+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We were too poor for junk & there was no takeaway in town.

So it was meat & three veg at every tea, weetbix or weaties for breakfast & a sandwich at lunch.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I was a very fussy child so my diet wasn't as good as say my sister's even though we both had access to the same food.

Mum often made me a seperate dinner so I had something to eat as well. I wouldn't eat food mixed together (stir fry). I didn't like gravy/sauces, the list goes on for miles..

I wasn't a hungry child either so would often not eat breakfast if no one was paying attention. If I did eat it was toast with butter or cereal with sugar.

I had a huge sweet tooth but Mum didn't buy us lollies so I only got them at Little Athletics if Dad let me or at Halloween/Easter/Christmas. I used to bake cakes for sweet things too.

When I was 15 and my parents separated I lived with Dad and started eating stir fry, more vegetables that I used to refuse. Now I eat a lot more but have a sweet tooth still.

I try to promote healthy food for my kids but I will let them have the occasional treat. I don't want to ban it and have them binge whenever they come into contact with junk.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Very healthy, to the point of no sugary treats, I had white rice for the first time when I was a teenager etc.

Now I have a massive sweet tooth, I wonder if it is because I was never allowed to have junk food or treats. I think there needs to be a happy balance, because if you are never allowed to have treats, it becomes a big deal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a child it was pretty healthy and we had treats. But as a teen my diet was bad I lived on coke, chips, chocolate and icecream.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fresh fruit and veges, home cooked cakes limited to a few times a week mainly scones and fruit patty cakes, home killed meat, water, tea, fresh milk and cream from the mooey's, eggs from the chooks. No freaky low fat processed rubbish, no take aways, no thickeners, emulsifiers or all the frankenfoods people class as normal now, no food like products. Same way I eat and feed my kids now only we don't do breads and grains, no breakfast cereals or processed foods.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am a product of junk food being locked up and of being taken to dietcians at age 10. I am obese, have had weight loss surgery and have food issues which I can link back to my childhood.

My mum thought that she was doing the right thing but deprivation is just as damaging in my opinion as allowing junk food in every meal.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My parents have always been a bit hippy, and dad has always travelled and had a love of all things cultural. So I didn't have what I view as a 'standard' Western diet..we mostly ate foods from other cultures, not the typical spag bol, meat and 3 veg. Dad was also a big softie and boy did my brother and I take advantage of this, so he'd often give us money to go to the corner shop and buy ourselves some lollies. So it was a good balance.

I have to be pretty mindful of what I eat now because, although I've always been a healthy weight, I've had high cholesterol so I do know the effect food can have on your body. So I do ensure I'm eating enough fibre and not too much saturated fat but I still have a bit of a sweet tooth and love my chocolate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mum was an excellent cook and EXTREMELY adventurous for the 70's. While friends were having meat and veg for tea we were having a far flung Italian or Chinese meal. She was a great one for 'concoctions'

We didn't eat junk much, were only allowed fruit between meals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a varied diet as a kid, lots of fruit and veg and home cooked meals with some treats too. I feed my kids similar stuff now. They eat well and still have junk sometimes. The only difference I want is for my kids to move a bit more than I did. When the weather is good we try and go for bike rides or to the pool most days. I think a balanced diet and regular exercise is the key.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    My mother use to look down on others and what they fed their kids yet what she fed us was nothing but rubbish.
    Dinners usually consisted of a large chunk of meat, a large dollop of mashed potato and a small amount of other steamed vegetables. Other meals were largely carbs and meat like spag bol, stir fries with heaps of white rice, etc.
    Our school lunches were heaps of packaged sh!t like muesli bars, chips, biscuits, poppers, and a sandwich on white bread.
    She bought a considerable amount of soft drink each fortnight as well as ice cream for dessert each night and chips and chocolates as snacks.

I became a vegetarian at 12 so that changed my diet considerably. I also cut out most of the soft drink and junk my mother fed us as i was worried about the state of my teeth.
    I think i still rely too much on junk and convenience foods at times but try to keep it fairly well balanced. Things like soft drinks and ice cream are limited to special occasions. I only buy wholemeal bread and limit packaged foods in lunches and the likes.