+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Do your kids do chores around the house?

If so, what chores do they do and how old are they?

Do they get pocket money for doing chores.

My DD is 9 and she gets $5 per week for making her bed every day, brushing her teeth, tidying her room (sort of), and getting ready for school in the morning.

I'm thinking of implementing other household chores into our daily life but need ideas on what chores to give them, which don't involve me having to re-do whatever they've done. I also have a DS who is 5.

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We had this discussion in the DIG I'm in and realised I'm to easy on my girls so have implemented a few chores. My girls are 1,3,4&6. They need to keep their rooms and play area tidy, put their plates in kitchen when they are finished eating and my 4&6 year old pack the dishwasher for me. DD1 enjoys vacuuming to but that's mainly just for fun.
    I don't do pocket money though, more for the fact that they don't need anything and if there's something they want then we do it on merit for being well behaved.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

GrumpyPants  (21-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    My kids do jobs, they don't get pocket money for that. I teach them that is what you do when your part of a family, you pull together and get the house clean and tidy.

They do to jobs for money but the special jobs not the everyday stuff.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

bunkx  (21-07-2013),GrumpyPants  (21-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Oh my kids range from 1 to 19 yr.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our kids help because they are part of the family. They are expected to make their beds, pick up after themselves and each other, make their beds. make their school lunches, take out the rubbish, etc etc.

I will never pay them to do those jobs, they are just thjngs you do as part of a family. I feel really strongly about that. It just seems normal to me that kids should be taught to do that and from a young age. My kids are 2,4,5,9 and 13.

If they want to earn money we come up with a plan so that they can. Our eldest works in my business for me and gets paid and the next one done does some special jobs there if he wants money. They don't really have any need for money any younger than that but we do do it on occasion.

There's alot of jobs that I need to finish off or redo but that's how they learn!
    Last edited by Ffrenchknickers; 21-07-2013 at 14:14.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

GrumpyPants  (21-07-2013),LoveLivesHere  (21-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 3 year old ds has been helping make dinner and set the table for a little over 6 months, he also has to put his bowls in the sink and help me tidy his own room. He gets spare change that goes into his money box no set amount.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to chickenfoot83 For This Useful Post:

GrumpyPants  (21-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 5 yr old has jobs but like others he doesn't get pocket money. He has extra jobs when he is naughty or for Tantrums.
    He also has jobs he can do for money if he wants school lunches or money for something.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    my 9 year old gets $2 a week ( i pay for everything else...the $2 is usually canteen money for school). He needs to bring in the bins after bin day and pair the socks.

He also does anything asked not for money....unloads dishwasher, keeps room tidy, makes bed, helps with his sister, gets his school and sports stuff ready, packs his lunchbox.

Our deal is that if we ask him to do something he says yes, does it without complaint and does it straight away (within reason).

When he starts Year 5 (he in year 3 now) we will be adding more by way of cooking/preparing food and also bathroom/toilet cleaning

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My 6 yr old dd and 3 1/2 yr ds must help me pack up their toys at the end of the day. They don't get pocket money for it but sometimes if they aren't in a cleaning mood i will give them a sticker as a reward to help. Dd has helped me do dishes a few times.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I also agree with those jobs being a responsibility as a family and not getting money for them.