+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Absolutely

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes!!!!

And support and education should be made more readily available for parents to learn more effective and positive parenting practices.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ABigDeepBreath For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Yes. I think it's Absolutley absurd that it is illegal to hit an adult but legal to hit a child. I was smacked as a kid and I turned out good despite it, not because of it. I have nothing but contempt for my parents over their smacking.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (26-07-2013),twotrunks  (26-07-2013),wrena  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by risfaerie View Post

Will other physical forms of discipline be illegal too? My uncle used to nipple cripple his sons as a form of discipline, would this be ok and smacking not?

All physical forms of 'discipline' with the intention/outcome of inflicting pain should be illegal.

Swiping a hand away from danger.or holding a dysregulated child to help them settle or to prevent injury would be different.

It is absolutely the business and responsibility of the community to help parents behave in ways (or learn to do so) that are in their child's best interests. This would be a positive step towards reducing the child abuse rate in society.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ABigDeepBreath For This Useful Post:

crazyaboutbubs  (26-07-2013),risfaerie  (26-07-2013),SoThisIsLove  (26-07-2013),VicPark  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes it should be. I was smacked, it escalated to wooden spoons, appliance cords, the vacuum cleaner pipe etc. we were good kids, no smoking, drugs etc, we did huge amounts of chores etc with minimal grumbling and did well in school. There was no need for it and 3 of us 4 kids have some sort of physical scar from discipline gone wrong. Mum and dad don't see the issue with it and think we turned out well because of it, not despite of it it also desensitised family from "seeing" believing and acknowledging other abuses that were occurring.

Its a hard cycle to break, but I try with everything I have to never smack my kids. I am far from perfect and have slipped up- it feels awful but I keep trying. Unfortunately dh is if the "it never hurt me and I turned out ok" school of thought, so that's hard work too giving him alternative solutions.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babybabycakes For This Useful Post:

Ajmaratt  (16-06-2014),snowqu33n  (26-07-2013),SoThisIsLove  (26-07-2013)

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MrJones&Me For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes. I don't think it's right that you're legally allowed to hit a child but not an adult. Of course it will be difficult to police, but there are plenty of illegal activities that people partake in and mostly don't get caught. That doesn't mean it's right or good behaviour. I often jaywalk which is illegal and never been caught. My mum often drives without a seatbelt. I have loads of friends who use illicit drugs and don't get caught. DP's grandfather shoplifters from Coles every single week of his life. Got banned a couple of times, but mostly got away with it. Shall we make all those things legal? I think it's morally right for the government to say 'you're not allowed to hit kids'.
    I know some good parents hit their kids. That doesn't mean they should be allowed to.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

crazyaboutbubs  (26-07-2013),giggle berry  (26-07-2013),SoThisIsLove  (26-07-2013),VicPark  (26-07-2013),~ElectricPink~  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes. I think there are many great points in this thread already as to why.

I do wonder what would happen to offenders if it was made illegal though?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to crazyaboutbubs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were actually just discussing this at work, and one of my colleagues had the opinion that to ban smacking children, education would have to be made readily available on alternative forms of discipline. I agree with this. Some people simply do not understand that there are other forms of discipline that can be effective. People do not understand that there are more negative effects to corporal punishment than positive.

I would definitely support a campaign to educate parents on effective and appropriate discipline and education.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

PurpleButterfly4  (26-07-2013),SoThisIsLove  (26-07-2013),Vonnie89  (26-07-2013),~ElectricPink~  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvana View Post
    No it should not. How parents discipline their own children is their own business. Provided it isn't with a belt etc and just a smack on the bum, then I don't see the problem. Other parents may choose not to smack and that is their prerogative. But I do tire of the government interfering in the personal lives of it's people. I am the one that made the child, love and experienced the financial burden of having children. I won't have a government department telling me how I can raise them too.
    I totally agree with this

20. The Following User Says Thank You to fingers xd For This Useful Post: