+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default I am judging you.

All of these judging threads have me curious. (And I've now had fudge on my mind every time I hop onto BubHub, thank you very much.) I've read through most responses to the various judging threads (I do love me some hearty debate and crazy drama) and I've discovered something rather curious. Everyone seems to have a different idea of what actually constitutes judging.

It's not something that's been overtly mentioned, but reading the responses, there's obviously a wide variety of opinions as to what defines judging someone. Some people say they don't judge but they look and think 'whoa, that's not right'. Others say that they do judge but hey, each to their own. A few more mention that they're much too busy with their own children to even notice what's going on with other parents and, if they do, they'll just say meh and move on. It's quite an interesting read.

So I ask you, what do you consider judging? Do you judge by sitting there, seething because the parents at the other end of the food court is breastfeeding or formula feeding? Are you tempted to go over and whack them over the head with an encyclopaedia? Or do you merely glance over, blink and think, perhaps they shouldn't be allowing their child to guzzle a bottle of Coke?

See, for me, when I say I judge someone, I fall into the latter group. If I notice something that doesn't sit well with me, I'll give it a passing thought, maybe a mini rant to DF if he happens to be with me, and move on.

What about you? Where do you fall on the judging spectrum?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've been wondering the same thing OP. And also.. What does it mean really? I think it could mean anything to judge eg: If I see________, then I make an assumption about you, that you are____________.

eg: if you are wearing moccies during the day (I currently am), giving your kid coke from a bottle, you have down lights and a coffee table you are... Bogan.

As for the spectrum, it totally depends what I'm judging.
    Last edited by babyla; 26-07-2013 at 14:52.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (26-07-2013),Bubbles10  (26-07-2013),snowqu33n  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well l lots of different definitions to 'judge'....as follows:

verb (used with object)
    6. to pass legal judgment on; pass sentence on (a person): The court judged him guilty.

7. to hear evidence or legal arguments in (a case) in order to pass judgment; adjudicate; try: The Supreme Court is judging that case.

8. to form a judgment or opinion of; decide upon critically: You can't judge a book by its cover.

9. to decide or settle authoritatively; adjudge: The censor judged the book obscene and forbade its sale.

10. to infer, think, or hold as an opinion; conclude about or assess: He judged her to be correct.

verb (used without object)
    13. to act as a judge; pass judgment: No one would judge between us.

14. to form an opinion or estimate: I have heard the evidence and will judge accordingly.

15. to make a mental judgment.

I think a lot of people would fall under the definitions above with the conditions you have described; the Meh people, the Seething judgers, the Thinkers....its all part of judgement.

I think it says it all in point 8 - to form a judgment or opinion of; decide upon critically: You can't judge a book by its cover.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't think "judging" is automatically having negative thoughts towards others. For me, "judging" is having preconceived ideas based only on what you see. For example, I might see a women in a nice tailored suit and think "Gee- she must work in really high places". Maybe not so- I've judged based on what I see, I don't know her story or if she even works at all.

I don't think "judging" is all bad. I also think everyone "judges", it'd be really difficult and I think almost impossible not to have some preconceived ideas based on past experiences and what we've learnt or been taught.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SimplyMum For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (26-07-2013),FluffyDucks  (26-07-2013),snowqu33n  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    what the heck is with all these judging threads anyways? they end up being shut down so why even bother.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SimplyMum View Post
    I don't think "judging" is automatically having negative thoughts towards others. For me, "judging" is having preconceived ideas based only on what you see. For example, I might see a women in a nice tailored suit and think "Gee- she must work in really high places". Maybe not so- I've judged based on what I see, I don't know her story or if she even works at all.

I don't think "judging" is all bad. I also think everyone "judges", it'd be really difficult and I think almost impossible not to have some preconceived ideas based on past experiences and what we've learnt or been taught.
    That is an excellent explanation! And I think you are right....we always see 'judging' to be negative when in fact it is a positive as well.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FluffyDucks For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think judgement is human nature, and it also helps me make decisions for my family as well.

Like when I worked at coles the number of parents with FERAL kids eating twisties! And yes i did judge them because their children were out of control and they were eating crap. So I thought "wow, when I have kids I won't give them twisties if they are going to turn into little poos"

But you might judge someone as looking dodgy, and lock your doors because you feel unsafe, or cross the street, or try and get your kids to walk faster etc. so i dont necessarily think judging is a bad thing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I've been wondering the same thing OP. And also.. What does it mean really? I think it could mean anything to judge eg: If I see________, then I make an assumption about you, that you are____________.

eg: if you are wearing moccies during the day (I currently am), giving your kid coke from a bottle, you have down lights and a coffee table you are... Bogan.

As for the spectrum, it totally depends what I'm judging.
    What are moccies?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think everyone has their own moral compass and when you see something that is the opposite to yours it gets your attention and you are left wondering why or how that person could do that - Judge is not really the word I would use - more disapprove - I disapprove of people giving their toddlers coke as a regular drink just as they may disapprove of me say using an amber teething necklace - it does not mean you are a better parent it means you do things differently or have a different opinion

Ive only seemed to notice parents more and how they are with their kids now as DS is nearly 3 and we go to parks or play centres a lot and even though he runs of and does his own thing I still watch him and in turn you end up observing everyone else! But no normally unless a kid is screaming or I hear someone swearing loudly I have blinkers on most days and just worry about what DS is doing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    What are moccies?
    Moccasin slippers...bogans usually prefer them in black tho

http://www.snugaustralia.com.au/imag...rFront_600.jpg

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FluffyDucks For This Useful Post:

babyla  (26-07-2013),Guest654  (26-07-2013)