+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would. I know there are kids involved OP, but where do we draw the line?

Would it be ok for me to steal from my local shop, because I've got kids? No, clear no. They are stealing. They are taking something they are not entitled to.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dancingchipmunk For This Useful Post:

Blossompossumxxxx  (21-07-2013),delirium  (20-07-2013),Ellewood  (20-07-2013),mumbron  (22-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I think we have to remember this is illegal? I'm sure if we knew for sure someone was stealing TV's from Harvey Norman or dealing drugs we would report them? Just as stealing the tv passes the loss onto the customer, defrauding CL passes it to the tax payer.
    Stealing from Harvey Norman or Drug Dealing - I honestly don't think I would dob those people in either.

I would if I knew they were dealing TO CHILDREN, and I'd dob in people who committed violent crimes, but I honestly wouldn't dob in someone who was doing the above unless it directly affected my life (like they were dealing to my kids, or their dealing was putting my family in danger etc).

I dunno why. They just don't rate highly on my "these people need to be punished and jailed!" list. They're more on a "I wouldn't do it... but meh," list.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I do believe you are thinking of this out of pure jealously, I dont think you should do it out of jealously, if you do it I think it should be because it is illegal not because they flaunt all these great things when your family work really hard and aren't as fortunate.

If it was 100 extra a fortnight and they weren't buying luxuries and showing them off would you feel the same?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't believe how many people think they'd stick by family knowing they're ripping off money from the government. It makes me so angry because I know it's all too common.

If they're getting a ingle parent pension then they'd also be getting full FTB A and B so up to about $1200/fortnight. There's plenty of single parents out there who totally rely on that money and would rather not be claiming handouts from the government, so the fact they are willingly and fraudulently claiming it makes them scumbags IMO - sorry OP but your family deserve to be sobbed in.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (20-07-2013),Blossompossumxxxx  (21-07-2013),HearMeRoar  (20-07-2013),mumbron  (22-07-2013),Smyles  (21-07-2013),VicPark  (20-07-2013)

MrsHoward is offline If all I have is you, then I have everything
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think they would get caught in the end anyway. I have had family do the same thing and ended up owing Centrelink THOUSANDS of dollars !

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    I read a news article about a woman who had defrauded centerlink by about 150k a few years ago. She was jailed for 12 years and had to pay it all back. I admit, I laughed. A lot.
    I went to uni with a lady who claimed she was indigenous so got all the abstudy benefits, disability pensions etc and used to tell us that we were racist towards her etc. Turns out she was an illegal immigrant from one of the pacific island nations, had been deported previously and is now in jail for the next 4.5 years. Was absolutely fuming, as this woman had made our life hell for 3 years and almost got one of my classmates kicked out the degree as she made false accusations that the classmate had made racist comments towards her (even though she wasn't even freaking indigenous!!)

Dob them in. Let them deal with the consequences, it's their problem not yours.

If they cared that much about their kids, they wouldn't have starting to fraud the government in the first place.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I see the point you are making Sassy about kids being without parents if they go to jail. But technically it's the mother that has the fraudulent claim and the money is going to her bank account, so only she would get jail time. The child wouldn't be without both parents. Really, that thought process could be applied to all crime, that jail time means kids lose their parent/s. but really, when you become a parent you are meant to make decisions to benefit your kids, not damage them.

I guess I'm jaded on this topic as I know several couples who have, or are currently ripping the system... and despite saying they 'need' the money they don't. The two where they have been doing it nearly 20 years, I estimate they have defrauded at least 400k in SPP and FTB she isn't entitled to.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

wannawannabe  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't dob them in.
    Mainly because l would be worried about the kids. I would tell them what they are doing is fraud but l don't think l could bring myself to dob them in. I wouldnt want to see my neices or nephews be without a parent...and the kids would potentially end up suffering as a consequence.

I would also make the person aware on consequences so that they know if they get caught they would have to repay the money and could be facing gaol time....and them ask them if it would be worth it?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by Night Owl; 21-07-2013 at 00:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missymoo9 View Post
    I do believe you are thinking of this out of pure jealously, I dont think you should do it out of jealously, if you do it I think it should be because it is illegal not because they flaunt all these great things when your family work really hard and aren't as fortunate.

If it was 100 extra a fortnight and they weren't buying luxuries and showing them off would you feel the same?
    You're wrong it's not out of jealousy. My point about the luxury items was simply to point out that this money is in no way needed. That they could easily survive on what is rightfully theres which would be her husbands wage and some family assistance. As I said in my OP if they or anyone else was struggling and lied to centrelink for a short time while they got themselves back on track I would turn the other cheek.

I am not jealous. I could not do this. I like that my family work hard for what we have it gives me a sense of pride.

I am just someone that believes in doing the right thing. I would dob in a drug dealer. I would dob in a thief. The dilemma here is that it is family and the fact that they are able to afford luxury items means that my mind can not justify the lie or theft it's not about jealousy but yes I do feel a sense of 'this is just not fair'

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would love to be able to do this as my brothers partner claims the spp despite living with my brother I can't stand her and would love to see her have to pay back all the money she has wrongfully obtained but unfortunately it would impact my brother to much if she were to get caught.. I hope one day he wakes up to himself and kicks her butt out then I will rethink dobbing her in.