+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What would you do? - Returning to work after Maternity Leave

Hi everyone, so I'm just looking for people's opinions/experiences about maternity leave, returning to work and their jobs.

I'm going on maternity leave 6 weeks prior to my EDD and I have advised my employer that I will be on mat leave for 12 months with the option of returning sooner (this was all decided quite early in my pregnancy). I've had a few rough patches throughout this pregnancy and my work have been really flexible and accommodating for which I am extremely grateful for. The only thing is that now I'm not so sure I want to return to my current role/work place due to future career aspirations/goals plus other small yet important details i.e. commuting time, salary, flexibility. I have been feeling this way for a while now so I guess what I'm asking is should I resign from my current job and look for another job OR for security reasons, should I keep my current role and look for another role while I'm on mat leave and then resign once I have secured another role?

I want to do right by my employer but also have my family's best financial interests upheld. I'd love to hear from other who are/have been in a similar situation.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to babehmamma For This Useful Post:

Rice  (24-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Absolutely option 2! Oh I should add that I resigned from my job at the end of my mat leave and started a new job (because my employer were crap to me while I was on leave!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would definitely hold onto your job, just in case. You never know what could happen, e.g. If your partner lost his job, you might have to return earlier than expected and at least you'd have a job to go back to (not saying this will happen, but just an example). I think after having a baby and 12 months off work, many women choose not to return, either to become a SAHP or pursue other avenues, whether that be study or different employment, so I'm sure they wouldn't begrudge you if you did choose not to go back.

All the best for the remainder of your pregnancy :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Absolutely option 2! Oh I should add that I resigned from my job at the end of my mat leave and started a new job (because my employer were crap to me while I was on leave!).
    Thanks for your opinion! Some employers just lack understanding and empathy. I've been pretty lucky hence why I don't want to eff them around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also work in HR so it's my professional as well as personal opinion. You want to keep your options open.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

babehmamma  (23-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I tend to avoid making life making decisions whilst I am pregnant or babymooning. Too many hormones and things going on. So for me I would reassess later and just try to give my employer plenty of notice if I decided not to return
    You're so right and that's exactly why I have refrained from making a decision, I'm not sure if it's the hormones, the fact I'm tired and it's making be miserable at work! So thank you for your advice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    I would definitely hold onto your job, just in case. You never know what could happen, e.g. If your partner lost his job, you might have to return earlier than expected and at least you'd have a job to go back to (not saying this will happen, but just an example). I think after having a baby and 12 months off work, many women choose not to return, either to become a SAHP or pursue other avenues, whether that be study or different employment, so I'm sure they wouldn't begrudge you if you did choose not to go back.

All the best for the remainder of your pregnancy :-)
    Yeah very true! I just want to be completely honest with my employer because they have been amazing to me but my heart is just not in it anymore and it hasn't been in it since before I got pregnant. I just don't want to leave with a sour taste and then they give me a bad reference! Thanks again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    I also work in HR so it's my professional as well as personal opinion. You want to keep your options open.
    I work in HR/Recruitment too Are you currently working?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes 3 days a week

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah awesome! Hopefully I can find a lovely part time role while I'm on mat leave, I love my profession but I just need a change in company!