+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How do you wash your fruit and veg?

So recently I have become so extremely paranoid about listeria, I am 29 weeks and earlier in my pregnancy it was always a concern and I was aware but now for some reason it is literally playing on my mind 24/7, I worry about everything I am eating and even having nightmares (I sincerely hope this isn't a sign)! Even things like milk I found a thread on bubhub about it being recalled for listeria!

Anyway, my question for you is how are you all washing ur fruit and veg? How long is enough time under running water and do I need to scrub or use anything? I read that cucumbers should be scrubbed as they are a high risk for listeria! I have not been doing this.

I think I really need to stop Googling. Someone please tell me I am not the only paranoid crazy pregnant lady here lol

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Why not just peel them if it stresses you so much? I have never washed more than a quick rinse under the tap but I'm pretty lazy like that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I wash ours with a fruit and veggie wash ( enviro wash ) just fill up sink with water, add a few drops of this and let soak for a few minutes then rinse - I use apple cider vinegar as a substitute as well - we use mainly organic fruit and veg so I find they have more dirt than store bought ones! I keep the skin on most things ( more nutrients!) and we eat a lot of raw veggies so I'm a bit over the top with making sure they are clean !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    Why not just peel them if it stresses you so much? I have never washed more than a quick rinse under the tap but I'm pretty lazy like that
    Me too, I don't think I even realised fruit and veg had a listeria risk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I soak everything in a vinegar and water bath for about an hour, then rinse. Although I don't do mushrooms because the vinegar makes them go funny, so wash them under warm water before use, they get cooked anyways.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I also thought the fear with fruit and veg was more toxoplasmosis rather than listeria?? Either way they're not good!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mama and her little bear View Post
    I wash everything before consumption, hot water and a good scrub with clean hands before I eat it (even stuff Im peeling) I dont do it because of listeria / toxo risk I do it to reduce chemical consumption, I wish I could grow my own garden but everything I plant dies
    I do this as well, mostly because I read when the states had a listeria outbreak from cantaloupe it was because the listeria was on the rind and when people cut through the rind to the flesh they transferred the bacteria to the inside with the knife.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    I was reflecting on this the other day asking myself honestly what does quickly wetting fruit and veg actually achieve......

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Cdro  (27-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    I was reflecting on this the other day asking myself honestly what does quickly wetting fruit and veg actually achieve......

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Yeah, probably nothing, but in my head I am removing fingerprints of the person who stacked, picked or picked them up in the shop. I'm of the belief that if I'm going to get listeria etc my chances of getting if off an unwashed apple are pretty low.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just wash them with cold water long enough to do the whole thing...that's it.