+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would report them... It isnt fair, Australia is lucky to have a good welfare system in place to help those that NEED it and those who fraud the system are essentially stealing from us all! The $$$ that gets 'wrongfully claimed' could truly be used to better our country/help those that are struggling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Whoknows View Post
    Yes I have seen proof I am 100% sure.
    In that case letter option, followed by dobbing them in for sure. Also I would sen the letter from an anon hotmail account, not snail mail.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm it is a hard decision, but I would report them. So many people are doing it tough by being honest and it ****s me that people lying have it cushy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    its hard if its family but you could do it anonymously.

I know two couples who do the exact same thing and have for years. ****ed me off to no end, especially as they go overseas twice a year and always have money to go away as hubby earns a good wage. I wouldn't assume CL will find out, lots of people never get found out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know why people are so hesitant about telling centrelink, other than the concern for the children... Is it part of that anti-dobber thing we all seem to be hanging onto? A "no one likes a dibber dobber" kind of thing?
    If you look at it like this, op, I think the answer becomes clear: our local school has broken toilets, and is attempting to fundraise to have them fixed. The cost is around 30,000. So if your relatives weren't claiming fraudulently, the school could fix its loos. Of course I know that's not the way it works, but every dollar they steal is a dollar that could've gone to health or education or any number of programs. Surely it's your "civic duty" to Report?

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to twotrunks For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (21-07-2013),Busy-Bee  (21-07-2013),dancingchipmunk  (21-07-2013),Purple Lily  (21-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twotrunks View Post
    I don't know why people are so hesitant about telling centrelink, other than the concern for the children... Is it part of that anti-dobber thing we all seem to be hanging onto? A "no one likes a dibber dobber" kind of thing?
    If you look at it like this, op, I think the answer becomes clear: our local school has broken toilets, and is attempting to fundraise to have them fixed. The cost is around 30,000. So if your relatives weren't claiming fraudulently, the school could fix its loos. Of course I know that's not the way it works, but every dollar they steal is a dollar that could've gone to health or education or any number of programs. Surely it's your "civic duty" to Report?
    I actually think it's more to do with the knowledge that you're potentially going to do something to put a member of your family in jail.
    Knowledge that you will then financially screw them to a degree, thus affecting the children who haven't done anything.
    Etc etc.

In a perfect world it would be as easy as saying "Well, they broke the law, this is simply what happens." But the weight in this world would lay heavy on someonea heart and shoulders even if it is the right thing to do.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

babyla  (21-07-2013),Luna Lovegood  (21-07-2013),MonsterMoosMum  (21-07-2013),SassyMummy  (21-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    I actually think it's more to do with the knowledge that you're potentially going to do something to put a member of your family in jail.
    Knowledge that you will then financially screw them to a degree, thus affecting the children who haven't done anything.
    Etc etc.

In a perfect world it would be as easy as saying "Well, they broke the law, this is simply what happens." But the weight in this world would lay heavy on someonea heart and shoulders even if it is the right thing to do.

Yep for me it's not condoning what they're supposedly doing at all, far from it.

If I was so morally opposed to it then rather than going behind my own families back to potentially do something very damaging I would feel I would need to talk to them first. I just think if you don't feel comfortable telling them and need to "dob" them in behind their back then be prepared for how you could potentially feel after wards. The whole notion of doing this to your family without giving them the option to explain anything is a bit off imo. If you feel so strongly about it then be up front about it before you potentially really make a mess of things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It's not about not dobbing because I don't want to be a dobber. I don't care about that.

It's more that I don't think the potential punishment is something I want to be a part of. I do not want to see anyone I care about go through that... even if their own actions lead to it. I want no part in that.

I also think that welfare is such a small part of government expenditure... if nobody fraudulently collect welfare payments, I don't believe that would mean better schools or healthcare or anything. I think it would most likely just go towards other pointless things...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (21-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    I actually think it's more to do with the knowledge that you're potentially going to do something to put a member of your family in jail. Knowledge that you will then financially screw them to a degree, thus affecting the children who haven't done anything. Etc etc.

Plenty of things happen in this world that affect children even though though haven't done anything. Parents split up, get illnesses and die and nobody can do a damn thing about it.

This is something that these parents can control. By the sounds of it the kids would have had quite a nice life even if the parents hadn't be fraudulent. The more money they steal, the greater the penalty and consequences are going to be. They're the ones that put themselves into this situation, they need to be responsible and accountable for their actions. I don't believe for one second that they wouldn't know what they're doing.

I think this just proves there should be a lot more checks done before handing out centrelink money and that people should be accountable to the government as to where they're centrelink money is going.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    Plenty of things happen in this world that affect children even though though haven't done anything. Parents split up, get illnesses and die and nobody can do a damn thing about it.

This is something that these parents can control. By the sounds of it the kids would have had quite a nice life even if the parents hadn't be fraudulent. The more money they steal, the greater the penalty and consequences are going to be. They're the ones that put themselves into this situation, they need to be responsible and accountable for their actions. I don't believe for one second that they wouldn't know what they're doing.

I think this just proves there should be a lot more checks done before handing out centrelink money and that people should be accountable to the government as to where they're centrelink money is going.
    At no point did I say what they did was right or I agree with it. I just think it's a lot harder for someone to have the reaponsibility of the consequences that will befall a member of her own family on her shoulders and it's not a matter of dobbing but likely the guilt and upsetness that would come from it, despite her doing the right thing and not reaponaible for what this couple is doing. If she doesn't say anything then chances are the couple may never be found out despite everything.
    If you think you can put your family in prison easilly then thats okay, but not everybody can. And by the sounds of it that's where one member of this family will end up.