+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Angry Totally panicked

Hello All,

I am in complete panic!

After a few years of trying to fall pregnant, my wife and I have been really lucky and we are now expecting our first in December. I am excited, but completely panicked at the same time.

One of the things I am most panicked about is education and schools. I simply don’t know how the school system works, but I know that some of the schools are zoned and that you are only able to send your child to a school within a particular zone.

I have also heard about people picking up their life and moving suburb...mostly to Balwyn, Kew, etc. so that they can be living in the right zone to send their kids to!! We live in Brunswick and lead a pretty humble existence…I really don’t want to move from here…but as I have been doing some research I have not found a single good school in Brunswick. The nearest school I would consider to be the best would be University High, followed by Princess Hill but both of these are out of my zone.

> Anyhow…I am panicked!! I want to be able to send my child to a good school...and I dont really want to leave the spirit that is Brunswick.

What advice can the community mind on here offer? I seriosuly need some help...and Ive not even thought about kindergarden etc. Can anyone please direct me to any good resources that would be of any assistance. What about your own personal experiences and thoughts?

Thank you all. Any help at this stage would really be welcome.

Brant

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What about private schools?

Hopefully someone that lives in your area can point you in the right direction.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wouldn't be panicking, you still have at least 12 years before needing to send to secondary school. Lots of things can happen in that time, new schools can be built, zones change, perhaps you might move. One thing at a time, get through the birth and looking after a newborn. Brunswick is great!

Google dEECD and there are lots of resources there for parents and Victorian schools, schools online is another thing which might help you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    First of all, take a big breath and stay calm - baby isn't even born yet, you have plenty of time to sort out schooling in the coming years. Attend the school fairs/fetes of your local schools (usually in spring), and visit them at school pick up time and check out the feel of them, how happy the kids seem etc. Ask around your community for opinions on the schools, where your friends kids go and are they satisfied. If after all this you're still worried that the local schools are no good, then you have plenty of time to find a new area to settle in.

But mainly, relax a bit! Once you've gotten to know your child it's easier to work out which school will suit them best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.education.vic.gov.au/find...urb=0&Type=3,2

http://www.education.vic.gov.au/find...urb=0&Type=3,2

I also wouldn't be making judgements on schools without visiting them, think about what you are making your judgement on whether a school is "good" or "bad". To answer that question you need to know the needs of your child, you've got over a decade to figure that part out.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (26-07-2013)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I wouldn't be panicking, you still have at least 12 years before needing to send to secondary school. Lots of things can happen in that time, new schools can be built, zones change, perhaps you might move. One thing at a time, get through the birth and looking after a newborn. Brunswick is great!

Google dEECD and there are lots of resources there for parents and Victorian schools, schools online is another thing which might help you.
    Everything babyla said. The other thing to consider is that you have no idea what your child's educational needs might be. There's no way i'll even be thinking about high school until my kids are at least half way through primary.
    And being outside the zone for those schools doesn't mean you have no chance of getting in- I know both of those schools very well and there are plenty of kids there from outside the zone. There are ways and means both have strong music programs, so if you were really keen on them one thing to do would be to think about your child learning an instrument from a young age. You could also think about renting your place out and renting in one of the zones for the high school years. But this is all in the distant future, you'll figure it out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Again agreeing with babla, lol. We could send our kids to one of 5 or so schools- a very academic one, a community school, one with a fantastic arts program and one with an excellent sports program. They are all 'good schools'. Not all of them have fabulous reputations, not all of them have high scoring students who go on to tertiary studies. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink- you need to match a child to a school, not choose a school based on its reputation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with the others - no need to panic yet. My mother's group always got me in a tizz about schools as that was all they would talk about when we met up even before the kids started school. Now they are in primary school, all they talk about is what high school - drives me nuts. On your side of town, Strathmore High has a good reputation. It's zoned but like others have indicated, where there is a will there is a way...As for primary schools - had a friend who sent their daughter to Brunswick South West and they were happy with the education there...I also agree that a lot can happen in 12 years time - you only need a change in staff (particularly principal) and a school can head in either direction. Sorry for the long paragraph - enter button doesn't seem to work....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Again agreeing with babla, lol. We could send our kids to one of 5 or so schools- a very academic one, a community school, one with a fantastic arts program and one with an excellent sports program. They are all 'good schools'. Not all of them have fabulous reputations, not all of them have high scoring students who go on to tertiary studies. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink- you need to match a child to a school, not choose a school based on its reputation.
    Um I know I've kinda been a frequent flyer this week, what with the whole asylum thread and all, but taking the pi$$ out of someones username isn't very cool Fearless

11. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Um I know I've kinda been a frequent flyer this week, what with the whole asylum thread and all, but taking the pi$$ out of someones username isn't very cool Fearless
    well I'm just as bad- I'm surprised my phone didn't autocorrect that to your username. I'll be typing away at a text message and my phone starts suggesting BH usernames now that's pretty terrible.