+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I say yes...but then I wonder about the implications of taking a wounded child to hospital. I mean, a child falls innocently and hits their head. Would it deter parents from taking then to hospital?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darla87 For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (26-07-2013),SoThisIsLove  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I dont really think it should be illegal but they need to educate on alternative ways of discipline absolutely. I am torn tho because without a blanket ban where do you draw the line? Its a tough one.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

Crumpet87  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by darla87 View Post
    I say yes...but then I wonder about the implications of taking a wounded child to hospital. I mean, a child falls innocently and hits their head. Would it deter parents from taking then to hospital?
    Very good point actually.....

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure. I have smacked dd1 (6) & ds(5) before. All times a quick swift slap across the bum, I have also bitten dd1 back (not hard) when she bit ds when he was only a few weeks old this advice came from my mother who saw her biting him & she drew blood & mum said I did that to my brother & she bit me back. Dd1 has never bitten since. It's an emotional topic for many I was smacked not beaten, dh was beaten not smacked. Both my brother & I are fine, don't hold it against my parents and was never scared of them. At all times I've smacked my kids it was extreme circumstances (dd1 ran away in a crowed car park & I managed to grab her before a car hit her) I figured the smack was enough shock & better than a car hitting her. After all times smacking my kids which is few & far in between they have learnt their lesson & have not been repeat offenders. Do I feel guilty afterwords - yes, do I do it in anger no. I'm calm when I set out any punishment, my choice and preference is time out or the take away of privileges. I do think parents should be able decide on discipline, but what I class as a smack others may think is child abuse & what I see as a beating some may think is just a smack. I'm being honest about my life & what I've done - I do think a smack in certain situations is warranted. Judge it or me as you may.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miados2007 For This Useful Post:

ARCTICJULZ  (26-07-2013),SoThisIsLove  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvana View Post
    No it should not. How parents discipline their own children is their own business. Provided it isn't with a belt etc and just a smack on the bum, then I don't see the problem. Other parents may choose not to smack and that is their prerogative. But I do tire of the government interfering in the personal lives of it's people. I am the one that made the child, love and experienced the financial burden of having children. I won't have a government department telling me how I can raise them too.
    I find this troubling. Children are not possessions to do with as we wish. There are many laws in place which dictate how we can behave around and towards our children.

I honestly believe it's a matter of time until smacking is illegal in Australia. If 33 other countries can make smacking illegal and experience the benefits that come with it, Australia will get there too.

9. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

ABigDeepBreath  (26-07-2013),babyla  (26-07-2013),Boobycino  (26-07-2013),CicerFabaceaexxxx  (26-07-2013),Clementine Grace  (26-07-2013),FearlessLeader  (26-07-2013),Homeschooling4  (29-04-2016),MissMuppet  (26-07-2013),River Song  (26-07-2013),snowqu33n  (26-07-2013),SoThisIsLove  (26-07-2013),~ElectricPink~  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was smacked twice as a child, and I remember both times well. Once was by my Dad and once was by Mum. Neither smack hurt, and both were 'deserved', but they made me feel betrayed and like I couldn't trust my parents anymore. The night after my Mum smacked me I woke up sick in the middle of the night. I remember feeling like I couldn't go to her for help anymore because "she hates me now", so instead stayed in bed feeling awful and eventually slept in a pool of my own vomit for the remainder of the night. I was about 4.

Smacking is not just physical - it can have emotional and psychological repercussions too. I think it should be illegal.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (26-07-2013),twotrunks  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know I was smacked as a child, however I don't remember it. Clearly it didn't have any lasting effect.

My oldest DD is 8, the couple of times she has been smacked is when I've reached breaking point, not because what she did was extreme. I would not consider my smacking to be a well thought out discipline and I am certainly not proud of it.

In society if we break the rules (laws) our privileges are taking away (jail), we are not smacked/beaten this was outlawed many years ago. Physical punishment is too harsh for our criminals, yet we use it for to teach our tiny humans, I wonder what it is we are teaching them?

I believe the view on smacking needs to change and parents need to be educated on appropriate ways to discipline their tiny humans. I'm just not sure if making smacking illegal is the answer, there will need to be a lot of other practices and support in place.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smyles For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (26-07-2013),~ElectricPink~  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, I don't think it should. Many pp have admitted that there are good parents who smack - they shouldn't be made into criminals for giving their child a tap on the bum. I have no problem with an education campaign to discourage people from doing it - but people shouldn't viewed as criminals because of it.

Beating a child is very different to smacking and is already an illegal activity. Perhaps we just need to educate about the difference between smacking and beating.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meg2 For This Useful Post:

ozeymumof5  (26-07-2013),SoThisIsLove  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was smacked as a child, it was never beating, it was never abuse, there was never a mark. But I did know that if I did something naughty I would get a smack. I was far better behaved than my kids (who I don't smack) sometimes I wonder if it has anything to do with not being smacked. Hmm.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Spotdog  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post
    I was smacked twice as a child, and I remember both times well. Once was by my Dad and once was by Mum. Neither smack hurt, and both were 'deserved', but they made me feel betrayed and like I couldn't trust my parents anymore. The night after my Mum smacked me I woke up sick in the middle of the night. I remember feeling like I couldn't go to her for help anymore because "she hates me now", so instead stayed in bed feeling awful and eventually slept in a pool of my own vomit for the remainder of the night. I was about 4.

Smacking is not just physical - it can have emotional and psychological repercussions too. I think it should be illegal.
    I would hate for my daughter to ever feel like that