+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyLittleTootsies View Post
    SO clearly my post isn't directed at you. You used it once as a last resort. I specifically gave the example of DH's family giving diabetic children as young as 3 jugs of diet coke as a treat (because they couldn't have juice, lemonade, normal coke). Another poster in here said they gave their child diet coke as a treat because they have consumed all their carbs, that is what reminded me of it.

I'm pretty interested medically though, as to why glucodin, or other options weren't going to work, only coke. If it were a situation where you were stuck at home with nothing and had to improvise well of course that is out of the usual and I would think anyone would agree you had no choice. I am saying where there IS choice, or when it is being used as a carb free treat, then no, I don' think it is a good enough reason.
    I had tried the usual juice and glucodin and it just wouldn't come up. I have no idea why. He was in injections at the time so there was obviously too much insulin given and that was the only left for me to try. Now that's he's on a pump, I can switch it off or tone the dosage down and so the juice and glucodin can work better.

Sorry for going off topic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sniggle6 View Post
    I had tried the usual juice and glucodin and it just wouldn't come up. I have no idea why. He was in injections at the time so there was obviously too much insulin given and that was the only left for me to try. Now that's he's on a pump, I can switch it off or tone the dosage down and so the juice and glucodin can work better.

Sorry for going off topic.
    Thanks for the answer I am interested in medical things, so was googling what it is about coke that works over other things but couldnt find anything about it. It would be interesting to know why.

Anyway I didn't mean to specifically offend anyone, I just can't help but judge every time at one of our family functions that damn jug of diet coke comes out for the child.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyLittleTootsies For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyLittleTootsies View Post
    Thanks for the answer I am interested in medical things, so was googling what it is about coke that works over other things but couldnt find anything about it. It would be interesting to know why.

Anyway I didn't mean to specifically offend anyone, I just can't help but judge every time at one of our family functions that damn jug of diet coke comes out for the child.
    I would have just assumed the sugar or the amount of it in coke would be why. But it could have eventually been a combination of the juice, glucodin and coke that eventually worked, who knows? Diabetes is a bit crazy like that sometimes!

And I do get what you mean about the jugs of coke. I've been bagged for buying cheese singles but that same person allows their child to chug on coke like its going out of fashion. I don't get it??

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=TinyLittleTootsies;7361751]Thanks for the answer I am interested in medical things, so was googling what it is about coke that works over other things but couldnt find anything about it. It would be interesting to know why.

My daughters paed said that at times type 1's can get immune to a certain treatment especially if they've been treated for hypo's frequently or the hypo is quite severe. There was a long time after my DD got sick that coke was the only thing that would work but thankfully the jellybeans have been working again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sniggle6 View Post
    So, when my child is having an extremely stubborn hypo and I just cannot get his blood sugar up, I should not even think of giving him coke? Please. If a diabetic hypo isn't a good enough reason, I don't know what is. It's not a treat, it's a life saving device (for want of a better word).

For what it's worth, I've only resorted to coke once and that was after many attempts at raising my sons blood sugar to a safe level.
    As mentioned before I'm a pediatric dietician & whilst many other things can increase ones blood sugar during a hypo the general rule of thumb that we are taught to teach & educate parents of diabetic children is " increase blood sugar by ANY means possible, as quick as you can". Now, if this means you have your jelly babies, jelly beans, oj handy AWESOME! If you can grab a coke, sprite, or a spoonful of sugar aWESOME!!!! End of story.

To the pp who said diabetes is not a good enough excuse, try dealing with a child who has a low or a hypoglycemic episode and as a parent you would do anything to elevate this. To prevent a seizure or worse.

As I also mentioned I'm extremely against coke & soft drink in general and certainly don't advocate parents of diabetic children to use this as a standard thing but in rare situations its been literally been a lifesaver.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Miados2007 For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (26-07-2013),RastaMouse  (26-07-2013),sniggle6  (27-07-2013),twotrunks  (27-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Oh, I would love to see someone go and tell some of the parents where I work what you think of them giving their kids coke. You'd have your teeth knocked out

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

delirium  (26-07-2013),snowqu33n  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Caviar View Post
    You make it sound like a bad thing.
    I think looking out for the health of those who can't for themselves and being looked after by those who don't know or care is a community service.
    So hell yes I judge. I think it's poor form giving that stuff to kids and whenever I see it happening, I walk over and I say something.

I know. A tad confrontational. But I don't care. Coke harms children.
    How rude.

Yes my kids (not babies) have had coke and will again. I know what I am doing and I know the reasons behind the choice we have made to allow our children on occasion to have a drink of coke.

My children are happy and healthy. They have a healthy relationship with food and I am so glad we have taken the approach we have.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (26-07-2013),atomicmama  (26-07-2013),beebs  (27-07-2013),Boobycino  (26-07-2013),heeeeerekittykitty  (27-07-2013),Sonja  (26-07-2013),Witwicky  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think looking out for the health of those who can't for themselves and being looked after by those who don't know or care is a community service.
    So hell yes I judge. I think it's poor form giving that stuff to kids and whenever I see it happening, I walk over and I say something.

You can count your lucky stars that you've never crossed paths with me. I assure you that in the limited amount of times my children have had coke, had anyone have said anything to me, I would have given them such a lesson that they would think about offering their advice ever again

13. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jakois For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (26-07-2013),beebs  (27-07-2013),BlackDiamond  (26-07-2013),Ellewood  (26-07-2013),hopefulmama2b  (26-07-2013),HugsBunny  (26-07-2013),Lauzy83  (27-07-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (26-07-2013),Witwicky  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Gosh hun, take a chill pill

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (26-07-2013),Witwicky  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Well, I'm not a fan of small children regularly drinking coke at all, but yikes I would never confront them especially to those I don't know.