+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default PLEASE HELP!! Stomach bug, iron tablet reaction or STRESS??!! WARNING TMI!!

This is going to be way tmi but Im hoping someone on here will be able to help me with a similar experience. Monday after breakfast I had to run to the loo with a very loose bm, and a second one not long after. Felt fine for the rest of the day and put it down to a normal once in a while for me pregnant thing. Tuesday I had the same thing but only one and felt fine the rest of the day. Wednesday I had it again but it was 3 or 4 times from morning to mid afternoon and in the evening felt like I needed to go again but nothing happened. Thursday I decided to cut out milk as it seemed to be happening not long after consuming milk. I also stopped my iron tablets as I had this trouble a few months ago and I found I had no bm that day although I just generally felt unwell with a complete lack of motivation and full of lethargy. I couldn't get into my gp so saw someone else who did a urine sample which was normal as was my temp and bp. She let me go saying it was probably just a stomach bug but I wasn't convinced as I don't feel like I have a stomach bug and no one else in the house has it (I also am extremely thingy with handwashing and sanitizing and take probiotics daily) Fri morning I thought id try a quarter cup of milk with breakfast and it happened again - 1 loose bm and feeling not quite right and lethargic all day. Saturday I had 2 bm throughout the day which weren't loose or runny but seemed to be on their way to forming shape again. Still felt not right though. Then sun (this morning) I woke up at 230am needing to rush to the toilet with diarreah. This happened twice within half an hr. I have had no more today. After stopping my iron the bm turned bright yellow. I have had no stomach pains. I saw a diff doc today who said it was gastro without really asking too many questions. I spoke to a midwife on the phone who said to ask for blood tests for food poisoning and listeria etc but he said not necessary and so I asked to take a stool sample container with me if it continues. Im just not convinced its a stomach bug as its been 7 days now and no one else has caught it and I seem to have some days without loose bowels but then it goes backwards again..... so my question is how long do iron supplements take to leave your system after you stop taking them? I have had loose bm problems with iron tablets before but it usually stops as soon as I stop taking them. Does this sound like a stomach bug to anyone? And I am under a lot of stress and upset from a narcissistic mil at the moment does anybody think stress could be causing this (I thought maybe but why the bright yellow bm??!!) Thanks in advance for your help xx I forgot to mention I am 25 weeks pregnant and have a slight fear that it could be sign of preterm labour approaching due to having an amnio at 16 weeks, having low papp a and 2 weeks ago being in hospital from slight once off bleeding and full on Braxton hicks (my cervix was still closed)
    Last edited by jazi82; 21-07-2013 at 19:25.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Has you dr done a stool sample?

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    Has you dr done a stool sample?
    Sorry, just saw that you had already mentioned this.

Could it be the iron supplement doesn't agree with you. Could you try a different kind?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure about your iron question. .. but I got diarrhea on and off like that my entire pregnancy. .. seems it was my morning sickness. .. could that be it??? Stress could definitely cause it but maybe not when you're asleep maybe??? I don't know. .. sorry I'm not helpful but sympathy because it sucks!!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not sure where you are, but if its brisbane there is a nasty gastro going around. i just got over it and so did ds and dd. I had it for 5 days and had one day of runny bm and a week of nausea and lethargic. Ds was vomiting non stop for 24hrs and dd had runny bm and one vomit. We all had stomach cramps. Hope you feel better soon...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Also, I get the same thing with milk when I drink too much.. I noticed when I started iron that I had similar but bm were almost black.
    Not sure if this has something to do with it, but doesn't calcium reduce iron absorption?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh yeah. When I went to the dr we were all told to avoid dairy as it makes Gastro worse.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I suffered something similar with my last pregnancy. At first I didn't think to much of it because I have had ibs since I had dd1 so it wasn't entirely unusual but after a few days of it i stopped taking my iron tablets because starting them coincided with when my problems started. Anyway for me that turned out to be the problem, by about a week later i was back to normal (for me). I tried taking them again a couple of weeks after dd3 was born and was woken up at 6am by the same stomach aches/bm so haven't touched them since!