+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It is illegal here in NZ, which I think is wonderful.

It has been since 2007.

The law is not one of anti-smacking, simply that assault of any person is illegal, and as we all know "a person is a person, no matter how small"

There is a HUGE emphasis on teaching parents from the word go about discipline and guidance methods which do not include violence, and children are taught at school, by their teachers, that they are not allowed to be hit.

It is seeping into the culture from the ground up, children know their rights very clearly. Awesome stuff.

There have not been loads of parents put into jail. Parents still take their kids to the doctor and hospital for accidents, it's not a huge deal.

I'm sure there are still parents who smack, but it is no longer socially acceptable, or lawful, and that is a huge step forward.

It will be interesting to see how far out of the culture smacking has moved in say 20 more years with these laws in place.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

babybabycakes  (26-07-2013),CicerFabaceaexxxx  (26-07-2013),DailyDiversion  (27-07-2013),FearlessLeader  (26-07-2013),MissMuppet  (26-07-2013),risfaerie  (26-07-2013),Stiflers Mom  (26-07-2013),~ElectricPink~  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't really know how I feel about this... At this point, my opinion is...

I think smacking is okay if used appropriately.... E.g a smack on the hand or bum ... I personally don't know if I will smack.. But I don't think it should be illegal...

In saying that, I think there is a fine line with what is discipline & what is cruel & perhaps venturing into beating.

I think smacking a child across the face is disgusting & should never happen.

I also think the use of belts, electrical cords, etc is not considered smacking, I think that becomes beating.

I'm sure my opinion will change when I have to discipline my son... But this is how I feel about the matter now.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cassieh For This Useful Post:

#Mama  (28-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This kind of thing makes me sick, the government are targeting the wrong people here.

If someone has violent tendencies making smacking illegal is not going to stop them and for the rest of us it's all about common sense when it comes to disciplining your children.

You are basically taking away the parents rights and scaring them into submission god forbid someone might see you give your kid a little smack on the hand and they call the cops! It's ridiculous!!

Strangers and your own children should not have more rights in how they are disciplined than the parents!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beaker121 For This Useful Post:

IndigoJ  (26-07-2013),Meg2  (26-07-2013),unsullied  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've never smacked my kids, I don't need to, well not as a form of discipline. But I chase after them with a spoon and whack them lightly on the bum as a game which they love, the neighbours can hear their squeals of delight as they try and get away. Would that be illegal?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AM View Post
    It is illegal here in NZ, which I think is wonderful.

It has been since 2007.

The law is not one of anti-smacking, simply that assault of any person is illegal, and as we all know "a person is a person, no matter how small"

There is a HUGE emphasis on teaching parents from the word go about discipline and guidance methods which do not include violence, and children are taught at school, by their teachers, that they are not allowed to be hit.

It is seeping into the culture from the ground up, children know their rights very clearly. Awesome stuff.

There have not been loads of parents put into jail. Parents still take their kids to the doctor and hospital for accidents, it's not a huge deal.

I'm sure there are still parents who smack, but it is no longer socially acceptable, or lawful, and that is a huge step forward.

It will be interesting to see how far out of the culture smacking has moved in say 20 more years with these laws in place.
    I like the idea of a ground up approach to education.

I also like that smacking is no longer socially acceptable. To me it is not acceptable either, I feel that Australian families definitely find it less acceptable than they did 30 years ago! My parents seemed to be the exception for their lack of smacking in our family.

The education on different discipline methods is hugely important in my mind. It really seems that Australia needs to look to NZ for so many issues that they deal with so right!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by unsullied View Post
    I've never smacked my kids, I don't need to, well not as a form of discipline. But I chase after them with a spoon and whack them lightly on the bum as a game which they love, the neighbours can hear their squeals of delight as they try and get away. Would that be illegal?
    Kind of a silly question really. Would the police define that as assault? Of course not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AM View Post
    Kind of a silly question really. Would the police define that as assault? Of course not.
    What about a very light tap on the back of the hand that would be assault though?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by unsullied View Post
    What about a very light tap on the back of the hand that would be assault though?
    Depends entirely on the circumstances, I know the Police here use their discretion, and would be extremely unlikely to get hot under the collar about that. It would have to be part of a long running history or whatever.

Police do give warnings however.

The aim of the law here is not to persecute parents, it is to halt child abuse. Even cases of assault between adults are not always clear cut, and each case is dealt with on its own merits or lack of.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    It would bring about a cultural change, like AM says, and would have to be accompanied by education programs and appropriate training for parents. I really loathe this idea that parents have this power to wield over their children which involves smacking them to make them behave appropriately. It just makes me really uncomfortable.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes.

You can't legally smoke in your car when your children are in it because the passive smoking *may* cause lung damage (and rightly so). But you can raise your hand to your child and legally strike them.

Mind boggling.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to grumpybump For This Useful Post:

ABigDeepBreath  (26-07-2013)