+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default how often does your 3 month old breast feed?

My girl is 13 weeks and feeds every 2 hours. I just feed on demand but she has settled into her own routine of:
    Wake 7am feed
    Nap around 8.
    9am feed
    Nap around 10.15
    11am feed
    Nap around 12.15
    1pm feed etc.
    She goes to bed around 8.30pm and only wakes for one fees around 3am.

All her naps are only about 45min but I can't seem to stretch her naps or feeds. I don't follow Save our Sleep but have read it ans her routine is breastfeeds every 4 hours which doesn't seem anywhere near enough!!
    When did your baby change her feeding times? Is this really often or normal for a bf bub?? She still takes 30-40min per feed too!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    OMG I could have written this myself!! My bub is 12 weeks Thursday and for the past 2 1/2 weeks has decided that she wants to feed every 2 1/2 hrs!! My poor boobies are now very big and full! She also doesn't sleep til 8:30 most nights (I have gotten a 6:45 and 7pm bedtime once only) and her day naps are very similar to ur LO!

I have just started to follow the SoS routines for sleep only just to see how it goes. i will follow it for 2 weeks just to see. i follow the general feed times but still demand feed if she wants so we will see how she goes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah the 11am sometimes stretches 2.5 hours to 11.30 but its seriously like she has to fill up in the day to manage a 6 hour stretch at night. Mind you she still cluster feeds from around 6.30 to 8.30 so we are stuck at home every night!
    Yeah I thinj SOS doesn't work for breastfeeding, cos every 4 hours is a LONG time to wait.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Your pattern sounds very similar to my LO at that age. DS is now 8 mths, but fed 2-3 hourly at 3 mths (generally 2 hourly, stretching to 3 hourly as he neared 4 mths). Thankfully he was a very quick feeder though!

He was also a catnapper at that age sleeping about 40mins, then awake 40mins, repeat repeat repeat! He naturally started sleeping longer at about 6 mths.

In contrast my DD fed 4 hourly from birth and was never a catnapper. I think they are all different which is why set routines in books aren't very helpful (if people follow them strictly at least).

ETA both of mine were fully breastfed at that age

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (23-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 3 month old feeds on and off all day, with short 30 minute catnaps in between. It can be so frustrating when you think they are soundly asleep and they wake up such a short time later.

He goes to bed at around 6pm, wakes for a feed at around 3am, then sleeps til about 8am. This means he is in his cot for around 14 hours with only one feed in between so I am very happy with that.

The catnapping and BF all day can be frustrating, but as long as he sleeps all night I don't mind.

My daughter was the same but as I recall, from around 6 months she began to have two set day naps, morning and afternoon so I am hoping my son will morph into this pattern soon too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    By the way, I tried everything to get my daughter out of her catnapping habit, but nothing would change it, so with my son I am just going with it because I know it won't last forever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD was the same at that age. I spoke to a nurse who said (if i wanted to stretch it out) then to keep her up for an extra 10 minutes until she was awake for 1.5 hours and sleeping for 1, o slowly stretch to 2.5 hrs between feeds.

Once she started solids the milk feeds stretched to 3 and then she dropped from 3 naps to 2 naps per day. She's 8.5 months and still on 5 feeds.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, my little guy is exactly the same. He feeds every 2 hours morning and night. Although I'm lucky in that he's a pretty efficient little feeder and it rarely takes him any more than about 10 minutes to finish a feed now.

I keep hoping and wishing for longer stretches but it's just not happening yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your routine was identical to mine for DS2 - completely normal! Unfortunately he was/is still a slow feeder. Makes it so much harder.

He's nearly 5mths (20wks) now and has just started having at least 1 longer sleep a day, so his feeds have adjusted to approx:-

Wake/feed 6.30-7am
    Nap 8.30-9am (40mins)
    Wake/feed 10am
    Nap 12pm (1.5-2hrs)
    Wake/feed 2pm
    Nap 4pm (40mins)
    Bath/boob/bed routine 5-7pm
    Overnight feeds still at 11pm & 3-4am

I didn't put too much pressure on resettling him for the first few months, I just went with it. He's my 2nd though so I knew from DS1 that he would eventually grow out of it (with a little help) and he has already, for 1 sleep at least.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 14 week old is similar. She feeds every 2-3hrs throughout the day and catnaps for 30 mins. It can be frustrating cos I feel like I'm constantly trying to get her to sleep. She goes anywhere between 8-11hrs over night though, so I'm lucky in that regard.

It sounds like it's very normal and they just need to grow out of it. I think more day feeds mean less night feeds (for my bub anyway), so I'm happy to do it.