+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD2 is 9 nearly 10 and she gets $10 a fortnight, this is for unpacking the dishwasher usually once a day - but sometimes twice a day, bringing in the wheelie bins, keeping the cats water bowl topped up and washing her 5 year old sisters hair in the shower. At times we might ask her to do other odd jobs here and there.

She has to do these things without complaining and when she is asked - if she complains or doesn't do it when asked she gets a "strike", one strike equals 50 cents, and this is deducted off her fortnightly amount, but she can also earn extra if we think she has done a particualry good job with something, or done something without being asked etc.

Keeping her bedroom tidy, cleaning her teeth and getting ready for school is not part of her pocket money - it is something we expect of her as a member of the family.

DD3 gets $4 a fortnight - she doesn't really understand the concept of money but she has a money box and a school bank account. Her job is to feed the cat dry food and hold DD1's hand when I brush her hair in the mornings (DD1 has a disability and HATES having her brushed, but loves it when her little sister holds her hands!). We expect her to get herself dressed for kinder and put her lunch box and drink bottle in her bag as well as keep her room tidy - again these are things we just expect of her, not things that are done for pocket money.

Both girls are expected to put money in their school bank accounts each week. DD2 likes to keep about $10 in her money box for extra's and the rest she saves. At the moment she is saving up for an ipod. She has $185 so far, when she gets to $250 we will make up the rest.

At Christmas time we also go halves with them in a present for the local Giving Tree - they have to use their own money for this - and they get to choose the present and how much is spent. So far they have been really good at picking out things they would like to receive, and not too cheap either.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SpottySocks For This Useful Post:

Spotdog  (21-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyPants View Post
    If so, what chores do they do and how old are they?

Do they get pocket money for doing chores.

My DD is 9 and she gets $5 per week for making her bed every day, brushing her teeth, tidying her room (sort of), and getting ready for school in the morning.

I'm thinking of implementing other household chores into our daily life but need ideas on what chores to give them, which don't involve me having to re-do whatever they've done. I also have a DS who is 5.

TIA
    OP I think this is pretty good deal for your DD! When I was 9 I was doing the whole family's washing and by 12 I was ironing. Brushing teeth and getting ready for school aren't chores IMO. Maybe she could help feed pets, do dishes, rake the leaves, take the rubbish out etc. My sister and I did all of this around her age and it didn't do us any harm! It was part of being a family.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Spotdog For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (21-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS1 is 5 and gets $1 a week pocket money. He came up with a list of jobs with me. He already did most of this stuff but now he does it without me asking in order to earn his pocket money. I did this because he has friends that seem to get given new things often. I've only ever bought him things on his birthday or Christmas. He got Skylanders for his birthday in April and was really wanting characters so he could do the challenges. So I started the pocket money. (He also sells off toys he's grown out of so can update that way as well.) I've always been a fantastic budgeter and can save money really well. Even becoming a single parent and having a family income which is now $100,000+ less I still can save and I want to install this in my boys. Sorry to harp on there ....

Jobs he does are:
    Set table for meals and puts plates in sink after.
    Clean playroom
    Pack up outside area (toys etc.)
    Clean bedroom
    Unpack his bag in the afternoon
    Plus he just helps me out in general

My DS2 who is 2 puts his stuff in the sink and 'helps' pack up but no pocket money.

As I said he was already doing this as we are a team but now he does it without me asking him to as often.

We went to grab an ice cream last night and DS1 asked if he could pay for his with his pocket money. Very cute.
    Last edited by Theboys&me; 21-07-2013 at 15:13.

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    My kids do jobs, they don't get pocket money for that. I teach them that is what you do when your part of a family, you pull together and get the house clean and tidy.

They do to jobs for money but the special jobs not the everyday stuff.
    This

This is how my mum did it when I was growing up

My kids are soon to be 5 & 7

Thanks
    Reviews
    Self care and basic life necessities are not paid, they are just what we have to teach out children so they can survive. As a friend who is a child psychologist says "We shouldn't be rewarding children just for breathing, it just lowers the bar. Give them something to strive for, more than a PC goal of mediocrity"

Oh and I am speaking from experience, seeing I have already had the opportunity to get it wrong . Trust me, it makes it very hard during the teenage years when you realise you should have made them work a bit harder for things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    At this stage, my 5 & 3 year old put their plates in sink, pack up after themselves, put dirty clothes in the washing basket. I don't have set chores yet, but they always want to help me vacuum, mop, spray table, hang washing out and fold it etc. but really, they're more of a hindrance at this stage. I still let them help, but just smile and encourage, however, inside I want to scream, lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 4yr old dd has a job chart. She has to make her bed, feed the dog, feed the fish, get dressed without arguing about clothing options, and clean up her toys. She gets a stamp for each job each day and at the end of the weekend, do a family excursion of her choosing. No money. Though she saw something she wanted at the shops and she has to do her jobs for 2 weeks without missing any, and DH said he will buy it for her.
    She is also expected to set the table at dinner time, help out with cooking, put clothes in the laundry, put clean clothes away etc. but they are part of contributing to our family and not being lazy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your posts & comments, makes me realise how good DD has it, LOL! We've had a big discussion about it and pointed out how important it is that we all pull together, and help out by doing whatever chores need to be done without complaining, that's what being a family is all about. I totally agree with everyone's comments along those lines. Thank again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS is 2 years and 9 months and he has to put his dirty clothes in the washing basket, he helps set the table and unpack the dish washer. Each week I put $20 into his bank account and he gets a few dollars in coins to put into his money box.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    You might find this helpful, OP:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374386874.092278.jpg