+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    Dobbers wear nappies.
    Wow what a ridiculas comment.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

Blossompossumxxxx  (22-07-2013),mumbron  (22-07-2013),SoThisIsLove  (22-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    Dobbers wear nappies.
    In my experience the only people that make comments like this are those that do the wrong thing.......or preschoolers - so I would generally ignore it.

Would you make this comment about someone reporting child abuse? Because let's face it that could be labeled as 'dobbing' too.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Whoknows For This Useful Post:

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    it would probably depend if i liked them or not.

but i would only do it from a moral standpoint, not because i was jealous or bitter about our different circumstances.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Whoknows  (22-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    It's a hard one, I hate that people take advantage of the system like that, I believe we are so lucky to be in a country that helps you out if you *need* it.

On the other hand, and this is purely because I haven't been in the situation myself - I am not sure I could dob a family member in for doing it. Even if they were drug dealing or anything like that, I don't think I could do it. Unless they were causing direct harm to a child then I'm not sure I could....

It is a tough one.
    I know I couldn't either and feel the same as above. I just could not get my head around doing it to my family because I'm morally opposed what they're doing, because morally I could not do something that could potentially destroy their family like that behind their back. I have tried to imagine doing to my own brother or sister and it just would never, ever happen.

I understand civic duty but for me this doesn't supersede my loyalty nor moral duty to my family. As beebs said unless they were neglecting their children in some way then it's out of the question for me especially without being upfront about it.

How close is this family member OP? Why not confront them about it first if you feel so strongly about it?
    Last edited by babyla; 22-07-2013 at 17:32.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Whoknows  (22-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think that family dynamics may have something to do with it. My brother doesn't defraud the system (at least, I don't think he does), but at the end of the day, I love him and I look out for him and I try and protect him. If he did defraud the system, I'd let him have it for sure, but if push came to shove, I honestly don't think I could start a chain of events where he could end up in jail - as long as he wasn't hurting anyone I mean. Me myself - I have never defrauded anyone, even when really struggling - so I would be really upset if I did find out he was doing something like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Whoknows View Post
    In my experience the only people that make comments like this are those that do the wrong thing.......or preschoolers - so I would generally ignore it.

Would you make this comment about someone reporting child abuse? Because let's face it that could be labeled as 'dobbing' too.
    Maybe Renesme was just trying to crack a joke and stir the pot a bit. I hate bludgers and would Dob them in no worries... But I had a bit of a chuckle at the dobbers wear nappies comment.

Just a thought I could be totally off base.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Night Owl  (22-07-2013),tatia&shura  (22-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Maybe Renesme was just trying to crack a joke and stir the pot a bit. I hate bludgers and would Dob them in no worries... But I had a bit of a chuckle at the dobbers wear nappies comment.

Just a thought I could be totally off base.
    You could be right......maybe she should have added 'wet ones too'? Just so there was no confusion 😉

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Tell me who it is and I'll dob them in myself!

That's our tax payers money and she's taking advantage and I find that appalling! We work our asses off and they buy new cars and houses that makes me so angry!!

people like that deserve the consequences of their actions!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MichelleClareBear For This Useful Post:

Blossompossumxxxx  (22-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the replies they have really given me lots of different perspectives.

I think what some posters have said about an anonymous letter is a great idea as you would hope it would be enough to stop them claiming which is the result I want, without them being punished in a way that would cause me guilt or negatively effect their children. However as someone earlier said the fact that they have been claiming for years and gotten away with it despite many people knowing tells me that they would probably ignore any letter or just start lying and say they have stopped claiming. So based on this I don't think it would achieve anything.

I also feel that my duty to be loyal to family outweighs my duty to report fraud/theft whatever you want to call it. As much as i would like to see them forced to repay the money they fraudulently claimed i could not play a part in sending this person to jail. I don't agree with what they are doing and I have been vocal about that to others as well as warned them of the consequences should they be caught. Perhaps I will take previous posters advice and make it clear to them how I feel about what they are doing but again given there attitude I don't think it will achieve anything other than frustrate me because I won't be listened to.

In saying all of this I wish that someone else would be braver then me and report them. I think it's our 'cant be a dobber' attitude that makes it so easy for people like this to get away with it and it costs out country a fortune. Its sad to see people take advantage of a system created to help those that are disadvantaged.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I've never seen "dobbers wear nappies," elicit that kind of response outside of a playground before!

I am fairly certain it was a comment made in humour... and I am even more certain that those who responded to it took it FAAAAAAAR more seriously and read WAAAAAAY more into it than needed.

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-07-2013),Boobycino  (23-07-2013),HugsBunny  (29-07-2013),IncyWincy  (23-07-2013),Meld85  (23-07-2013),tatia&shura  (22-07-2013)