+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What was your diet like growing up?

So, what was your diet like growing up and how does it compare with your current eating habits?

I never realised until I had DS how sugary my diet was growing up.

I always had sugar on my porridge/cereal from when I was a baby, fruit juices all the time, rarely water (my sister's front teeth completely rotted), I had a small bookshelf full of McD's toys which must mean I ate it A LOT.

These days I generally like to eat well. I meal plan to make sure we're getting lots of nutrition in each meal, although, I do have brief periods where I eat waaaay more junk than I should.

I also have a massive sweet tooth but that seems to be a hangover from my pregnancy.

We're trying to be more consistent with our healthy eating habits in the hopes that it'll rub off on DS long term.

My mother's eating habits are still very much the same, if not worse (she's addicted to soft drinks and eats blocks of chocolate daily), and she bugs me all the time saying I'm "depriving" DS because I don't let him eat refined sugars or processed foods.

Has how you ate growing up affected what you feed your kids?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My parents separated when I was little, mum fed me healthy but very bland food (she's not a good cook unfortunately lol). Dad fed me absolute crap, and I loved it lol.
    When I left home I over ate junk food and crap, now that I've had my own DD I am moving more toward healthy but trying to also make it tasty
    I back slide sometimes, and we still have a bit of takeaway when we travel but we're doing a lot better

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I ate very healthy as a kid - I still eat healthy and nutritious meals but I also eat a lot of junk too. I think my diet is fairly balanced and was growing up too.

I don't think it's a good idea to totally restrict junk food for kids as I used to be the kid at birthday parties who wouldn't leave the chip bowl - cos I wasn't allowed them at home.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

mrsoptomistic  (25-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I grew up with things like Maccas and lollies being a major treat! I was always jealous if friends who ate Maccas for dinner. I was never allowed.

When I was a teen and got a car then it was Maccas a lot. Lots of sugary foods yum.
    Now I'm into sugar heaps but like to try and eat as well as possible. Will have take away once a week.

I have limited ds 15m heaps. I cook all his meals he gets no sugar or salt added. He does get sugar in things like dried fruit and sometimes I buy baby rice crackers which would have sugar. But I'm doing the same that my mum did for me and he can chose to do what he likes when he can either cook or drive himself to takeaway and hopefully decide not to do it everyday!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh to add I will let ds have birthday cake at birthday parties etc but that's special occasions. So not completely limited to no sugar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Ours was healthy but bland - very meat/fish and 3 vegg style - but the thing that probably stuck with me the most is fresh and home made - mum made everything and we never had frozen or packet food and she used to buy fresh fruit daily and i used to peel fresh peas with her ( and eat them raw) when I was little and DS does this with me now

we had chips and lollies when we had parties or had people over and not as an everyday thing , never had soft drink or fast food ( except maybe went to Pizza Hut a few times!) but dad always took us out to a local restaurant every Friday night ( usually Chinese or Italian)
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 25-07-2013 at 21:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was growing up I never really had super sweet foods as my mum has diabetes we had a lot of foods without sugar and I am SO grateful for that as I enjoy lots of desserts with out sugar now :-) when I first moved out of home I ate alot of rubbish food and was quite unhealthy and stacked on the weight but now I have lost 22 kilos and eat very healthy food :-) when I'm lucky enough to be blessed with my babies they will be having all the healthy foods and all the foods without sugar! With the exception of a treat hear and there :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Very healthy and bland. Meat and steamed veg, rice, pasta, stews. School lunch was a wholemeal sandwich with vegemite and piece of fruit. Never had those little packets of chips or boxed drinks with the straw and I remember wanting them! I remember being embarrassed about having brown bread when pretty much everyone had white bread. Mum bought the odd bottle of cordial but it wasnt a regular thing. I got 20c bag of mixed lollies as a treat but that was rare. I didn't have Mc Donalds until I was 12yo and my Aunt took me to the movies. Never went crazy on junk when I got older. Stuck to healthy because of the way junk food makes me feel. I feel ill after eating sugary foods or fatty foods. I'm happy I was brought up healthy because I've never had any health or weight problems.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ours was healthy and homemade. We were very fortunate. Mum was all about protein for breakfast before school so we had omelettes/bacon and eggs/salmon in white sauce/boiled eggs/baked beans every single weekday morning followed up with fruit. School lunches were wholemeal sandwiches, fruit and homemade slices. Dinners were meat and 3-5 veg (very traditional dad) but mum managed to change it up and keep it interesting and tasty. We had takeaway once a week but it was Chinese/Indian etc never maccas or the like. On weekends mum would make meat and salad plates for lunch and in winter beautiful soups. We drank juice but not excessively. No soft drink In the house. Occasionally we'd have icecream after dinner.

The diet my family eats is a bit different because I am into raw foods and very limited sugar (mum used sugar in her baked goods - I don't). But even so, my interest in healthy living definitely began with my upbringing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Meat and veg, stews, casseroles. Lots of fish (we had a boat), kangaroo, rabbit and venison (we hunt), homegrown veg and fruit. But mum still baked for us and once a week we had take away chips to go with fish.

We never had soft drink or juice in the fridge all the time and I still don't.

I think I still eat the same style of meals but with different meats and more use of frozen veg. That and a wider range of veg and things like pasta, stir fry etc. Dad was very racist and wouldn't even try them.

And my kids probably get take away more often than I did.