+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wasn't me that asked. Might just have me confused. Im fairly stubborn on this topic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Not being able to say no is ridiculous IMO. Same with not ever being able to "win" or be best or worst at anything).

I work in HR and the number of precocious 20 something's who enter the workforce get a rude awakening to what real life is like, and some don't cope well at all. Not fair to them in the long run.

I don't advocate smacking or yelling at all but I think society has gone too far now and kids are far too mollycoddled.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (28-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I wasn't going to post in this thread bc I knew it would be contentious. but I just had to comment on the above. CP is chronically under resourced, you have that right. But under caring? nope that's simply not true. These people do 4 years at uni, then get paid 40-50k depending on rank to be abused, assaulted and ripped apart by both clients and the public. Removing children at 4am then rolling into work at 8. Then there's the effect of seeing years of child abuse and the feelings of having the world on your shoulders.

Sorry for the rant, but there's a reason the retention rates for DoCS/DHS is so appalling. CP workers are among the most selfless, decent people I know and they most certainly care....
    Hell yes.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to grumpybump For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (28-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Not being able to say no is ridiculous IMO. Same with not ever being able to "win" or be best or worst at anything).

I work in HR and the number of precocious 20 something's who enter the workforce get a rude awakening to what real life is like, and some don't cope well at all. Not fair to them in the long run.

I don't advocate smacking or yelling at all but I think society has gone too far now and kids are far too mollycoddled.
    This thread isn't really about saying "no" to kids. My kids hear that word constantly. They hear it at school and at home. I don't think it's even relevant to this discussion tbh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sorry, I was responding to a PP and didn't realise there were strict rules about only adhering to the original topic. Sometimes discussions evolve.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    Oh, I agree! Please don't take that quote as evidence of something I believe or agree with.

I've said numerous times in this thread that I don't smack. I'm against criminalising it, but it's not something I do myself. (And there are many parenting decisions I don't follow, but wouldn't want criminalised.)

I was just suggesting it as an answer when Jennaisme asked why anyone would smack. Some people do believe it's effective as discipline, and it seems to be a common thought that the problem with 'young people today' is that parents generally don't smack any more.
    I wasn't having a go at you about it. A few people on here have said it as well. I don't subscribe to the view that our parents generation did things better and get really cranky when older people pass judgment on how people today parent. Life is much harder these days in many ways (and easier in others) and parents are largely alone (not part of a community or a village).

I guess that's where we differ. I don't see any problem at all removing the defences currently available to parents who smack their kids. I don't believe that it would bring about the end of the world, and believe any benefits far outweigh perceived negatives.

Like I said I appreciate now we're a long way from there. Makes me a bit sad, but it's eye opening.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (28-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    Wasn't me that asked. Might just have me confused. Im fairly stubborn on this topic.
    Oops, sorry! Me too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Sorry, I was responding to a PP and didn't realise there were strict rules about only adhering to the original topic. Sometimes discussions evolve.
    *Sigh*. No, no strict rules. It just seemed to me there was a lot more to her post than not saying no, which were largely ignored.

Anyway, this is getting bitey so consider me out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    *Sigh*. No, no strict rules. It just seemed to me there was a lot more to her post than not saying no, which were largely ignored.

Anyway, this is getting bitey so consider me out.
    I was responding to Beebs and there wasn't more in her post. I found your post to me a bit bitey myself, hence my response.

Anyway I'm not trying to argue with you, I usually agree with your posts! I just didn't want you thinking that you were only the bite-ee and not also the bite-r.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I am like the others. I don't like smacking, but I don't think it should be criminalised. Just like I don't like non vaccinating. I think it is ridiculous unless there are medical issues. But I don't believe in forced vaccinations either. I guess I personally have an issue with governments having too much say in how we raise our kids.

What next? Ban on vegetarian children? It makes me wonder how far it will go is all.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (28-07-2013)