+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How to get a 3,.5 yr old to have a blood test

My 3.5 has had a sudden dip in his growth.

I have to take him for a blood test. Understandably he will be terrified. I am freaked out.

What can I do to help him?

Will I have to restrain him myself? Apparently the pathology place that I have to take him to deals with lots of kids.

I'm freaking out for him

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try some "emla" cream, and put it on a few areas, it'll numb his skin and she shouldn't feel it then, and bribery helps too lol, and loads of distraction, take his favourites a book, toy, some food, and have a fun plan for afterwards, and go in confident if he sees it's no big deal then he won't feel as much anxiety. But if you show that you're really anxious he'll feel it too.

Hope that helps. Ps you can get that cream at any pharmacy just over the counter and they can explain how to use it too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ring pathology and see if they have some hints. I would be telling him that he needs to have a needle and it might hurt but if he stays very still it will hurt less. And maybe get him a new toy or book to take with you. I had a blood test at about the same age and all I remember is the new book mum had for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. I remembered the Emla cream this morning actually so def will go buy some.

Gees I had a blood test last week and he cried watching me.

It isn't going to be easy. Poor fella. But I've known for months somethings not right and have mentioned my concerns repeatedly to the Gp, so we have to do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds1 had to have a blood test when he was 1 for similar reasons.

The way we did it was having me sit in the chair, with ds1 on my lap. I held him firmly while a nurse held his arm. I lowered my head next to his so I could give him kisses on the cheek and block his view of the needle. They were able to do it petty quickly and once it was done everyone made a big fuss over how good he was, such a big boy, etc.

I think it really helps if you are calm.
    I hope it goes as smoothly as possible for you and your ds

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My ds has had quite a few blood tests and the best thing to do is to just get it over & done with. I mentioned it at the last possible minute to stop him stressing and he just had them done. I didn't bother with EMLA as it needs to be in place for a while (1/2 hour) and I didn't necessarily let my ds know that far in advance and I think putting it in multiple places might scare him more - thinking he's going to get lots of needles.

With my ds recently (at 6) I just took him on the way to school to a place that I knew did lots of tests on children (I rang first to check). Then he sat on my knee & I cuddled him and told him to stay still (and I helped hold his arm) while the test was done. He cried a bit, but he was fine once it was all over & he got a bravery certificate which he proudly took to school to show off. Thankfully his tests were all normal this time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's hard on mum and child at that age. We had to get several blood tests for ds between 28 mths and 3 years old. I sat in the chair with ds sitting sideways on my lap so 1 arm was naturally restrained. I would then hold his body and head against me like a hug with his head towards me so I could talk to him and he didn't see the needle. They were always quick and gentle and had a prize at the end for him. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We used an Emla patch when my DD (then 4) had to have a blood test last year. She literally did not flinch and says she didn't feel a thing. I'm sure the chocolate afterwards helped too.
    She was given a knitted Red Cross bear at the pathology clinic too.