+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Feeling like the worlds worst mum :( super lg vent

DD is 16 months old, and is very active and able, she's been walking from 9 months so is running and dancing and climbing all over the place now. So on Sunday night just before her bath she was running around and slipped over. It wasn't a heavy fall at all but I didn't see how she fell exactly. She cried and it obviously hurt her but she calmed down eventually. I got get undressed for the bath, gave her a look over but couldn't see anything wrong so just assumed she was fine.

DD isn't a crier so on Monday when she spent a lot of the day upset I was worried she was in pain but put it down to the fact that she's cutting 4 molars at once, gave her some panadol and spent the day carrying her around so she wasn't upset.

Tuesday we had errands to run so she spent most of the day in the carrier so wasn't upset or anything but I noticed if I picked her up with my hands under her arms she would cry. I started to suspect that she may have hurt her shoulder when she fell on Sunday, but checked again at bath time on Monday and dressing her in the morning and couldn't see any redness or swelling. I still wasn't sure if it was her teeth or her shoulder but was leaning more towards shoulder at this point. She was moving her arm and running around as normal though so I didn't think it was serious. I booked a doctors appointment for Friday, which was the first available.

Wednesday she was grumpy in the morning but by lunch time we had made some playdoh and she was acting like her normal self again. I was getting her ready for her bath and she was having a little dance when she fell over. She cried and it was obviously a pained cry so I poped her down on the bed to have another look at her shoulder. I noticed her right clavicle was a bit swollen and red so I rushed her to an after hours clinic who said it looked like she had just pulled a muscle or something and to give her some neurofen. The doctor didn't seem worried at all but referred her for an X-ray today just in case.

So we went and got the X-ray done expecting to be told it was nothing but got a call an hour or so later to be told she had a fractured collar bone, a proper fracture, not just a little hairline one!!! I can't believe it. My poor poor baby has had a fractured collarbone for 4 days and I had no idea. I can't help but think I've made it worse, because although I started picking her up with my hands around her ribs or bum there were a could of times that I picked her up the wrong way and she cried. I feel so guilty. We went back to the doctor this afternoon to get the results properly and to be told how to deal with it, but the doctor basically said there wasn't a lot to do, but did refer us to paediatric orthopaedics at our local children's hospital. So we're just waiting for them to call to see what we should do.

DD has been her usual self today as well, she's the happiest baby and just wants to run and play, but I'm getting some serious anxiety trying to prevent her from potentially hurting it further. The thought that she's got a fractured collarbone and may fall again is making me feel ill. I don't know how I'm going to keep her still for the next few weeks. I just can't believe that she's only 16 months and has a fractured collarbone. It's terrible. I can't imagine what kind of terrible mother people think I am, firstly for this happening in the first place and secondly for taking 4 days to get it properly diagnosed. My poor baby I've been told that the collarbone is the most painful fracture. I can't imagine how much she was hurting. I'm just glad that I'm not the type of parent to let her cry so I was there to comfort her even though I didn't know what was wrong.

Sorry for the huge long vent, I just feel so bad for my little daughter.

Has this happened to anyone? I don't know if I should try and put her arm in a sling, even though I doubt it'll last on her for a minute. I just don't feel right just giving Panadol and that's it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No advice but lots of hugs.

Don't be too hard on yourself. If you were a terrible mother - you wouldn't be feeling terrible right now.

You didn't know. It could happen to any of us!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 2Bboys For This Useful Post:

RandR  (25-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Bboys View Post
    No advice but lots of hugs.

Don't be too hard on yourself. If you were a terrible mother - you wouldn't be feeling terrible right now.

You didn't know. It could happen to any of us!
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    No advice, accidents happen.

My friend's brother fell off the top bunk, his mum went in and put him back to bed without turning the light on, turns out he had a broken nose & wrist!

My own brother had a broken wrist for 2 weeks before my mum took him to the doctors.

Big hugs, mumma guilt is the worst!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Smyles View Post
    No advice, accidents happen.

My friend's brother fell off the top bunk, his mum went in and put him back to bed without turning the light on, turns out he had a broken nose & wrist!

My own brother had a broken wrist for 2 weeks before my mum took him to the doctors.

Big hugs, mumma guilt is the worst!
    Thank you I still can't help feeling that 16 months is way too young for this kind of accident though

Its absolutely the worst isn't it! I feel disgusting and I've got anxiety like she's a newborn again lol. Hoping the call from the children's hospital will help, hopefully they call tomorrow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What an awful thing to happen. Your daughter is lucky to have a mum who cares about her so much and makes her feel so secure that she can deal with a fracture so well

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tainted For This Useful Post:

RandR  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't be too hard on yourself. Its not as if you weren't checking her at all
    Easy to miss even the Dr didn't think there was anything major. At least your daughter has a concerned mother. Not all kids are so lucky.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0151 using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chickadee82 For This Useful Post:

RandR  (26-07-2013),siennasyummymummyxxx  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hugs for both of you. xx
    Yep, been there, 4 year old with a broken wrist for 5 days before taking her to emergency. I had taken her to emergency on day 2 but when I walked in and saw a little old lady in a wheelchair who was in obvious pain and total discomfort not being seen I walked right out with my 4 year old who was skipping.

Sent from my sandwich.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeamummy For This Useful Post:

RandR  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

You are not a bad parent at all! Toddlers can be wild and crazy and unless you have your eye on them 24/7 (not possible!) it is hard to know how bad one of their knocks can be! To be honest, I would have acted exactly as you did.

FWIW, I was six when I fell off some monkey bars. My mum (a nurse!) thought I had just bruised it, and it wasn't until 2 days later she took me to get it x-rayed and I had broken BOTH bones in my arm! And my mum was an awesome mum

Also, I am fairly confident ds broke his nose earlier this year but this has never been confirmed. Dr said there was no point in an X-ray... I do feel funny about not knowing though.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post:

RandR  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I bet every mum has a similar story where they weren't aware of how sick or injured their child was, I know I have a few. Don't be too hard on yourself because its especially hard when they are little and can't verbalise how they feel x

16. The Following User Says Thank You to danik For This Useful Post:

RandR  (26-07-2013)