+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes I do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I just LOVE when people who have limited experience or knowledge of diabetes like to add their two cents about treating hypoglycaemia. Honestly, nothing annoys me more. Type 1 Diabetes does not play by rules, it does not act nicely, it's erratic and its behaviour hardly ever makes sense. I have been forced to pin my son down who was shaking uncontrollably and squirt glucose gel down that back of his throat because nothing else would bring his blood glucose up. Not glucodin, not lollies, not juice, nothing. Even the gel didn't work on that occasion.

Please don't admonish hypo treatments unless you live with this insidious disease every single day. Even then, what works for one person does not work for the rest, and vice versa. Type 1 Diabetes is a nasty disease. I am more than happy to provide more info if you would like to become further informed.

Quote Originally Posted by heeeeerekittykitty View Post
    I don't judge . My kids have coke sometimes . Well not really my daughter much i am abit stricter on her diet , but my son yes . And really to be honest they see it and don't really care or desperately want it , they are abit meh whatever . Because its never been off limits . They have been allowed sips or a small watered down cup so it's not this out of reach drink they are dying to try.

That said I couldn't give a flying F**k what anyone thinks of that and this is probably the rudest thing I've wrote on bubhub but you want to know why I'm so passionate about it , My son has such severe food issues relating to his autism that his diet consists of nothing but 2 foods and one drink that must be the exact colour. Two foods is an achievement, it was solely ONE food for a year . And that's on a good day when he actually IS eating and drinking . So frankly my views on this have dramatically changed . If he wants a drink of my coke ill give him a drink of it with pleasure. The fact he is drinking something of a different colour or even drinking from a cup is a huge thing when he does it . And I've seen people stare and look, I can almost read the judgment pouring out of their eyes and I think you really have no idea of my situation so judge away .

But even if he didn't have special needs I would still feel the same about my kids being allowed it in moderation .

Can't believe that only a couple of people in this thread wouldn't judge !!??? I seriously must live on a different planet because I don't know any parents in real life like this bar a few . All the kids in our extended family eat well, are healthy, loved , active children and they are allowed treats including coke as a treat sometimes if they want it. The parents don't blink an eye it's just known , " ok only a little bit, ok that's enough , water now the rest of the night " no big deal . I honestly must come from one of those feral bogan families always talked about on here .

And there is no denying cokes a horrid drink . I'm utterly addicted to the stuff but I don't deny it's got not one iota of goodness in it . Just like alot of other treats that children have sometimes. That's why MODERATION is the crucial thing regarding diet .
    Firstly to both of you.

These are the reasons why busy body should keep their big fat traps closed.

Seriously don't these mums have enough to deal with with their kids invisible disease with a upstart idiot coming over and giving them a hard time. You can't tell by looking at these kids that have a special need. The hurt ache and tears that mum like these have have endured over every little things their kids eat and drink is unbearable. The worry you have when you kids will only eat a few foods is massive. I am not talking about a fussy eater here either, I am talking about kids with real medical problems.

So next time you see a mum giving a child something that you personal wouldn't maybe take a second to think about kids with special needs and smile and move on.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (27-07-2013),heeeeerekittykitty  (27-07-2013),twotrunks  (27-07-2013),Witwicky  (27-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have to say....I originally answered yes but I'm going to own up to the fact that I was a bit naive when I first answered. After reading through all posts I honestly had no idea about some of the reasons why a child may be seen drinking coke. So thank you to those ladies who shared their personal stories because it really has opened my eyes to the fact that I have absolutely NO idea what is going on beyond the glimpse of their lives that I see.

So I do apologise to those ladies because I can't even imagine what some of you are going through with your children. I also want thank you again for sharing.....thanks to you I'm going to think twice when I see parents making certain food/drink choices because some of the time there is a bigger picture and who am I to judge on the brief moment I am there for.

Hugs to you ladies, you're doing an amazing job

ETA: I also just wanted to say that in my first post when I said yes I would judge I would never ever have said anything out loud to the parent. I know that doesn't make the fact that I used to judge any better but I did understand it was none of my business. That it would be awful and embarresing (for the other parent) for me as a complete stranger to comment about somebody elses parenting choice. It would only ever be a thought to myself and not something I would dwell on.
    Last edited by Purple Lily; 27-07-2013 at 08:28.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (27-07-2013),ChickyBee  (27-07-2013),heeeeerekittykitty  (27-07-2013),Witwicky  (27-07-2013)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hooray chipmunk lol.

Well id love for someone to approach me in the cinema about letting my child have a slurpee cause ive always wanted an excuse to throw a drink in someones face!

Braiiiiins

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Meld85  (27-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Lily View Post
    I have to say....I originally answered yes but I'm going to own up to the fact that I was a bit naive when I first answered. After reading through all posts I honestly had no idea about some of the reasons why a child may be seen drinking coke. So thank you to those ladies who shared their personal stories because it really has opened my eyes to the fact that I have absolutely NO idea what is going on beyond the glimpse of their lives that I see.

So I do apologise to those ladies because I can't even imagine what some of you are going through with your children. I also want thank you again for sharing.....thanks to you I'm going to think twice when I see parents making certain food/drink choices because some of the time there is a bigger picture and who am I to judge on the brief moment I am there for.

Hugs to you ladies, you're doing an amazing job

ETA: I also just wanted to say that in my first post when I said yes I would judge I would never ever have said anything out loud to the parent. I know that doesn't make the fact that I used to judge any better but I did understand it was none of my business. That it would be awful and embarresing (for the other parent) for me as a complete stranger to comment about somebody elses parenting choice. It would only ever be a thought to myself and not something I would dwell on.
    This is me. Never would have thought of coke as being 'useful' but I'll definitely stop and think now instead of judging.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

heeeeerekittykitty  (27-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    As far as I'm aware, the issue is caffeine not sugar, so I truly dont get the parents comparing the consumption of coke to cordial.

my children have been told no caffeine till 10 at least.

can I ask are you more worried about the sugar or the caffeine? I'm more worried about the caffeine

I get parents saying I drink a bit of coke so why should it be a problem...?

But I wonder if adults think about the fact that their children do no have fully formed brains etc which caffeine will have a bigger impact upon?
    The caffeine is why I won't let my kids have it until they're older (not judging those who give it as a small treat, and certainly not judging those who treat sick kids with it either, it always makes me feel better when I have a serious flu or tummy bug and can't keep anything else down ).
    I don't mind a little juice or lemonade (or a fire engine, gosh I loved those as a kid lol), in moderation. I wasn't allowed caffeinated drinks until I was a teenager and its a good policy I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I used to. I dont like DS who is 6 having coke but in the end, if others give their kids coke, thats their business. I have got to the stage where i honestly couldnt care what most parents do as i have my own child and the days are too short for me to be worried about anything that doesnt concern me.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Again, I ask, how does everyone have the time to see what other parents are doing?? Don't you have your own kids to keep an eye on?

Mind your own damn business!

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MrJones&Me For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (27-07-2013),Crumpet87  (27-07-2013),hopefulmama2b  (27-07-2013),Meld85  (27-07-2013),twotrunks  (27-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJones&Me View Post
    Again, I ask, how does everyone have the time to see what other parents are doing?? Don't you have your own kids to keep an eye on?

You are so right. If people payed all this extra attention on their own kids we wouldn't have so many judgmental people around!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJones&Me View Post

I only have one Bub so far, she's little, easy going, and gives me plenty of time to take notice of my surroundings lol
    That said I only really "judge" neglect, abuse, and child endangerment. Other things I might find a bit odd but I don't waste my time judging other parents

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app