+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpybump View Post
    Yes.

You can't legally smoke in your car when your children are in it because the passive smoking *may* cause lung damage (and rightly so). But you can raise your hand to your child and legally strike them.

Mind boggling.
    Doesn't smacking need to be much more clearly defined? i.e a feather light tap on the hand vs a huge smack across the bum from a 90kg man. Surely the former doesn't warrant an assault charge and a criminal record?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to unsullied For This Useful Post:

Meg2  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    Yes. The studies showed countries that outlawed smacking had reduced levels of child mortality from abuse. It would be a great first step towards addressing our child abuse issues.

33 countries already ban smacking and have found it beneficial. This is not a novel, untested idea.
    Yes. For this reason.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes. Even the idea of raising my hand to my children puts knots in my stomach.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by unsullied View Post
    Doesn't smacking need to be much more clearly defined? i.e a feather light tap on the hand vs a huge smack across the bum from a 90kg man. Surely the former doesn't warrant an assault charge and a criminal record?
    I agree that the action of "smacking" would have to be very clearly defined. And this would have to be very well publicised to the greater population. As in with advertisements and educational websites dedicated to it. Similar to when they banned smoking in indoor venues.

On a sidenote, I thought "assault" was illegal regardless of age? So it technically if they found that smacking a child was an assault it would already be illegal to smack your child.
    Last edited by risfaerie; 26-07-2013 at 11:42. Reason: Better wording!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No.

And I am someone who copped a belting when I was a kid.

I don't smack my kids by the way, and I hope I don't have to. But I have seen friends who have tried time out, reward charts, removal of privileges and for what ever reason, their kids just get into all sorts of mischief. Could it be partly the parents fault, absolutely, but when I've seen them say 4 times 'do not go onto the road' and the kid still does, I feel for them, and a slap on the bum does the trick.

I don't agree with using utensils or belts etc, but I don't think it's anyone elses right to say that you cannot do what needs to be done to keep your kids safe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm I'd say yes and no. I'd give it a age limit. eg. kids under 3 who are still learning the difference between good and bad behaviour.

But older children who should have at least a basic understanding of good and bad, who do act up and swear, disrespect etc. Sometimes.

Who's going to police this anyway? Most parents only ever smack in the privacy of their own home.

Personally I am a yeller, not a hitter lol. The girls know when they are in trouble purely by the tone and pitch of my voice. Oh and not to forget my angry face.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How would this apply to adults? My hubby loves being spanked.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to unsullied For This Useful Post:

PeJu's Mum  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unsullied View Post
    How would this apply to adults? My hubby loves being spanked.
    So long as he gives consent spank away, kids can't legally give consent.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

ABigDeepBreath  (27-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As long as im allowed to smack an adult who behaves in a way that I find to be unacceptable, no. They clearly require dicipline.

Yes, that was sarcasm. My DF is 110kgs of solid muscle with hands like oars and arms that look like they belong on a blacksmith. Even his light taps are painful and on a small child it is possible would cause long term damage to them, even if it was a smack on the bum. For example, in first aid it took him "killing" the baby dummy 4-5 times before he got the compressions right because he doesnt know how to temper his strength to be able to deal with small children. He crushed their chests with what he thought was light compressions.

I know not everyones partners are built along that line but I'm fairly certain most of them would be a lot stronger than women. So while I'm sure I could smack a small child without causing lasting physical damage, my DF I highly doubt could.
    So how about, rather than take the risk of your partners harming your children long term through what is an "accident" you just not do it?

And accident is in quotations because if you bring violence upon anyone then you can't be surprised if they get injured really.

Eta: Put yourselves in a kids shoes. My DF is 6 foot and built. Imagine knowing that man, with the big hands and arms that you know so well because they've always loved and cradled and protected you, since the day you came into the world are now going to be used to hurt you because he's angry. How frightened would you be, knowing you can't put up a fight or say no? And even if you say no then you'll be ignored. And possibly smacked again for being disobedient. The one man you look to for protection is now going to hurt you.

Yeah, don't think I could do it.
    Last edited by Jennaisme; 26-07-2013 at 13:40.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

ABigDeepBreath  (27-07-2013),Amiedoll  (26-07-2013),twotrunks  (26-07-2013),~ElectricPink~  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I suppose as a non smacker and with the majority of family and friends who also don't hit their kids I don't understand the reason to hit them to keep them safe, especially babies and toddlers who surely don't understand why they are being hit?