+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default almost 7mth old wont finish bottles, prefers food.

DS is almost 7mths and has been having food from 6mths.
    Im wondering how much food is too much?
    DS has 4 x 200ml bottles in 24hrs. The last couple weeks he has been only drinking 100mls from the 2nd and 3rd bottles, i cant interest him to take anymore even after half hour rest. If i offer more milk instead of food, it doesnt satisfy him and he wont sleep for long at all. All up he's getting 500-600mls of milk.

He demands food like ive never seen and wolfs it down really fast as if he is starving. In regards to food, this is his routine:
    7am - 200mls bottle
    8am - 2-3tbls baby cereal + 3 ice cubs of fruit puree mixed in
    11am - 100mls bottle
    12pm - 4 ice cubes of meat and vege puree + 2 cubes of fruit puree
    3pm -100mls bottle
    5pm - Usually picks vegies/pasta off DD's plate then has 3qtrd pieces of poached fruit and feeds himself untill he looses interest or stops crying out for more.
    7pm - approx 160mls bottle and bed for the night.
    He sleeps through the night untill 7am.

I know its too early to be replacing bottles and he's not eating near a wide enough variety of foods to even think about replacing milk but what can i do to get him to drink more milk.
    I thought about giving him 3x200ml bottles in hope he would drink all of them (which would be what he's taking ATM) rather than wasting so much by offering 4 bottles.
    I have tried giving him less food but he screams at me as if he's in pain for more untill he's satisfied! He expects food now, i cant not offer it at all and i also think it's helping to make him feel full overnight.
    He's a happy bub, sleeps well day and night. Hitting all milestones ect.
    Hes a big boy, 10kgs.
    DH wants to follow DS' lead and give him more food as he demands it meaning he will end up taking less and less milk. I think ds is too young and needs milk?

Any ideas?
    Last edited by the very last country song; 24-07-2013 at 14:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was advised to cut back one meal. Food is for fun until they're 1. I ended up calling the nurses helpline and the doctor I spoke to told me to cut back on lunch and just give DS solids for breakfast and dinner only.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    what your doing seems fine, my DS was only drinking 650ml a day at that age, he will naturally drink less than he was before solids, as long as you keep offering milk first he will be fine, he sounds like a big healthy bub and I'm a big believer in baby led so maybe start offering some more finger foods when your DD has dinner if he is hungry

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    what your doing seems fine, my DS was only drinking 650ml a day at that age, he will naturally drink less than he was before solids, as long as you keep offering milk first he will be fine, he sounds like a big healthy bub and I'm a big believer in baby led so maybe start offering some more finger foods when your DD has dinner if he is hungry
    Thankyou. I was just worried about the amount of milk he was taking. I add more to his purees so he's actually getting 20-30mls more in his food.
    He only eats finger foods at dinner, he does really well and loves pasta. Im now making up his own as he is eating too much from dd's plat

So i should just keep going with him and not worry too much about him not finishing bottles?
    PP, if i cut out a meal, DS will act as if i have slit his throat!

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My girl is 7.5 months she has food for breaky and dinner only then has 4x 200ml bottles but leaves about 30-40 mls in some of them.

Braiiiiins

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    OP I could've written your post word for word when my ds was only 5 months! He loves his food but never keen on milk. I found it so worrying because of all the people that say food before one is for fun etc, but you can't force feed them and even if I cut back the solids my boy still turned his head away from milk.

My family gp who sees ds regularly said its fine as long as he's putting on weight and seems happy etc. I just gave him some water with food to make sure he didn't get dehydrated or constipated. So I really wouldn't worry about it. Have fun enjoying food with him.

I'm relieved to hear your bubs sounds like mine :-) I got sick of hearing about babies that would suck bottles dry!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Funnels For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (24-07-2013),the very last country song  (25-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the very last country song View Post
    Thankyou. I was just worried about the amount of milk he was taking. I add more to his purees so he's actually getting 20-30mls more in his food.
    He only eats finger foods at dinner, he does really well and loves pasta. Im now making up his own as he is eating too much from dd's plat

So i should just keep going with him and not worry too much about him not finishing bottles?
    PP, if i cut out a meal, DS will act as if i have slit his throat!
    Yep just keep doing what your doing, formula is still more important but 600ml a day is still a good amount plus he is eating well which is a bonus , just keep up milk before food to make sure he drinks it , it's great he loves his food! Keep adding/trying new foods and don't be scared to add herbs /spices/ garlic/ginger etc as this is a great age for them to get used to different flavours and develop great eating habits!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Funnels do we have the same GP?! OP: My DD LOVES her food too I just try to keep a close eye on her output (wees and poos) and the consistency just to make sure she's getting the right balance of solids and breastmilk. The Annabel Karmel book says they take about 500-600mls of milk at that age so i'd say you're on the right track just remember to offer water regularly also

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Yep just keep doing what your doing, formula is still more important but 600ml a day is still a good amount plus he is eating well which is a bonus , just keep up milk before food to make sure he drinks it , it's great he loves his food! Keep adding/trying new foods and don't be scared to add herbs /spices/ garlic/ginger etc as this is a great age for them to get used to different flavours and develop great eating habits!

Great advice thankyou we are still on pretty boring and plain stuff like vegies, pasta, red meat. I have just introduced chickpeas and lentils mixed in with his vege and he gobbles it up. Ive also heard apple and cinnamon is a good combo that babies love. I think i might wait untill the next time i whip up a spag bol and try him on that....i put a mass amount of garlic and herbs in it
    He had my home made beef Ragau (i mixed in his pureed vege for him to make it go further!) and mash potato last night for dinner and demolished it. then sunk his 200ml bottl before bed so i guess they regulate themselves in a way.

Ive never offered water to him, im always worried it would fill him up. There is a bit of water left in his vege and when i steam vege for him i can see water squeeze out when he bites into pieces. He's not constipated as prunes are a regular fruit in his daily diet