+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudMumma34 View Post
    I would definitely quit if it's costing you more to work and then look for a teaching job whilst at home.
    This sounds better. Can't believe it's so hard to get teaching jobs, we need more good teachers!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been trying very hard to get relief work locally. I had one job come up but it far away and due to day care starting times I could not make it on time. I live in nice area and everyone wants to work/teach around here. I am happy to travel BUT when daycare opens at 7am and a 1hr drive turns into a 2 hr drive due to peak hr traffic it becomes impossible.

My problem is that I have NO contacts here... it's now what you know but who you know!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you take a step back and do some Teacher aid work? it might allow you to do build some contacts up in schools near by that could lead to you being picked for relief work or a full time job.
    Or if you get really desperate maybe you could volunteer in near by schools to build contacts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettie View Post
    Could you take a step back and do some Teacher aid work? it might allow you to do build some contacts up in schools near by that could lead to you being picked for relief work or a full time job.
    Or if you get really desperate maybe you could volunteer in near by schools to build contacts?
    I was about to say this. A lot of parent helpers get picked up as Aides down the track at our school

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybloom View Post
    Advice please.

After years of living in another state we moved back to Syd when I was 8 months pregnant. At the start of the year I sent my son to day care full time as I actively searched for a job in my profession as a teacher. As time went by and with no work we dropped his days to 3 days and then I got a job in retail. So now I work this retail job and earn less than what I am paying for in child care fees. To top that off I work weekends so I never see my husband.
    Should I just throw in the bucket and be a stay at home mum?
    I would definitely quit the retail job especially if there is no financial gain! I feel your pain, my husband has been looking for a teaching job for over 6 months now and has got nowhere! Luckily his current employer were lovely enough to offer him a full time position (retail) while he finds a teaching job. Could you get a job in another industry but still use your teaching/retail skills even if it's only temporary while you find a teaching job?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OP I feel you know the answer to your own question

I've been working in a stressful job, and although its PT 4 days per week I'm finding I'm just not one of these super mums who can do it all. I'm buggered, sick again and after the extra expenses (c/care and petrol) really not that much better off financially!!

Only work if you fel you are benefiting from it - otherwise, don't! X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Have you thought about being a private tutor?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I feel for you OP , I looked for work as a relief teacher as well with DD2 in daycare. After trying for two terms I've now gone back to study, the end of which would coincide with the time she starts school which is better for us financially. Volunteering in schools and looking for work when DD2 was 3 years old was a disaster for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Babybloom - you could go to the schools in your local area and tell them you are available for casual teaching the days your son is in daycare. Casual is great as there are no commitments and you don't have to do any preparation, programming or reporting etc. Casual rate is about $340 a day in the public system.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    What area are you in?