+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Anyone have a baby who didn't like your breast milk?

The other thread got me thinking about BF and I was curious of anyone has had this happen?

I BF DS1 for 2 weeks but was also comp feeding as I didn't produce enough breast milk (later learnt from my surgeon this was due to my breasts being under developed). He would latch on fine after a little help from my lactation consultant and would suck like a trooper but I just didn't have enough to feed him. I was on meds and tried all sorts of things recommended but in the end got fed up of the 3 hour night feeds as he would BF for ages then I would have to FF him. My 'milk' dried up in a day. Literally.

With DS2 I expected the same thing to happen and was so stoked that my boobs seemed to be producing more milk and it came through on day 3. DS2 was a dream to feed the first few days with my colostrum and seemed quite content with just that. As soon as my milk came through he absolutely refused to feed off me. He would get some on his tongue and screw up his face as if I was squeezing lemon juice into his mouth lol Midwives were great and we tried a whole heap of different things to try and get him to feed off me.

After a full 24 hours of him not feeding I gave in and FF. DS1 had severe dehydration due to my milk taking forever and lack of supply which caused him to have uric crystals in his urine. That scared the cr@p outta me when that happened so didn't want that to happen with DS2. I have him the formula and he couldn't get it into him fast enough! I tried going from breast to bottle over and over but still every time he tasted my milk he would screw up his face and refuse to drink it.

I was keen to go home from hospy so just said I was gonna FF but I kept trying for another week or so every feed ending in the same result. Even trying to eat or drink different foods etc to try and see if it made a difference. I don't regret not trying longer as I still had extremely minimal supply so still would have had to comp feed and I had a toddler to care for so had to consider him too.

I honestly think that he hated my milk! Lol My CHN said that its extremely rare but it can happen. Curious to know how rare it actually is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Tbh I have never, ever heard of such a thing! It doesn't make evolutionary sense! How strange, I wonder what could have caused it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    On reflection, my guess is perhaps you had a forceful letdown and that's why bub kept pulling away?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Tbh I have never, ever heard of such a thing! It doesn't make evolutionary sense! How strange, I wonder what could have caused it?
    I know right? I was like WTF you strange child! I was so devo too as I had more supply. Every time I FF him I would leak and even had that engorged feeling. Never had that with DS1. I tried pumping and giving him a bottle of it but nope. Wouldn't drink it!

Even tried just putting a drop on my finger and put it in his gob lol

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    That is extremely strange. I'm sure it's uber rare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know when my milk came in DD was a bit unsettled for a few days. I think the sudden richness of the milk can be a change for them and takes some adjusting for their belly's. maybe that contributed?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueLips For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (25-07-2013)