+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How much EBM to send to daycare?

DS (11 months) has just started daycare and I have no idea how much EBM to send with him. He's been exclusively BF until now so I don't know how much he drinks at each feed.

How much do 11 month old bubs drink at a time?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Have you given him EBM in a bottle before? My 11 month old only drank 200ml in the morning and same at night so no milk at daycare (formula), just water. I do know a couple of babies who were BF and just had water at daycare and BF at morning at night. Would that work? Might be easier than introducing a bottle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Both my kids decided at that stage to cut out daycare bottles. With DS1 it coincided with a change in centre. DS2 has pretty much stopped feeding during the day so I'm still going to send one for after lunch. I only send about 180 mL but if you are just starting it might be worth sending smaller bottles of fresh milk but send more than you need. That way if he doesn't drink them all you can take them home and freeze them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are working on the best cup/bottle to feed him from and sadly at this stage it looks like the bottle is what he will take best. He's never had a bottle before and it's a shame to introduce it now but he's very small/low weight so it's important that he gets as much as we can get into him. I think he would fade away to nothing if I was to only feed him at the ends of the day.

So your bub easily takes 200ml at a time? At the moment the most DS has taken is 60ml but I am thinking he needs more than that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes but my bub is definitely not small! He was drinking 60ml as a newborn though so it doesn't sound a lot to me... Most bubs I know this age drink between 150-250ml in one go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I should add that DS mostly refuses purées and just picks at finger food, eating bit and pieces but nothing much. He's really not getting much sustenance from his solids at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS1 started daycare at around 14 months (1 day per week), and I used to send 3 x 150ml bottles EBM with him. It was more than he needed, but I liked to have extra there incase he got really unsettled or got fussy with his food and didn't eat. He generally only took 2 bottles, so after about a month I just sent 2 x 150ml with him and that was plenty (some of his afternoon one he didn't finish). My advice would be to send maybe twice what you think he will need at the start (if you have the EBM supplies!) and ask the carers to let you know exactly how much he is drinking so you can regulate it a bit better after a few weeks.
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 23-07-2013 at 07:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Some kids don't drink large amounts at one time. Neither of mine would ever drink 100ml, on a good day they would drink 50 or 60 ml. I think they just preferred to wait until they could drink at the breast.

My dd just had water and solids if i was at work from 10 months. She wasn't eating much at the start, but over time she increased her intake. She stayed with my partner or Mum and i think they offered snacks often rather than 'meals'.