+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Switching from breastfeeding to formula - worried i may be switching too quickly..

My baby is 5 weeks and 5 days old. I made the decision 5 days ago to start mixed feeding her. Finding breastfeeding far too stressful, she was gaining weight but never seemed satisfied, never content, i was so stressed everyone was worried i was going to get post natal depression and the second i decided to try formula as her last feed for the night i was instantly more relaxed and felt much better. She has been doing really well, seems to actually love the formula. I'm just worried now that my breastmilk supply is drying up too quickly - i had planned to slowly change her over, but i'm finding that by lunchtime my breasts feel completely empty and yesterday i feed her a feeds at 1, 4 and 6:30 were all formula. My breasts are huge in the morning and she has her morning feed from me and the next feed of the day. I know some people just switch their babies over with no transition, but i just wanted to check that she would be ok to be changing over so quickly??? I'm seeing my midwife for her weigh in tomorrow and i'm dreading what she's going to say to me when i tell her that she's pretty much mostly on formula now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Your Baby. .. yours is the only opinion that matters. If stopping breastfeeding makes you feel less stressed and you can relax a bit then you do what's best. If you want to continue then continue to mix feed. . though your supply will adjust to that. Also having a full or empty feeling doesn't always mean something. I never got that full feeling but had plenty of milk. Before switching over and I was pumping exclusively. You could try expressing for 20 minutes at night if you wanted instead of feeding. .. might help with supply.
    As for formula. . trust me your baby will show you if they are not tolerating it. Usually 1-2 weeks on a formula will show how they handle it. But if bub is not showing any signs of being uncomfortable then it's probably okay.
    Do not beat yourself up about feeding. You need to do what is right for you and your baby. But do make sure you really want to give up before you do. .. sometimes saying to yourself I'll go one more week and reassess how I'm going and you might have a clearer head about it. It's hard to go back to bfing if you've nearly given up. And don't let anyone tell you what is right or wrong. Only you can make that decision.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Firstly, your doing a great job no matter how you feed. Breast feeding is not worth you being stressed out to the point of pnd. It's understandable you milk supply will begin to subside if your not bf as much. This being said, I never had enough milk to feed my baby after 2 weeks and I acted quickly when I realized and swapped to formula ASAP. My middy was very supportive so was my child Heath care nurse. Yes you may get one that's a bit too pro bf, but if your mental Heath is in the line no middy or professional should judge your choice & it's your choice. Your baby does get everything they need form formula and you've lasted until 5 weeks that's a great start you've given your lo. Keep up the good work & do what works for you x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Tamtam. i do definately want to change her to formula, i've been thinking about since about 2 weeks, but have just kept thinking i'll wait another week. It's not that she was a completely terrible child or anything, she's actually pretty good most of the time. It's more me, i'm a complete stress head, can't stand the thought of not knowing if she's getting enough food, hated that no-one could help me feed her (i could express but not very much), hated trying to make sure i was eating the right things to keep my milk supply up, not eating things in case they made her upset etc. It was just all too much for me. I express some after she has gone to bed, her last 2 feed of the day at least are formula - and her last 3 feed yesterday were formula. I think give her a dream feed about 9:30 from the breast. If she wakes in the middle of the night if it's my turn to get up to her then she gets some from the breast or if hubby is on night shift he gives her a bottle. I guess i'll just see how things go and hope that she doesn't have any issues with the formula. How often should they do a poo on formula, while she has been breastfed she could poo 3 times a day sometimes, and sometimes only once.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Formula usually changes the poop.. it may take a bit to completely settle down and become regular. Formula fed babies 'they' say should poop every day. . but all my health professionals (of which I see a lot due to dds health) say that up to three days then you might want to help. Trust me you'll know if your bub is a bit constipated. Squirming and pulling legs up and straining with no result would all be signs.
    You've done a great job and doing what your doing with some feeds formula and some bf is a good way. My dd went from ebm (fortified with a bit formula) to three bottles a day of formula. . then about 5 bottles. . then all (she had 8 bottles a day...Just because of her needs) and I did this and all was fine.
    I hope your chn is supportive and helpful.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I switched dd from bf to formula and noticed no changes in her at all....not even her poo

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't beat yourself up, SammyO. Do whatever you feel most comfortable with.

I switched DD2 at 2 weeks, and we were all happier for it. I haven't received any negativity from any health care providers either.

You don't need to justify yourself to anyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds like you are happy with your decision to FF and that is the main thing along with your baby being fed and happy which sounds like she is!

Definitely don't beat yourself up. I mix fed from a few days old and he was solely on formula from 3 weeks old. We had a few tummy issues while we found the right formula for him (Bellamy's) and had no issues at all after that.

Don't let anyone make you feel bad. Your baby, your decision, and formula is in no way bad for babies.

Good luck x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We used Bellamys too.

I struggled through 3 months of painful breastfeeding and honestly i will never do that to myself again it was awful.

If it doesnt work out this time then ill switch with no regrets xx All the best.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app