+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 127
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,864
    Thanks
    986
    Thanked
    3,330
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Whoknows View Post
    I will try to keep this brief and I hope I posted in the right section.

    I know someone (family member) who has been claiming single parenting payment for years even though she lives with her husband and he has full time well payed employment.

    From what I can see they don't struggle. They have been on holidays. Bought new cars, purchased there own home years ago and well they never go without.

    It makes me a bit angry. My husband and I do the right thing and we are far from being able to buy our own home, if we cheated like this then yea we would have a deposit in no time, it just doesn't seem fair.

    If I knew someone who rorted the system for a short time because they were genuinely doing it tough then I would happily look the other way. But knowing these people have been doing this for years and look like never stopping I start to get angry, I feel like they are cheating and they don't deserve the new car or the new house but if I reported them for fraud I worry it would effect the children the most because they would take there anger out on them and also the penalty I imagine would be huge.

    What would you do?
    Makes me wonder where his/her correspondence goes if they own their home and live there together?? Also are the loans for the house/cars just in his name? I wouldn't expect you to know all the answers to these bit it all seems a bit far fetched to me. I couldn't keep up with the facade.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,838
    Thanks
    6,199
    Thanked
    16,883
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Theboys&me View Post
    Makes me wonder where his/her correspondence goes if they own their home and live there together?? Also are the loans for the house/cars just in his name? I wouldn't expect you to know all the answers to these bit it all seems a bit far fetched to me. I couldn't keep up with the facade.
    Some use PO boxes, others list he lives with family. I knew one couple when I was in uni who rented a tiny little unit for him to 'live' in. The rent was cheap, and even after paying it they were still way ahead.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,864
    Thanks
    986
    Thanked
    3,330
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Some use PO boxes, others list he lives with family. I knew one couple when I was in uni who rented a tiny little unit for him to 'live' in. The rent was cheap, and even after paying it they were still way ahead.
    Man!! Too much effort for me!!!

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

    Ffrenchknickers  (21-07-2013),Night Owl  (21-07-2013)

  5. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    205
    Thanks
    170
    Thanked
    110
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Some use PO boxes, others list he lives with family. I knew one couple when I was in uni who rented a tiny little unit for him to 'live' in. The rent was cheap, and even after paying it they were still way ahead.
    Yep. It's actually pretty simple really. Also even if you are married its pretty easy to say you're separated and centrelink would never question why you might not get a divorce.

  6. #55
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    149
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked
    73
    Reviews
    0
    If you are reporting on moral grounds because what they are doing is fraud and theft then no problem. However a fair bit of what you say sounds personal and self involved, all about what they have and you don't etc. think about why you have a problem with it, then you can respond in a suitable manner without jumping the gun.

    Is it the big picture of the fact they are scamming and defrauding the pension system? Or because you feel personally annoyed and it becomes a vendetta, revenge, lesson teaching experience.

  7. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    149
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked
    73
    Reviews
    0
    Interesting that Centrelink is so slack in investigating, we had to fight, claw and defend our right to help when I managed to get out of an abusive relationship. We nearly lost everything and I was terrified we were going to end up homeless as they delayed and made me supply more and more evidence. I begged them to come investigate the house but they said it was too far for them to bother.

    Thankfully a family friend found us an old vacant house so we had a roof over our heads.

  8. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    205
    Thanks
    170
    Thanked
    110
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Des1102 View Post
    If you are reporting on moral grounds because what they are doing is fraud and theft then no problem. However a fair bit of what you say sounds personal and self involved, all about what they have and you don't etc. think about why you have a problem with it, then you can respond in a suitable manner without jumping the gun.

    Is it the big picture of the fact they are scamming and defrauding the pension system? Or because you feel personally annoyed and it becomes a vendetta, revenge, lesson teaching experience.
    I have re read through my posts because I was surprised that someone would think 'a fair bit of what I have said sounds personal and self involved'? I don't understand what I have said to make you come to this conclusion. Also what gives you the idea that me considering reporting them for fraud comes down to a vendetta or revenge? Genuine questions because I can not find anything written in my posts that may lead to someone coming to these conclusions.

    Yes I have mentioned that we are hard working and do the right thing but this is to demonstrate my morals and beliefs and why I feel frustrated that these people are ripping off tax payers by the thousands.

    Again I have mentioned their luxury items but again just to demonstrate that they are not struggling financially and are actually taking holidays thanks to stealing money from centrelink.

    And certainly I am not jumping the gun since I have had this argument with myself for years, the should I or shouldn't make a report. I have many times said to the offending person 'aren't you worried about getting caught?'

    The purpose of the OP was to get an idea of what others would do because if this was someone I didn't personally know I would dob them in in a heartbeat, my dilemma is I know this person and would witness the fall out.

  9. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    149
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked
    73
    Reviews
    0
    So even when you reread and question what you have said you feel it is a moral choice, all I did was have you answer your own question.

    Well then report them, obviously you are comfortable with your reasons and have no reason to question reporting them.

    You have to do what is comfortable for you, you know what they are doing is fraudulent and criminal, enabling them to continue to reporting are your choices.

  10. #59
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    9,868
    Thanks
    3,034
    Thanked
    5,843
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'd send them the anonymous letter.

    Say in the letter you know what they have been doing and that it's been going on too long. If they don't stop, you will report.

    This gives them the chance to finally do the right thing. If they keep claiming their payments, I say report them.

    If they end up being punished by the law, then so be it. They know what they are doing is wrong, yet they continue to take the risk.

  11. #60
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sydney South
    Posts
    1,912
    Thanks
    1,224
    Thanked
    845
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you go the anonymous letter route don't forget to cut out letters from a magazine and stick them on instead of writing it (works in the movies lol)

  12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Meld85 For This Useful Post:

    Abi&Beth  (21-07-2013),beebs  (22-07-2013),dancingchipmunk  (21-07-2013),Mokeybear  (21-07-2013),Whoknows  (21-07-2013)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Have you ever cut off a family member?
    By SoThisIsLove in forum Issues with Family Members
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 10-06-2013, 16:55
  2. Centrelink family income update
    By Imnotme in forum Single Parents
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-05-2013, 19:19
  3. Centrelink benefits to newly arrived family of 5
    By Juditv in forum Family Finances
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16-09-2012, 06:06

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Fridge-To-Go Australasia
Xmas with a NEW Fridge-to-go Lunch Bag! Fridge-To-Go Australasia
Fridge-to-go 8 hour cooler bags are ideal under the Christmas tree! Now in modern lunch bag designs - fill them with toys and chocolate to make parents and kids happy! Stay super cool and eat healthy and fresh food all summer long!
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
Softmats
Softmats specialises in safe, non-toxic, and durable play mats. The international Premium Dwinguler™ Play Mats and Premium Bubba Mat™ range of floor spaces are the best quality in the world.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!