+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    Yes, just the bagged spinach from woollies, as I figured it was safer than then unbagged and that it was probably too sensitive to wash in vinegar. I put spinach in my smoothie.

Does anyone wash their lettuce or spinach in their vinegar baths?

ETA: should I avoid their bagged lettuce? I never buy it but this week I was massively craving salads so bought a bag of their 'washed and ready to eat.'
    Woollies have a very strict QA program (I am QA manager & deal with it daily) less likely to have any issues buying from Woolworths for this reason but it is still high risk product & if its not handled or stored correctly it can become dangerous.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Missy18 View Post
    Woollies have a very strict QA program (I am QA manager & deal with it daily) less likely to have any issues buying from Woolworths for this reason but it is still high risk product & if its not handled or stored correctly it can become dangerous.
    Cool, I won't touch what's leftover!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Dp has told me there is often rats in the warehouse getting into the fruit & veg, also snakes, frogs, spiders, and he recently saw someone drop a pallet of strawberries and repack them back into the punnets as best they could after they'd been on the ground, I wouldn't just be worried about the supermarkets handling of produce!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Temet Nosce~ View Post
    Dp has told me there is often rats in the warehouse getting into the fruit & veg, also snakes, frogs, spiders, and he recently saw someone drop a pallet of strawberries and repack them back into the punnets as best they could after they'd been on the ground, I wouldn't just be worried about the supermarkets handling of produce!
    We had a snake come in on a pallet of bananas when I worked at coles. So glad I wasn't there to see it... would have freaked out massively!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I always buy prepackaged lettuce, krist, I just wash it before eating it. We have a salad spinner which I love. I wash it just before eating rather than taking the chance of storing it in water left from the rinsing. I think eating freshly washed spinach is a better idea than not having it if you're craving salad!!

sent from my magical device

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey angelini what is a salad spinner...where do u get them?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Temet Nosce~ View Post
    Yes !! This!!
    I work in the wholesale markets & the rats are bigger than small dogs!
    Some if the things I have seen 😳 gross...

I was referring to handling from the farm through to the store shelf a lot of different variables that can effect the product quality & safety...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Missy18 For This Useful Post:

Sairz  (28-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Reading these posts make me feel less of a weirdo about how i handle my food now lol, i thought i was over the top being so careful at what i buy and eat etc, now i am wondering if i should be more careful, the only salad i buy are tomatoes, cucumber, celery and carrot, i peel the cucumber and carrot but only rinse the tomatoes and celery. When hubby looks at me weird again about how i am washing my veges i think i will direct him here to read how normal it is for me to be doing it lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    We had a snake come in on a pallet of bananas when I worked at coles. So glad I wasn't there to see it... would have freaked out massively!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Would have been a nasty surprise!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I pop them all into the sink with some cold water when I get home from the shop then wipe them over with the enjo fruit and veg cloth, it removes wax, dirt, dust, pesticides, fertilisers, fungi and bacteria

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast