted to give me an episiotomy and I gave my husband 'a look', so then he stepped up and told her no, and that I would be wanting to birth on all fours (not on my back as she was insisting on) and that I was progressing quite well and there was no need to put time limits on my pushing. He then whispered in my ear 'you can do it Uniquey, show her' and with that (no word of a lie), I pushed with all my might and out popped my daughter! No episiotomy, no drugs, nothing. The feeling of relief that I did it, that I didn't let her boss me around for no good reason, was enormous!

After the first vbac, I was well aware of labour and what might be suggested to me, so I felt a lot more confident. This time I was in a different Hospital under the midwifery case load program which was a God send. This time things were really on my terms and I laboured at home till the contractions were on top of each other and this helped a lot! The only thing I was offered (at 39 weeks) was a stretch and sweep and again, I said no as there was no reason for one (the midwife was happy with that) and I went into spontaneous labour when my body was ready. I am fortunate in that my body co-operated and I was able to have two other vaginal births without drugs and time limits.
    With each vbac, I was read the usual spiel of the risks associated with having one and also had to sign a document which said that I was aware of the possible risks etc, and that was fine. I guess having known the risks beforehand and the possible 'restrictions' which may have been placed on me, helped me to know beforehand what I was and wasn't going to accept. All that said, I still retained flexibility in that, I knew if there was an emergency regarding the baby's life or my own, I was prepared to go along with what needed to be done, but I wasn't prepared to accept the usual 'vbac' conditions.
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 27-07-2013 at 11:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn't get my VBAC - however I was very supported throughout. There were moments due to my GDM where i thought I would have to fight, but as I managed it well that became less of an issue too. I went into labout at 39+2 at 1am. By 11am I was effacing but not yet dilating, waters had broken by themself, contractions around 3-5mins (depending on if active or not), some meconium in the waters and then DS's heart rate started to elevate. Inititally it was staying up around 180pbm, but it did settle back down to around 160 (the top end of 'normal') and spiking during contractions. There was concern over the strain this would place on DS as I could still be labouring for a very long time yet given I had not progressed much in almost 12 hours. (1st CS was due to tachicardia - up to 210bpm - caused by maternal fever during spontaneous labour)

At this stage i was still given options, it was never "you must have another CS". They would have given me pitocin to ramp up the contractions to see if things could be sped up. However, having had 2 miscarriages prior to that pregnancy, it was me being overly-cautious.

Mentally I'm in so much better a place after this CS. I always felt like I was the one in control and making choices. The initial recovery was a lot better, it now seems to have slowed a little but I think that's more 2nd baby things (weaker muscles etc) plus being 5 years older!

Best of luck!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (27-07-2013)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I sure did- here's my birth story

http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f....php?p=6940331

I was never fussed either way about VBACing. I wanted to give it a try, but I wasn't adamant about it. I just knew all throughout my pregnancy that there was absolutely no reason why I couldn't try for one. I had a couple of Obs (public, so saw a few different ones) try to give me the big scare into an elective, but I just smiled and nodded and rolled my eyes behind my back at them. My plan was to fly under the radar, not let them think I was going to be 'difficult' about it, and present at the hospital in full blown labour. I was counting on the midwives on duty helping me bend the rules where we could re. monitoring etc. Worked out for me in the end, I was totally right about the midwives being in my corner

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (27-07-2013)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I didn't get my VBAC but it wasn't due to lack of support by my care provider. I also was able to go into spontaneous labour and go through the stages necessary. The only reason it wasn't successful was due to DD being a face presentation and it caused some complications. I don't regret it and feel despite having a csection that my recovery etc was considerably better than with my DS' birth because of the spontaneous labour.

40+3 seems to be a funny date to create a cut off. Is there a reason for this date?
    I think 40+3 is her last appointment, and a c-section will be booked for a later date. My hospital said the same, I could come in at 40+2 for a s&s (that was just the date of my next appointment, I always went on a Tuesday), and we could book in for an induction or c-section for 10 days past my EDD. 10 days was their cut off. I was happy to do that, but I was quite confident I wouldn't go that far.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (28-07-2013)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Yes FL is right, it's the date if my last appointment. My ob has said he would only like for me to go up to 41 weeks at the most though, so the c/s would be booked for within the next 3 days.
    If I happen to go into spontaneous labour before the surgery then it would still be ok to let that happen, but he does seem adamant that I shall not go past 41 weeks?!