+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Best pram for public transport

Hi guys. Ill be looking into buying a pram soon and there are so many choices I don't know where to start! I'm looking for some recommendations. I live in inner city Melbourne and don't drive so I walk or take the tram (new flat floor trams mostly in my area, but there are a few old ones with the steps) everywhere. I occasionally take the train or bus.
    My requirements are:
    - for a newborn onwards
    - easy to get on and off trams
    - not too wide (if that's gonna be an issue on trams or shopping)
    - largest basket for shopping (as I have to walk to the supermarket)
    - wheels that can handle bumpy and cobblestone footpaths
    - easy to get up and down two small steps at my front door

I also would like if I could have the baby could face me and it would be nice if it had an attachment available for a toddler to sit later on if we have another baby in close age. But these aren't deal breakers.

Suggestions? Thanks!

Baby #1 due 28/03/2014!!
    18 months trying, pregnant 1st round Clomid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agh sorry about the typo in the thread name! Doh!

Baby #1 due 28/03/2014!!

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I know you're looking for a pram, but I am in exactly the same situation- non driver, inner city Melbourne. I found the absolutely best solution was a carrier for a newborn and then a Maclaren stroller from about 5 months. I love my Maclaren. I can get it up and down trams on my own, and quite often the biggest dilemma with pt is trying to get on crowded trams/buses. With a stroller you can fold it down and sling it over your shoulder in a pinch. The basket is really small, but I do grocery shopping online or do smaller shops. The other thing you could do is just get a pram you really love and use it when you won't need to catch pt, or if you'll be going when you're pretty confident you won't have to get on a tram or on a busy train, and use that for walking to the shops. Then get a stroller/use a carrier for pt trips. Because even on buses sometimes there will already be 2 prams on there and there's nowhere to fit a 3rd, whereas a stroller you can squeeze in or fold it up.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

3cats1pug  (22-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I know you're looking for a pram, but I am in exactly the same situation- non driver, inner city Melbourne. I found the absolutely best solution was a carrier for a newborn and then a Maclaren stroller from about 5 months. I love my Maclaren. I can get it up and down trams on my own, and quite often the biggest dilemma with pt is trying to get on crowded trams/buses. With a stroller you can fold it down and sling it over your shoulder in a pinch. The basket is really small, but I do grocery shopping online or do smaller shops. The other thing you could do is just get a pram you really love and use it when you won't need to catch pt, or if you'll be going when you're pretty confident you won't have to get on a tram or on a busy train, and use that for walking to the shops. Then get a stroller/use a carrier for pt trips. Because even on buses sometimes there will already be 2 prams on there and there's nowhere to fit a 3rd, whereas a stroller you can squeeze in or fold it up.
    Thank you for responding.
    I catch trams nearly ever time I leave the house so there really is no avoiding it. I also take the tram to the supermarket.
    I don't think a sling would work for me. I have a jaw problem and I get pain when I carry heavy things. I don't think I'd be folding the pram up on transport as I would have things in the basket and don't want to be carrying the baby and nappy bag and my handbag! Trams go every 10 mins from outside my house so if the tram is full ill just have to wait for the next one. I can work out my travel to avoid peak times (already do this. Can't stand taking a tram out of the city from 4pm onwards!)

So the pram u have can't be used for newborns?

Baby #1 due 28/03/2014!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got a babyzen yoyo from Roger Armstrong, specifically for use on trams. It doesn't lay back completely so they don't officially recommend it until 3 months though.
    Its easy to fold and can be carried like a tote bag, super light too.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to orlyon For This Useful Post:

3cats1pug  (22-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The combi prams are really light, one hand fold, narrow and can lay flat. They can also face you although some can be awkward to steer that way.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Grebbeci For This Useful Post:

3cats1pug  (22-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Grebbeci View Post
    The combi prams are really light, one hand fold, narrow and can lay flat. They can also face you although some can be awkward to steer that way.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I second the combi prams, they are extremely light and I think most are from newborn to toddler. One handed fold and would be quick and easy to fold on the tram if you needed to. There are a few models that the handle can be reversed but as Grebecci said it can be harder to push that way as it changes the steering. As they are a stroller style the baskets underneath aren't overly big and because they're so light you probably couldn't hang a nappy bag off them either.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following User Says Thank You to haveheart For This Useful Post:

3cats1pug  (22-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for everyone who has offered suggestions so far.
    How it folds up isn't a top priority as I don't think I'll be folding it up much.

I definitely want a pram with the largest basket possible and the ability to hang things off it (without risking tipping it over) to save me trying to push it and carry bags.

Should I be looking at 3 or 4 wheels? 3 wheels look easier to get up into a tram but not having tried it I dunno. I'm liking the look of the big rubber air filled wheeled prams. Are these better than plastic wheels? How likely am I to get a puncture?

Baby #1 due 28/03/2014!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    combi are great, you just can't attach toddler seats on them.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

3cats1pug  (22-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 3cats1pug View Post
    Thanks for everyone who has offered suggestions so far.
    How it folds up isn't a top priority as I don't think I'll be folding it up much.

I definitely want a pram with the largest basket possible and the ability to hang things off it (without risking tipping it over) to save me trying to push it and carry bags.

Should I be looking at 3 or 4 wheels? 3 wheels look easier to get up into a tram but not having tried it I dunno. I'm liking the look of the big rubber air filled wheeled prams. Are these better than plastic wheels? How likely am I to get a puncture?

Baby #1 due 28/03/2014!!
    If you're looking for something that can definitely have bags hung off it I wouldn't go with a stroller style at all or a 3 Wheeler, you probably need to go with something a lot bigger and sturdier which means it probably won't be ideal for trams though!
    I had a pram with pump up wheels that I used for 2.5 years without getting a puncture but you can buy spare inner tubes and keep them in the pram if you're worried about getting stranded.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app