+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I've seen coke the bottle on many occasions, poor it in, hold the teat, shake it up then let the gas out the teat. Heart breaking. My kids use to beg for a drink of water at my ex's family homes. They use to force them to have soft drink because it was silly and unfair to drink water. They used to feel awful after they drank and felt more dehydrated, they felt pressured to not drink water.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Des1102 For This Useful Post:

Blossompossumxxxx  (26-07-2013)

jbish is offline “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” Dr Seuss
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've seen it too! When I worked in retail I saw a woman give her screaming toddler (probably 1-1/12) a baby bottle full of coke. I just couldn't believe it. I totally judged. I'm not sure what made it worse, the coke or the fact that it was in a bottle. I could only imagine what the poor bubs teeth were going to turn out like!

Little bit of soft drink here and there for an older toddler, that's up to each parent I guess. We don't really give our daughter soft drink, on the odd occasion that she has had it, she doesn't like it. Prefers milk or water. We would never allow her coke.

jbish is offline “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” Dr Seuss
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I'm another with a child who has Type 1 Diabetes. I'm begging parents not to judge other parents if they don't know the situation. I have never had to give my son coke, but a close friend's son was having a terrible hypo and nothing was working, so they were required to give him coke and it worked.

I have been judged for giving my son lollies etc to treat hypos and we once had to give him sugar sachets. Please don't judge! It's the difference between him living or being in a coma, or at the very worst, dead.
    I never thought of it this way. Thanks for sharing that info.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jbish For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I just think wtf? I'm not sure if that's judging? I just.dont.get.it.

But I rarely drink it myself so don't understand adults obsession with it either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I hate the word judge.

Do I think the parents are wrong for giving coke to someone under 5, absolutely.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I'm another with a child who has Type 1 Diabetes. I'm begging parents not to judge other parents if they don't know the situation. I have never had to give my son coke, but a close friend's son was having a terrible hypo and nothing was working, so they were required to give him coke and it worked.

I have been judged for giving my son lollies etc to treat hypos and we once had to give him sugar sachets. Please don't judge! It's the difference between him living or being in a coma, or at the very worst, dead.
    How scary for you! This is why I don't like to judge! Yes I do feel bad for the kids at school who have it for breakfast but like I said maybe the parents don't even know they are having it and also that's kids I see every day, if a kid was at the pub having a coke I wouldn't even take notise of it because how is anyone to know how often they happens?

Thanks
    Reviews
    i'd question it to myself "why?". Maybe the kid has a medical issue and needed a sugar hit. who know's. That's about the only reason good enough, in my books to be giving a very young child coke.
    My 2.5yr old sees the juice bottle in the fridge and will occasionally ask for some. Ive never given it to her un-diluted, she would have no idea how sweet that stuff really is even if it was fresh squeezed id still dilute it so she doesnt get used to the sweetness.
    Her grandpa takes her to the local pub for a "lemonade". Without me even telling him, my dad tells the barman/woman to fill it 1/4 then the rest with soda water! He tells them she's only on the "light stuff" and they have a good giggle. That's their little treat together.
    Ive seen coke given in milk bottles (clearly not a medical reason behind it as the baby is chilling back in the stroller sucking it down) and it is really awful to see that. Poor baby.
    I guess some people just dont know any better, unfortunately.
    Last edited by the very last country song; 26-07-2013 at 14:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I just wanted to remind people just because you see a bottle of brown/black stuff doesn't necessary mean it is coke. Some specialized formulas are a similar colour to coke.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (26-07-2013),Kelly8329  (27-07-2013),smallpotatoes  (26-07-2013),twotrunks  (27-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tadpoles View Post
    I didn't want to give my son juice but when he was 2.5 the doctor told me to as he was constipated. It was watered down but since he got a taste for it he asks all the time He now gets it as a treat occasionally but still no soft drink or cordial.

My brother had a root canal at 6 yrs old from too much juice and cordial so yes I judge people that let their kids have sugary drinks all the time.

Sent from my telecommunications device.
    A close friend of mine has a son with bowel problems, he has been drinking watered down prune and pear juices since he was 4 months, at the Dr's orders. It was either this or the potential for lifelong laxatives, which may still be on the cards for him. It is true, you cannot always judge a situation at face value!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Regularly, yes bloody hell don't give your kid coke every day! Dah!

Occasionally, at a party for example, ok, not a whole can though sheesh.

I have given DS lemonade (a quart of a cup) at times and he is almost 3, but never coke. Not sure why I think lemonade is ok every now and then but not coke. Anyway, I usually only ever give him water or milk. I want to keep him pyre for as long as I can lol.

Also, once they have it they want it and that's dangerous until they are at an age where they can understand it's a treat and not part if a normal, healthy diet.