+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Painful feeding - need help

I have had very painful nipples for weeks. They aren't itchy. I get shooting pains in the breast after feeding which stops me getting to sleep during the night. At the start of the feed it is so painful I cringe at the though of putting my nipple in his mouth.
    I had a blocked duct the other week and managed to unblock it without getting mastitis. In the night I get hard lumps which massaging and heat don't help but cabbage does so usually wear it to bed. I was only getting the lumps on the left. Now today it's just on the right.

The doc prescribed Nilstat which I took a course of and it may have improved slightly but I finished it a week ago and the pain is still horrible.

My nipples are cracked but that's just the beginning of the problem.

Do I have thrush? I just bought Daktarin gel. What should I do with it?
    Why do I continually get the hard lumps?
    I really want the pain gone!!!
    Please help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am certainly no expert, but it sounds like thrush is a possibility. The royal women's hospital website has some good information that my LC/GP recommended.

http://www.thewomens.org.au/Breastandnipplethrush

http://www.thewomens.org.au/uploads/..._Lactation.pdf

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou!! Ill have a read

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like thrush which I finally seem to have beaten. I used daktarin gel on my nipples after I let them air dry after every feed. I also put a bit of the gel on my little finger and put it in bub's mouth, all over her tongue and cheeks even though there were no spots in her mouth. It felt better after a few days but I am still keeping up with the gel to be sure.

Also, make sure you change breast pads often and wash bras frequently. If you're pumping, be sure to sterilise after each use and don't save any milk from when you had the thrush as it can reinfect bub's mouth then your nipples again.

I had the sharp stabby pains and know how painful it is, I was in tears at every feed the day I started treating it!

sent from my magical device

5. The Following User Says Thank You to angelini For This Useful Post:

Shinning  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Vasospasm?
    https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/vasospasm
    I have met another lady who had this and was diagnosed with thrush she didn't have......

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zabella For This Useful Post:

Shinning  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    All good advice just go easy with the cabbage as its often used to help decrease milk supply

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone!! I'm only using the cabbage on the blocked lumpy breast. Hope it will unblock overnight like last time. The vasospasm is interesting. I do get the white nipple. Not sure about red/blue.
    Breastfeeding is so challenging. Who wants to air dry nipples at 3am!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinning View Post
    Thanks everyone!! I'm only using the cabbage on the blocked lumpy breast. Hope it will unblock overnight like last time. The vasospasm is interesting. I do get the white nipple. Not sure about red/blue.
    Breastfeeding is so challenging. Who wants to air dry nipples at 3am!!
    I'm now into air drying nipples in front of mil territory!

Good luck, I hope it feels better soon

sent from my magical device

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have vasospasm. I was lucky enough to have an awesome lactation consultant come to me at home and she was able to see my white nipples and diagnose it. Mine don't go red and blue either, just white.

Easiest test would be to just go top off for a 10 minutes while its cold in the evening, if they get sore/ go white you most likely have vasospasm. I get a stabbing kind of pain.

I would recommend seeing a lactation consultant and seeing if they can diagnose. I don't manage it with vitamins, I simply take extra steps to keep warm such as heat packs, using a plug in heated throw rug, wear extra singlet layers etc.

Seeing the lactation consultant instantly took away my pain with better technique, it's amazing how small things like keeping shoulders relaxed, putting nose to nipple to get a bigger open etc can help. I also used the gel patches and lanisoh as well.

It will get easier and suddenly one day you will realise all the pain is just gone and its easier. So much easier with baby #2 as well.

Vasospasm pain will never go away though especially when feeding during winter, it's just to manage it with vitamins or heat. I find keeping warm solves it though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the replies. Every time I get the lumps it on the top of the breast so is hard to do the chin but luckily they cleared again last night with two pumping sessions & a feed.

I've been concentrating of proper latching today and I don't think it's thrush. I definitely have the blanched nipples.

I have started using the lansinoh gel again. I stopped as read somewhere it can cause thrush but I think some of the pain is from cracked nipples and I hadn't realised.

I went to a lac at 4wks so I might go back for a follow up I think.