+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I did sport my whole life so my parents were very health conscious. I always ate fruit and yoghurt for breakfast, sandwich and fruit for lunch and dinner was always meat and veg. We used to carb load before carnivals though. I didn't eat take away for some reason I disliked maccas and all fast food joints when I was younger- wish I still did now.

My girls eat pretty similar except low carb so no sandwiches, or high carbs like pasta, rice etc (Medical reasons why we steer clear).
    They'll eat wraps or salads for lunch, I bake healthy biscuits and snacks. They do get a treat with take out once a week and we frequent the coffee shop for hot chocolates as treats.

I am a sucker for Pepsi max though which I've stopped drinking the past 2 weeks to finally get my extra weight off.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    My diet wasn't too bad growing up...not much junk food (especially soft drinks) unless it was a special occasion. We did have a 'lolly night' once a week and fish & chips on a saturday. We rarely had dessert and definitely no unhealthy snacks for school (though would occasionally have chips after school). Never sugar on cereal or sweet cereals.

However, Mum wasn't that great a cook and she and I have very different tastes...this meant that I rarely ate enough vegetables as a kid or teen - we would have pasta three times a week with just tomatos in it for vegies so on those days thats the only vege I would have, if any (because I hated her pasta sauce and often convinced her to let me have plain cooked pasta with some cheese). Fyi, we never had vegies with breakfast or lunch.

I eat much healthier now and am crazy about eating vegies...must have at least four or more varieties every dinner. I guess I eat less lollies now and more fruit too. I find eating healthily makes me feel good (physically) and eating junk food makes no sense to me anymore.

Eta: before I moved out of home but after I had started cooking all my own meals I ate a lot of junk food...mostly because I had a 'bad' lifestyle (always out with DH who was then my BF and staying out late as both of our parents are rather conservative when it comes to sleeping over). So not much sleep & lots of coffee and chocolate cravings!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by AdornedWithCats; 26-07-2013 at 15:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Our evening meals were quite well balanced, always had 3 vege, and a variety of foods. School lunches were varied - sandwiches with peanut butter, vegemite, ham and cheese etc, a couple of pieces of fruit and a homemade biscuit or piece of slice. Mum used to try and get us to eat seeded bread - it was called Vogels and we hated it! I was always jealous of the kids who had a packet of chips in their lunch box, and would have loved processed cheese sticks! Now I'm the mum who gives her kids seeded bread, and chop up cubes of cheese!

There was always lots of fruit around. Breakfast was toast, weetbix, cornflakes or sultana bran. But we were allowed to put our own sugar on our cereal - I remember my brother piling it on! My kids don't even know you can put sugar on your cereal!

We always had cordial to drink, never water and if we drank milk it had milo in it! But then everyone took cordial to school in their drink bottles - it was the norm. With my kids everyone takes water to school - that is the norm!

Also we nearly always had desert after dinner - often just ice cream but regularly a cooked dessert of some sort - fruit crumble, self saucing choc pudding etc. My kids rarely have dessert - if they are hungry after dinner they will have a piece of fruit or some yoghurt.

Friday night was take away night - usually fish and chips or BBQ chicken and chips. Sometimes mum would buy a 1 litre bottle of lemonade or creaming soda, we weren't allowed to have coke.

Sunday lunch we always had a roast followed by dessert.

Looking back we did eat a lot of sugar, but probably not as much as some kids, and all our food was home cooked we rarely had processed foods. Tick Tock biscuits and chocolate teddy bears were a special treat for our birthday parties & boy was I jealous of the kids who got those things in their lunch boxes everyday!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think we ate pretty well when we were little. We had meat and 3 veg for dinner most nights, and even though the meat was often sausages, it's better than some other options. If it wasn't meat and 3 veg, we'd have stew or curry or bolognaise, and all of them would be packed with veggies. We'd have toast or weetbix for breakfast, and a sandwich and fruit for lunch.

When we became teens it became much worse, for reasons I won't go into, and we often ate deep fried food for dinner, or frozen pies, or something equally unhealthy. We never ate breakfast, and for lunch we would either buy something unhealthy from the school canteen if we'd earned money from our jobs that week, or go without. We didn't really drink fizzy drink though - I don't like it. And we didn't really snack between meals,mainly because there wasn't anything worthwhile to snack on, except bread.

These days, I eat a fairly balanced diet. I have whole meal toast and coffee for breakfast, a whole meal sandwich with meat and salad for lunch, and some sort of protein and a million veggies for dinner. We hardly ever have dessert, and I don't really like sweet things, baked goods, or salty things like potato chips, so rarely, if ever, eat those. We might have takeaway once a month, if we're travelling or something. For drinks, I usually drink plain water, soda water, or boiling water with fresh lemon or lime.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had home meals most of the time, fish and chips on friday. Mum was vegetarian so most meals were lacking in meat and pretty healthy. I got all of my fruit and veg in every day as we had a lot and a lot of variety. My parents always got the good quality foods as well. It is hard to not buy in a snobby way when I shop and it took me 3 years to even walk into Aldi and I didnt even know why haha. We did eat a lot of carbs though, like good breads, loads of pasta dishes and I don't think it was very balanced in that way, and we were allowed to eat as much food as we wanted so I over ate on the healthy food.

Now, my kids have the influence of DH and his family who eat a lot of unhealthy food and cook in a different way to me, so it is half how I grew up and half how he grew up. Living in a cafe culture city they also have a lot of cafe food which isnt as healthy as home cooked meals. The meals I cook have a lot more meat in them than I had growing up as I am trying to change what I eat to involve more protein and be more balanced.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had grew up eating quite boring cheap food, dad worked at meat works and got cheap meat so dinners were always meat and veg. Rarely had juice or softdrink our treat drink was cordial. I remember my lunchbox having peanut butter sandwich everyday, fruit, maybe a small bag of chips or muesli bar (which was a huge treat) and something mum had baked. Our sweets were whatever mum baked chocolate slice, Anzac biscuits etc. We lived out of town so very rarely had takeaway.

These days I eat a lot more variety and so does my dd, prob have take away too frequently but overall I think we have a pretty balanced diet.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Ours was healthy but bland - very meat/fish and 3 vegg style - but the thing that probably stuck with me the most is fresh and home made - mum made everything and we never had frozen or packet food and she used to buy fresh fruit daily and i used to peel fresh peas with her ( and eat them raw) when I was little and DS does this with me now

we had chips and lollies when we had parties or had people over and not as an everyday thing , never had soft drink or fast food ( except maybe went to Pizza Hut a few times!) but dad always took us out to a local restaurant every Friday night ( usually Chinese or Italian)
    Pretty much the same for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My parents were seperated also.

Alot of Mum's stuff was really oven easy type stuff. Packeted things for lunch like 2minute noodles. And having things that were homemade never really happened alot. And my middle sister being quiet fussy with her food, made it difficult for my mum to make things. Later though she started making 3-4 different meals for everyone. In the end I always ate what she did, so she didn't have to cook so much.
    My Dad on the other hand was more in to cooking one giant meal for everyone and if you didn't eat, then tough.
    So at his place we ate alot of home made stuff like, shepards pie, stir fry's, and roast dinners. We also used to have big breakfasts, like the full eggs, bacon and tomato and pancakes. But we very rarely ate anything in between. And if we did, most of the time it was dim sims, or cheese toasted sandwiches.