+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I disagree with them also because all students do not have the same ability. In a class of 25, not everyone is going to be at year 3 spelling, maths etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I disagree with them also because all students do not have the same ability. In a class of 25, not everyone is going to be at year 3 spelling, maths etc.
    This exactly. And the ones who aren't up to speed feel miserable because they don't understand. . those who are competent are bored because it's too easy. ...
    And when you have them and parents have paid good money for them they expect them to be used. Which is why we are phasing them out and I think if used they are not the main thing. ..I don't think teachers should teach to the textbook.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    This exactly. And the ones who aren't up to speed feel miserable because they don't understand. . those who are competent are bored because it's too easy. ...
    And when you have them and parents have paid good money for them they expect them to be used. Which is why we are phasing them out and I think if used they are not the main thing. ..I don't think teachers should teach to the textbook.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last year I had 3 maths groups, 4 spelling groups and 6 reading groups because there was that much of a range. And I only had 24 students.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow I hadn't even heard of textbooks in primary schools! My DD1 has been to 3 schools and none of them used textbooks... I'm just imagining the poor things lugging them to and from school!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mmaf View Post
    Wow I hadn't even heard of textbooks in primary schools! My DD1 has been to 3 schools and none of them used textbooks... I'm just imagining the poor things lugging them to and from school!!
    I'd say they would leave them at school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    SD is in year 3 and has texts for math, handwriting, English, art, music, Chinese and sose.

All are e-text except art, math, handwriting and the workbook for the English textbook.

I think each one was about $15. I believe they are mainly "in-house" texts.

I don't mind them as they seem to assist SD quite a bit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not really relevant but my maths teachers were not that bright J (in a kind of a nice way as I did like them) as they were not creative in the work they gave us as I found out which textbook they used so knew the answers, the ‘sad’ thing was I loved math that much I did not actually cheat but it helped if I was stuck.

My son’s best subject in FYOS is computers/technology and I am pleased he is doing good I would rather he be better at his writing/words/spelling etc. He, so far, seems to be taking after me in math as he is better at this, I am not sure if textbooks would help him or not but so far I am doubting it. We are in NSW and so far I know he is using one, I think, called ‘targeting handwriting’ but not sure if we had to pay or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter is in Kindergarten and got two textbooks, literacy and numeracy. Cost $27

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I'm thinking more along the lines of text books where they complete all their work. Instead of writing the sums themselves etc.

I use text books sometimes. I just don't think every child needs them.
    Maybe not, but DD1 definitely seems to benefit from them. And she enjoys completing the work. At her school the kids set their own pace and if they don't get to the end it doesn't seem to matter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Also at DD1's school the teachers don't teach to the books. They are simply another tool they use, in the same way they have mathletics and do reading eggs. Not every child likes mathletics, and not every child like sign post maths books, so they use a mix.

OP if you haven't found them that helpful in your own job as a teacher why go to a school that has them?