+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Depending on age, but with both my children, if they're having a doozy, I calmly get down to their level and say firmly " (full name, means business!), DO we throw tantrums in this house?! No, we use our words. If you cannot calm down by the time I count to 3, you can sit in time out until you are ready to talk". Sometimes it will give them something else to focus on because I expect an answer, other times not so much. If we are at home and have a scream fest they go to their room to calm down and we have a chat after about how we feel, why we were angry, and also that anger is ok, but there are ways to deal with it that aren't screaming lol. If out and about and there is no calming down, we go to the car and we will sit there until they've calmed enough to talk. If I think we can go back to what we were doing, I try to, because I gotta get stuff done! But if its a battle because they're tired hungry etc, we pack it in.
    Didn't realise it'd be an essay, sorry!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi,

I am going through this with my 4 nearly 5 year old!! lol I don't know what to do!!! He has always been a drama queen and they are not so much tantrum go crazy, but just starts crying, drives me nuts!!! I have tried ignoring, tried go to your rooming, tried here is my full out attention now what is your problem?!!?!? now teachers are on about it!! She is like I am just going to ignore it... I'm like that's great hope it works for you, think this is a new problem for me, NONONONONONONO

So sorry no answers just pray it is over soon!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...t=tantrums+4+5

lol I just searched tantrums before I replied to yours, here is my thread that came up in the search from 2008, asking for answers on tantrums!! lol Someone needs to write a really good book and find the answers to this issue!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I usually just stay with DD until she's finished, then when she's calmed down, give her a hug (if she'll let me - sometimes she's still too mad). Then I acknowledge the emotion and explain the situation.

So for example, I say something like, "I know your feeling frustrated (or hurt, angry, sad, whatever it is). Running on the road is dangerous and I don't want you to be hurt by a car.

When I was little and having a tantrum, my mum used to pretend she didn't know who I was and would send me outside to find her "real" daughter and send her back in. I would stomp outside and come back in happy. I'd forgotten about that until this thread - I might have to try this approach with DD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarSkull View Post
    TAMING! damn auto correct!
    What do you ladies do when your toddler throws a tantrum? I have no idea what to do and I feel like I'm losing control. I had such an angel child up until a few weeks ago. I don't know what to do or how to handle them!!! Do I ignore the tantrums? Do I hug them out?
    Help!!
    We use magic 1, 2, 3 with timeout. Works a treat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine usually chuck tantrums because they're not getting their own way so we ignore and if it gets prolonged they get sent to their room until they've calmed down. After they've calmed down they can come out where they get a stern talking to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    Mine usually chuck tantrums because they're not getting their own way so we ignore and if it gets prolonged they get sent to their room until they've calmed down. After they've calmed down they can come out where they get a stern talking to.
    Yeah ignoring a tantrum can be hard to do, but is usually pretty effective in our household. We pretend it's not happening and usually a minute or two later it's over.