+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Shoot... I could have saved myself so much money! If I can't or choose not to breastfeed my next baby, I'll just buy her cans of Coke since formula and Coke is the same thing. I wasn't aware of the nutritional value in Coke : /
    Really?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (26-07-2013),snowqu33n  (26-07-2013)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    It's interesting that so many people stated its no-one's business how others feed their kids (in the ff thread), yet when it's Coke it seems it IS everyone's business!

dont get me wrong, I'm not suggesting coke and formula are at all similar, just that it seems to me its 'normal' and socially acceptable to feed your child formula, therefore others should not judge your choices, yet if I am to give my child soft drink, which is not so socially acceptable (in most circles), its ok for others to 'judje' and comment on what I feed my kids?

Just thought it was interesting....
    Coke is not 'feeding your child'. It has zero nutritional value and includes an addictive drug. Just because you consume it orally, doesn't make it a 'food choice'. Look, I think coke is a treat and I wouldn't let my kids have it before primary age (I'm guessing by school all bets are off and parents lose all control over these matters, lol), but I don't think it's the devil's drink. But I wouldn't call it a 'food choice'.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

risfaerie  (26-07-2013),snowqu33n  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Well my bench mark in judging any type of parenting - is there physical or emotional harm coming from a particular aspect of parenting. Putting your child in sposies as opposed to MCN doesn't tick that box, nor formula, or using CC for a working mother. Therefore I don't judge those decisions. if a parent is belting their child, or constantly feeding them junk, or allowing a 2 year to scoff a 600ml coke, then there is harm in that.

So I would say that the people that said they wouldn't judge a ffer but would seeing a small child drinking coke, are basing on the above. Formula is not harmful to babies, no matter what the pro bfing crowd says. Infact the WHO study says there is little to no long term benefits to bfing.

So formula isn't harmful, coke is. That's why some don't judge the former but do the latter.
    Well said

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    These kids were going absolutely bananas and high off it!!! Wouldn't be surprised if they develop problems due to lack of sleep and too much caffeine and all the other crap that's in red bull. God my 75kg body can barely tolerate a small can of red bull let alone a toddler/small child!!!!
    Oh dear, no excuse for it. Red bull is actually banned in certain countries and has been linked to death in some cases. What it could do to a child? Put it this way lack of sleep should be the least of their worries. I don't even have any stats on this at work as no one ever yet has studied the effects on energy drinks in children under 12, to my knowledge. Ummm wonder why?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hell yes!

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Well my bench mark in judging any type of parenting - is there physical or emotional harm coming from a particular aspect of parenting. Putting your child in sposies as opposed to MCN doesn't tick that box, nor formula, or using CC for a working mother. Therefore I don't judge those decisions. if a parent is belting their child, or constantly feeding them junk, or allowing a 2 year to scoff a 600ml coke, then there is harm in that.

So I would say that the people that said they wouldn't judge a ffer but would seeing a small child drinking coke, are basing on the above. Formula is not harmful to babies, no matter what the pro bfing crowd says. Infact the WHO study says there is little to no long term benefits to bfing.

So formula isn't harmful, coke is. That's why some don't judge the former but do the latter.
    I can't imagine a few swigs a week of mums coke is going to do any long term damage either though?? Yet it's completely acceptable to judge a parent who allows this. Yet people choosing to ff (when said parent has the option of bf) when there is a 'better' choice- it's no-one else's business. Interesting.

again, I'm not suggesting coke and formula are anything alike for the smart ar$es...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (26-07-2013),twotrunks  (27-07-2013)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    I'm not comparing coke to formula. I completely agree they are nowhere near similar. I'm just interested in the way so many people said 'its not my business what other people feed their kids', yet in some cases obviously we do see it as our business. I am quite passionate about child health and nutrition, and I DO personally think our childrens health is everyone's business, but I don't think this gives people the right to 'judge' other parent's choices per se.
    I understand what you're getting at. I think maybe in the BF/FF thread, people meant 'it's not my business what other people feed their kids...out of those two choices', given that they are both nutritional options that don't cause harm to the baby. Because I agree with you, as a community, and particularly as a global society (think rates of malnutrition in impoverished nations), the welfare of children should, and can, be everyone's business.

In regards to OP, I admit I am a judgemental person. I make judgements in my life about my own choices every day, and I put a lot of pressure on myself to do what a 'good' mum would do. I value bringing up my son to care about his health and look after his body, as I wasn't brought up that way, and I believe it's best to set good habits from a young age. So yes, I do judge the situation in which the child is drinking (a bottle of) Coke regularly, because not only is it bad for the child's health, but it is also probably instilling habits that can take a lifetime to undo. In that sense, I pity that child and judge the parents, yes.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (25-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Never seen anyone do it with a young kid! My friends step daughter (10) needs extensive dental work as her Mum gives her loads of lollies and is slack with brushing, which I think is really sad, but even that I dunno if Id judge since she has other special needs kids so who knows how hard it is for her?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Miados2007 View Post
    Formula is baby food - nutritionally balanced to perfection to ensure a baby / child has everything they require to thrive period. Coke is a drink with no healthy or nutritional qualities to speak of, in fact coke is not even really a drink as such it's confection.
    Not perfection, but that's a whole other thread and I'm not really interested in arguing about the differences and similarities between soft drink and formula, I'm pretty sure we all know they are not comparable, which is why I'm not suggesting they are.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Bulbasaur  (27-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You'd be surprised Annabella, on what a few sips here & there can do. No they are not going to drop dead or teeth fall out on the spot. But it is highly addictive (caffeine in all forms & sugars) to the developing mind & mindset of young children. The toddlers who started out having a few sips, are likely to be the children seen downing 600 ml bottles, or as another poster said asking for daddy's "the real coke" as opposed to the diet kinds. I am a big believer in everything in moderation but soft drink - umm no.