+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Miados2007 View Post
    Oh dear, no excuse for it. Red bull is actually banned in certain countries and has been linked to death in some cases. What it could do to a child? Put it this way lack of sleep should be the least of their worries. I don't even have any stats on this at work as no one ever yet has studied the effects on energy drinks in children under 12, to my knowledge. Ummm wonder why?
    Which countries is red bull banned in? Just curious. I would never ever give it to a child or teenager but I didnt think it was harmful if used strictly as directed and its the consumption of too much that caused harm?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    I can't imagine a few swigs a week of mums coke is going to do any long term damage either though?? Yet it's completely acceptable to judge a parent who allows this. Yet people choosing to ff (when said parent has the option of bf) when there is a 'better' choice- it's no-one else's business. Interesting.

again, I'm not suggesting coke and formula are anything alike for the smart ar$es...
    Well I agree, a few swigs isn't going to be harmful. I'm more referring to regular consumption.

We are veering off here, but what is a better choice? ask lots of ffers and they'll say formula WAS a better choice. I think you are choosing to ignore what I'm saying.

I stand behind my comments. Formula is not harmful. More than a few sips every now and then of coke IS harmful.

What I find interesting is that you seem to judge women for formula bc there is a 'better choice' despite formula being perfectly safe and nutritional, yet you defend those that give kids coke?

I don't think anyone is being a smart a@se? What you effectively said, is why are people judging giving coke when they don't judge formula? Putting it in that context gives a clear comparison between the two, whether you intended it that way or not.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (25-07-2013),HugsBunny  (26-07-2013),Purple Lily  (26-07-2013),risfaerie  (26-07-2013),snowqu33n  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soccer mum View Post
    Which countries is red bull banned in? Just curious. I would never ever give it to a child or teenager but I didnt think it was harmful if used strictly as directed and its the consumption of too much that caused harm?
    France, Germany & Denmark from memory banned it & or suspended it until they changed some of the ingredients. It is also being restricted to sale under 18 & 21 in a lot of other countries ( can't name them, a while since I looked at the research). The problem is it is not used as directed & is hard to regulate as it doesn't fall in the drug / alcohol category it's somewhere in between.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soccer mum View Post
    2 cans of energy drink is enough to put an averagr sized 12 year old into cardiac failure and die as it raises blood pressure too high 2 cans isn't much. 4 cans a day will kill an adult it is dangerous stuff and should never be given to children. Frequent use puts you at higher risk of cardiac problems the effects are not good to see. Quite a few children have died world wide because of consumption.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wobblermummy For This Useful Post:

Mod-pegasus  (27-07-2013),SugarSkull  (25-07-2013),twotrunks  (27-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends on the age and frequency. I have a toddler nephew, I would be upset if he was given coke but am happy for my 10 year old to have it occasionally. Some of her classmates drink a 600ml bottle of coke every morning, they stop at the corner shop near the school and buy it there. I think the shop owners really should put a stop to that. Every morning the same kids are starting their day like that. I don't know whether it's the parents though, maybe the parents don't even know? These kids are 10 and 11 years old.

Formula is what babies who are not getting breastmilk NEED in order to survive. They cannot live without it. Yes in past generations people had powdered milk, but we know now that babies need certain things that you can't get from powdered milk alone which are present in formula. Of course breastmilk is the best milk for babies, but then other factors can influence that. Returning to full time work with long hours, medications, illness, or simply a parent not wanting to. I didn't continue because I figured my baby had a very good start in life and was getting a combination of breastmilk, formula and food for long enough, I didn't see that it would be detrimental to stop giving her one of those things and increase her food and formula intake. It's not in any way comparable to giving coke which is an unnecessary treat.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was about to write yes but then i realised i am one of those parents. My kids have had a coke slurpee before at the movies

Zomg i am who i judge. Im judging me so bad right now.

Oh dear. >_<

Braiiiiins

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (25-07-2013),Bulbasaur  (27-07-2013),oozzle  (26-07-2013),risfaerie  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No I'm actually not really commenting on formula or coke, more the direct assumption that other children's health is our business sometimes, but not at others. It's more that I really dislike both negatively judging others parenting choices based on a snapshot of what we see of someone else's life, but equally, I dislike the individualistic idea of 'its none of your business what I feed my child' when in fact, I think we should care what we all feed our kids, because on a global scale, it does matter.

I guess for me, on an individual basis I honestly don't really give a crap if people formula feed, many of my friends do and tbh I don't even think about it. I don't feel sad for them or their child. However on a community level, I absolutely care about breastfeeding, on a community level it does make a difference how kids are fed and this whole 'it's no-one else's business' a bit of a cop out (whether we're talking about coke, formula, fruit juice, white bread, smacking, cc whatever!)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

CicerFabaceaexxxx  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I was working full time as a single parent, spending our home time pumping for the next day when that time could have been spent giving mummy cuddles or reading stories, so it was better in that sense to not continue with it. Yes, the milk was a better type of milk, but it's not everything and formula is not terrible. In trying to give my baby the best by way of milk, she was missing out on the best by way of time. Again with the white bread, we have a variety here so who cares if sometimes we have white bread? I know that most of the time the food is good, so the times we have white bread, fruit juice or coke are not going to hurt. I don't know about smacking, it would again depend on age and context I guess, although I don't really think I've noticed people smacking so haven't thought much about it. Family violence is a real problem, smacking could come into that I suppose in some situations. What's cc? Childcare? When people use childcare they would have their reasons. As a single parent I had no choice in the matter really, my work wasn't a place where kids were able to be there, we'd often have wine glasses strategically balanced, I can only imagine what a 2 year old would do to the place. I haven't stopped and asked every parent at the daycare why they use it, some of them I have spoken to and it's come up in conversation but mostly I wouldn't have a clue and didn't even see most of the parents.

I do get judgement now for not working, people have made comments, even asking me if I feel bad for not setting a good example for my daughter. I have to tell them I'm only having 12 months off and it's due to personal injury, so that's setting the example that if you need time off to take care of yourself, that's ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes. Yes I do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    No I'm actually not really commenting on formula or coke, more the direct assumption that other children's health is our business sometimes, but not at others.
    Bc formula isn't harmful but regular consumption of coke is. When something is harmful to a child, imo that makes it others business. Just like using sposies isn't harmful, so it shouldn't be anyone's business, but a child seeing DV IS our business bc the child is being emotionally harmed.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

gizmoduckus  (26-07-2013),HugsBunny  (26-07-2013),risfaerie  (26-07-2013),smallpotatoes  (26-07-2013)