+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I judge when there is no reason for it. And except for clearing tubes i am yet to hear a good reason to give a young child coke. Even sips imo are bad because you are just allowing them to taste something they shouldn't consume, or want to drink. There are so many reasons why coke is bad for a child that I am not sure why any parent would bother.

I am going to be controversial and say I don't think diabetes is a good enough reason either sorry. I have nannied children and had people in my family as children and a friend all with diabetes, none of them "needed" diet drinks as treats, just like every other child doesn't need a treat a day or meal, or even at a special function etc. I am saying this specifically because in DH's family there are young children with diabetes who have huge jugs of diet coke at every family function like it is water, because "they need it" to feel ok, or involved or like it is a party for them as well. It just isn't needed and it is damaging.

ETA not commenting on hypo situations, more people who give it as a sugar free/carb free treat for very young children. Although in a hypo you could give other things, not coke so I still don't see the need.
    Last edited by TinyLittleTootsies; 26-07-2013 at 18:11.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinyLittleTootsies For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (26-07-2013),~ElectricPink~  (27-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyLittleTootsies View Post
    I judge when there is no reason for it. And except for clearing tubes i am yet to hear a good reason to give a young child coke. Even sips imo are bad because you are just allowing them to taste something they shouldn't consume, or want to drink. There are so many reasons why coke is bad for a child that I am not sure why any parent would bother.

I am going to be controversial and say I don't think diabetes is a good enough reason either sorry. I have nannied children and had people in my family as children and a friend all with diabetes, none of them "needed" diet drinks as treats, just like every other child doesn't need a treat a day or meal, or even at a special function etc. I am saying this specifically because in DH's family there are young children with diabetes who have huge jugs of diet coke at every family function like it is water, because "they need it" to feel ok, or involved or like it is a party for them as well. It just isn't needed and it is damaging.
    So, when my child is having an extremely stubborn hypo and I just cannot get his blood sugar up, I should not even think of giving him coke? Please. If a diabetic hypo isn't a good enough reason, I don't know what is. It's not a treat, it's a life saving device (for want of a better word).

For what it's worth, I've only resorted to coke once and that was after many attempts at raising my sons blood sugar to a safe level.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sniggle6 For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (26-07-2013),twotrunks  (27-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So do you?
    You make it sound like a bad thing.
    I think looking out for the health of those who can't for themselves and being looked after by those who don't know or care is a community service.
    So hell yes I judge. I think it's poor form giving that stuff to kids and whenever I see it happening, I walk over and I say something.

I know. A tad confrontational. But I don't care. Coke harms children.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Caviar For This Useful Post:

Blossompossumxxxx  (26-07-2013)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would judge, yes, if it's being used as thirst quencher. An occasional sip or for diabetic reasons etc, I have no problem with.

Maybe I'm just really unused to it, my kids can't tolerate juice or soft drink in their diet, maybe it doesn't effect all kids the way it does mine. But the thought of putting coke in their little tummies, I just couldn't do it. I used to drink it myself, and smoke, eat Maccas etc, I'm partial to kit-kats & m&m's, so I'm no angel when it comes to junk food. But when it comes to my kids tummies, I couldn't put that cr@p in them. It's far more than just sugar & caffeine, it's highly processed, chemical-laden and full of gas that their little tummies can't process. so yep, I'm anti-coke for kids, ho hum!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sniggle6 View Post
    So, when my child is having an extremely stubborn hypo and I just cannot get his blood sugar up, I should not even think of giving him coke? Please. If a diabetic hypo isn't a good enough reason, I don't know what is. It's not a treat, it's a life saving device (for want of a better word).

For what it's worth, I've only resorted to coke once and that was after many attempts at raising my sons blood sugar to a safe level.
    I added to my post. I am talking specifically about using it as a treat. I don't think kids need treats specifically anyway, and not a jug of coke.

To answer you though.... there is NOTHING that makes his levels rise.. only coke? Is that your sons situation?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I added to my post. I am talking specifically about using it as a treat. I don't think kids need treats specifically anyway, and not a jug of coke.

To answer you though.... there is NOTHING that makes his levels rise.. only coke? Is that your sons situation?
    You said diabetes isn't a good enough reason, although I admit that I seem
    to misread the rest of your post.

I don't offer my son coke diet or not, as a treat at all, with or without diabetes.

If you read my post, I said ONCE I have used coke when nothing else would work and it was measured to 100ml. All other times I use juice ( :-O) or glucodin tablets. It's as a good a reason as clearing tubes, which you said was the only good reason.
    Last edited by sniggle6; 26-07-2013 at 18:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

You did say 'you could give other things, so it still isn't needed'... who are you to say it isn't needed?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Caviar View Post
    You make it sound like a bad thing.
    I think looking out for the health of those who can't for themselves and being looked after by those who don't know or care is a community service.
    So hell yes I judge. I think it's poor form giving that stuff to kids and whenever I see it happening, I walk over and I say something.

I know. A tad confrontational. But I don't care. Coke harms children.
    You seriously confront strangers when you see them giving their child coke?
    Wow

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Kelly8329  (27-07-2013),snowqu33n  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I completely agree. I have treated my child suffering from a severe hypo with jellybeans- that didn't work, juice- that didn't work and finally tried coke and got her back within target for a short amount of time. (Have you seen the glucogon needle? I'd prefer coke over the way she feels after this)
    I've even had to give DD1 Gatorade for days on end after a month long vomiting virus depleted her little body of all sugars making her hypo continuously and we had to get her sugar stores back up.
    And as for a sip of diet coke as a treat here or there ( no I didn't say a can or bottle) well next time you give your child a ice cream or lolly as a treat think of my child that doesn't have that and wonder 'how can I judge when I'm still giving sugary, addictive food'??

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (26-07-2013),sniggle6  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You said diabetes isn't a good enough reason. What has the treat part got to do with it? I don't offer my son coke as a treat at all, with or without diabetes.

If you read my post, I said ONCE I have used coke when nothing else would work and it was measured to 100ml. All other times I use juice ( :-O) or glucodin tablets. It's as a good a reason as clearing tubes, which you said was the only good reason.
    SO clearly my post isn't directed at you. You used it once as a last resort. I specifically gave the example of DH's family giving diabetic children as young as 3 jugs of diet coke as a treat (because they couldn't have juice, lemonade, normal coke). Another poster in here said they gave their child diet coke as a treat because they have consumed all their carbs, that is what reminded me of it.

I'm pretty interested medically though, as to why glucodin, or other options weren't going to work, only coke. If it were a situation where you were stuck at home with nothing and had to improvise well of course that is out of the usual and I would think anyone would agree you had no choice. I am saying where there IS choice, or when it is being used as a carb free treat, then no, I don' think it is a good enough reason.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyLittleTootsies For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (27-07-2013)