+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Pretty bland and relatively healthy. Although all white bread and not enough veg. There were very limited veggies I would eat. Peas and... Yep I would eat peas, lol. By the time I was a teenager I ate most things. But mum and dad wouldn't really cook with fresh herbs or anything, we ate lots of meat and 3 veg, or salads.
    We did eat quite a bit of processed foods, after school my brother and I would eat BBQ shapes or 3 minute noodles every day. But mum and dad always cooked from scratch.
    We weren't allowed any drinks but water or milk.
    The difference now is I cook with a much wider variety of ingredients, and we don't eat many processed foods at all. Apart from that, fairly similar. We still eat mostly healthy but with quite a few treats. We eat 'junk food' every other day or so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Growing up my diet consisted of wet sloppy dishes like sweet & sour mince. We only had big rooster as a takeaway option bug we ate ALOT of crap like single serve meat ours heated up in the microwave (vomit!!). Also had a fair but if crap convenience home brand food.

My mum actually ears quite well now (she lost ago 40kg years ago) and I eat a well balanced diet. But I did go through a period of about 5 years where you'd think I was a taste tester for just about every takeaway chain around.

These days the only processed food I really buy is spaghetti/baked beans & crackers for the kids. I don't buy lollies or chips or anything like that. They drink water or milk (rarely juice). I do bake them things from time to time but I'm quite happy to treat us out for coffee (me), milk shakes and cake (them). Also if other people offer then unhealthy good I'm not bothered and they have had maccas meals a bit.

No soft drink, cordial or chicken nuggets though. I just figure if the majority of their diet is healthy the majority than majority rules.. Right??

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We were poor so lots of sausages and rissoles and pastas and we always had bread with our meal to fill us up.

Grew up morbidly obese

But ive lost close to 60kilos now and am healthy

Braiiiiins

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Very healthy. Rarely had juice, always wholemeal, very very rarely takeaway, only had McD a couple of times a year when nana and papa took us, and Chinese a couple of times a year at grandmas. Lots of meat and three veg, everything cooked from scratch, we never used jars like kantong or any of those packet things. If we didnt have anything for dinner, we wouldn't have takeaway, mum would just do a platter of bits and pieces- boiled eggs, carrot sticks, lettuce etc. Wed have meat/poultry 2-3 times a week, veg the rest of the time.

i have a very healthy diet now most of the time but have a major sweet tooth. I love desserts, but not really lollies etc, more creamy homemade stuff like tiramisu or pannacotta or stuff like that.... Yum!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rubbish. Absolutely rubbish.

My kids will never eat the way I did when I grew up. They are educated on healthy food options and why they good for them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We ate a home cooked meal every night around the dinner table. We had a wide variety with lots of vegetables and always meat. Takeaway was rare but we would eat out about once a month.

Sent from my sandwich.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I grew up with a mother who was a great cook. She cooked a lot from scratch although I do remember Kantong nights as being pretty special in our house - almost like our takeaway. The only true takeaway we had was BBQ chicken and chips usually once a week. We never went to McDonald's or KFC and only hungry jacks very occasionally. Always white bread, pasta and rice. Lots of vegetables although very little fruit. My mum was a confident cook who experimented at times but usually stuck with what she knew. We did get snacks though - chips, fruit juice, bbq shapes. Not good as I got a taste for them!
    I am similar in some ways. I cook almost everything from scratch. I love cooking and love making healthy things for my family. We very rarely eat takeaway but instead go out for a meal at least once a week. I do buy some snacks for my Dd but actively limit how much and when she has them. Unlike growing up, we have food intolerances in our family so that has made a big difference as well. On the whole we eat healthy with a treat here and there usually when out. I think we have a good balance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a pretty balanced diet growing up. Home cooked meals most of the time and takeaway once a week. My parents never kept soft drink or lollies in the house and we didn't get packets of chips in our lunch boxes like most of my friends did. If we wanted a snack it was usually fruit but we got treats on special occasions. When I left home I indulged too much and gained a fair bit of weight but I'm slowly changing my habits and my DF and I eat quite well. Aiming to lose another 10-15kg before we start TTC.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My mum was a health nut in the 80's! I often was sent to school with heart and alfalfa sandwich, and other delicious combinations :/
    (yes you did read that correct....heart and alfalfa)

Never allowed anything remotely unhealthy. Mum and dad grew all our vegies, mum cooked everything from scratch, made own bread, yoghurts etc I think the closest junk food i ever had was homemade pizza.

Subsequently i have always thought i develop food issues due to being so deprived as a kid. Went crazy for ice cream, chocolate, biscuits etc when i could buy them for myself and then had massive guilt trips because i could hear mum disapproval in my head.

We eat mostly healthy, but I let my son eat some bad foods, he knows they are treats and just sometimes foods. I dont know if this will work, but i know depreviation didnt work for me.
    Last edited by baby4us; 26-07-2013 at 00:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    My mother was an obsessive health nut. No sugar at all. No junk at all. No white bread. No cereal other than porridge. I was told when I went to parties I wasn't allow to eat anything bad (of course I did, and lots of it lol). I believe it has created a life long struggle since becoming an adult. I crave chocolate and junk a lot, and when i moved away from her I remember stocking my pantry with a heap of crap. Almost as though I was giving her the bird

I'm far more moderate as a parent. I believe sugar and fat are sometimes foods. I cook vegies every night and my kids eat kilos of fruit every week. So if they want a chocolate biscuit or a cheese burger every now and then I'm fine with that.