+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Excessive Weight loss post baby

Pre pregnancy I was around 67kg. I gained 14kg during pregnancy. I was back to my pre-pregnancy weight within 2 weeks. Great right?? Well I'm breastfeeding and have continued to lose weight. She is 13weeks and I'm down to 60kg. Its a big loss and if I continue this way I am going to look sickly thin. I think people believe I'm not coping but I'm actually fine. I eat as much as hubby now. I eat healthy and snack lots. What can I do to curb the weight loss? Have other breastfeeding mums lost excessive weight also?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you had your thyroid function checked. An over active thyroid can cause weight loss and can be seen post partum.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Samy2014  (22-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've been wondering the same thing myself. I gained around 15k and am now lighter than I was pre preg at 16 days pp. I figure it has to slow down soon?!? I did pop out a 9 pound + baby though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I put on a fair bit of weight with both pregnancies and list it in no time. I've always figured that's just how my body is.

Have you tried something like having an up and go daily? It may help.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by dancingchipmunk View Post
    I put on a fair bit of weight with both pregnancies and list it in no time. I've always figured that's just how my body is.

Have you tried something like having an up and go daily? It may help.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I was having Sustagen in between meals but it gives my LO bad gas.
    I haven't stopped losing weight but hadn't heard of thyroid issues post partum so will look into it.
    I think the breastfeeding has made my metabolism super fast though as I'm always hungry!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with getting your thyroid checked. I had my levels checked post-partum as I was already on meds for an under active thyroid. The results came back as over active. I was dropping weight quite fast at that point but not as rapidly as you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I also think you should get your thyroid function checked!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have gained a few kilos back so am now sitting at 48kg at 11 weeks post partum. In the first few weeks I'd say i was down to 45kg at a guess. Was looking way too thin.

I gained it back by eating high calorie foods and indulging in all the naughty foods I wasn't allowed in pregnancy due to gestational diabetes. I ate icecream every night for about 8 weeks !!! Not the heathers but maybe try some good fats, full fat dairy ect.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueLips View Post
    I have gained a few kilos back so am now sitting at 48kg at 11 weeks post partum. In the first few weeks I'd say i was down to 45kg at a guess. Was looking way too thin.

I gained it back by eating high calorie foods and indulging in all the naughty foods I wasn't allowed in pregnancy due to gestational diabetes. I ate icecream every night for about 8 weeks !!! Not the heathers but maybe try some good fats, full fat dairy ect.
    I try and be healthy but won't say no to some chocolate! Also I switched to full fat milk, yoghurt etc. a while back.
    Just looked up post partum hyperthyroidism and I have most the symtoms. I will book in to my gp. Thanks ladies I didn't realise this was so common. Looks like it often resolves itself but it can get worse also so better get it checked out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had a very similar problem, OP. Now it is a problem I would love to have but back then it was very difficult!

I just made sure I ate and ate and ate. DD was a voracious feeder so I had to become one too.

I found it was hard to raise it as an issue , too. Everyone just said 'aren't you lucky'.